By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - IHE Talks Mario Animated Movie

Lol when I saw the title I thought "IHE? Who's that? Is he from Nintendo? Illumination?" Then it turns out to be a thread aboit a ... youtuber ... Honestly who cares what IHE thinks. His distain for Illumination isn't exactly unique and we don't have enough information to make observations about the film, or to laugh with his.

Around the Network
CaptainExplosion said:
Yerm said:

if you make anything flashy enough, people will notice it. Illumination is fully aware of this, but it doesnt mean they make good movies

Despicable Me was good though.

Despicable Me (only the first one) was their best work, that i can agree to, but it is a solid C+ at best.

look, let me break it down for you so you can better understand where im coming from. the original Super Mario Bros movie did so terribly that even full decades later, it is still the reason Nintendo has not made another movie until now, because they are afraid it will be a repeat of last time and they will lose a ton of money. after the long period of fear and distrust of making another movie, they go to Illumination, the company notorious for making huge profits despite having a portfolio of sub-par forgettable movies. no matter the quality of the new Mario movie, they are guaranteed profit, and that is the reason they agreed to do it. they do not have any real faith that the Mario movie will be a good movie

Tbh I don't see where's the problem with a Mario movie: it's true, Mario was never an interesting protagonist, he was just fitting for the player, that doesn't mean he can't get a personality, nor does it mean he has to be on a journey to save Peach. The only real problem imho is that Charles Martinet MUSN'T talk in his Mario voice for all the movie, shure, he can throw a few "Mamma Mia!" in there but he should also talk in his regular voice to allow for the character to be able to talk freely. Talking about plot almost anything could fit: Mario & Cappy's Funky Holiday, an emotional movie where Mario realizes he doesn't have much to do unless Peach is in danger due to Bowser disappearing (I know, it's Wreck it Ralph, but it's also just an example from someone who isn't paid to make a script ), Bowser sending Mario in an alternative universe where he's the bad guy and Bowser the hero and he has to prove he's not harmful...

Yerm said:
CaptainExplosion said:

Despicable Me was good though.

Despicable Me (only the first one) was their best work, that i can agree to, but it is a solid C+ at best.

look, let me break it down for you so you can better understand where im coming from. the original Super Mario Bros movie did so terribly that even full decades later, it is still the reason Nintendo has not made another movie until now, because they are afraid it will be a repeat of last time and they will lose a ton of money. after the long period of fear and distrust of making another movie, they go to Illumination, the company notorious for making huge profits despite having a portfolio of sub-par forgettable movies. no matter the quality of the new Mario movie, they are guaranteed profit, and that is the reason they agreed to do it. they do not have any real faith that the Mario movie will be a good movie

At least the bar was already set low enough by the live-action Mario movie, so if it's more like the games than that movie, then I guess it works.