By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Switch has sold-in (shipped) 14.86 million, 3DS 72 million, Nintendo's FY 2017 Nine Months Earnings

Magnus said:
PortisheadBiscuit said:

What? You act like Nintendo has never ported games from previous systems. Off the top of my head Mario 64, OoT, Majora's Mask, Wind Waker, Twilight Princess, Yoshi's Island, SMB 2, SMB 3, SMW, Link's Awakening were all ported/remastered at some point. In fact Wii U was beneficiary of some of these ports. 

 

Nintendo hasn't screwed anyone, they are in business to make money just like any other corporation. Being salty because more people have access to Wii U games via the Switch is way over the top.

Before the Wii U, Nintendo ported very few games, and the games they did port were ancient. It's nothing like the Wii U ports, where they ported a huge chunk of the Wii U library in just a year after they discontinued the system.

Somebody forgot about the GBA days it seems...



"The strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must" - Thoukydides

Around the Network
CrazyGamer2017 said:
JSG87 said:

These numbers are sell through. 12.17 since April 1st, 14.86 since launch.

Nope, it clearly says "shipped" and not sold. I know Nintendo fans love to jump on positive news like a starving person would on a steak with salad and fries but the fact is "shipped" and "sold" is not the same thing. Unless it sold everything it shipped but then Nintendo would have said "sold" and not shipped. The numbers are good for the Switch of course but no need to jump the gun.

Pathetic.

Even more that in the thread there's mod and not a single warning was thrown.

I can start now to think how to call sony fans now that I know it won't get any consecuence.



Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile


Pavolink said:
CrazyGamer2017 said:

Nope, it clearly says "shipped" and not sold. I know Nintendo fans love to jump on positive news like a starving person would on a steak with salad and fries but the fact is "shipped" and "sold" is not the same thing. Unless it sold everything it shipped but then Nintendo would have said "sold" and not shipped. The numbers are good for the Switch of course but no need to jump the gun.

Pathetic.

Even more that in the thread there's mod and not a single warning was thrown.

I can start now to think how to call sony fans now that I know it won't get any consecuence.

That's fair, though Mods can't be everywhere at all times of the day. I also didn't remember seeing a report on that comment, so none of us would have known there was an issue.  

I'll have another look.



                                                                                                             

Alkibiádēs said:
Magnus said:

Before the Wii U, Nintendo ported very few games, and the games they did port were ancient. It's nothing like the Wii U ports, where they ported a huge chunk of the Wii U library in just a year after they discontinued the system.

Somebody forgot about the GBA days it seems...

What about the GBA days? Most games that were ported to GBA were already ancient.



Magnus said:
NoirSon said:
I am pretty sure I've had this argument before.

Anyway as a Wii U owner, it can suck but business is not about tenderly caring for feelings unless they provide money. Wii U owners are a limited group and didn't provide Nintendo the money they want, so the company is moving on.

I mean this isn't even the first time they have done such things so complaining about the Wii U being bitterly screwed over doesn't change the fact that it failed. Through a number of bad design and marketing choices it was Nintendo's worst system despite the promise and quality software it did have and get. It is better that the good software on it gets another life on the Switch then be relegated to oblivion like whatever good games may have been on other failing systems like the entire Virtual Boy or majority of Saturn (seriously the lack of Panzer Dragoon remakes, sequels or ports is a crime against gaming) exclusive line up.

While I do wish the prices of these ports were more reasonable, saying because they are there is some sort of major insult to gamers that owned the Wii U is overly dramatic and disregards the numerous times most companies have used similar or the same tactics in porting games from a dead system to a live one.

This is the first time Nintendo screwed owners of a system so hard. Nintendo should have done the right thing and keep Wii U games on Wii U.

 

Warned ~ CGI

How is this screwing over Wii U owners? Are the remasters that come out on Switch removing the games from the Wii U?

I have both a Wii U and a Switch, and I'm glad the games are being ported to the Switch. One thing I loved most about the Wii U (and before with the Wii) was it's backward compatibility. Now with the Switch, it's physically impossible to use those big discs on the go, hence why they had to scrap backwards compatibility. Porting over all it's games is a way to ensure both consoles get the games, just like it was with backwards compatibility. The big difference here is that Switch owners don't get to play them for free if they had the Wii U version but have to buy them anew at full price most of the time, which could be argued is screwing Switch owners for their money for a late port - but still not scewing the Wii U.



Around the Network
Bofferbrauer2 said:
Magnus said:

This is the first time Nintendo screwed owners of a system so hard. Nintendo should have done the right thing and keep Wii U games on Wii U.

 

Warned ~ CGI

How is this screwing over Wii U owners? Are the remasters that come out on Switch removing the games from the Wii U?

I have both a Wii U and a Switch, and I'm glad the games are being ported to the Switch. One thing I loved most about the Wii U (and before with the Wii) was it's backward compatibility. Now with the Switch, it's physically impossible to use those big discs on the go, hence why they had to scrap backwards compatibility. Porting over all it's games is a way to ensure both consoles get the games, just like it was with backwards compatibility. The big difference here is that Switch owners don't get to play them for free if they had the Wii U version but have to buy them anew at full price most of the time, which could be argued is screwing Switch owners for their money for a late port - but still not scewing the Wii U.

When the Switch ports have more content than the Wii U games, and you have to buy the game AGAIN to get that content, it is screwing Wii U owners.

Also the Wii U will have no value and no legacy as a result of these ports.

Last edited by Magnus - on 10 February 2018

Pavolink said:
CrazyGamer2017 said:

Nope, it clearly says "shipped" and not sold. I know Nintendo fans love to jump on positive news like a starving person would on a steak with salad and fries but the fact is "shipped" and "sold" is not the same thing. Unless it sold everything it shipped but then Nintendo would have said "sold" and not shipped. The numbers are good for the Switch of course but no need to jump the gun.

Pathetic.

Even more that in the thread there's mod and not a single warning was thrown.

I can start now to think how to call sony fans now that I know it won't get any consecuence.

Wow , That's terrible.



Magnus said:

Also the Wii U will have no value and no legacy as a result of these ports.

I know it sucks.  Nintendo hit the "no fun" button on Wii U and it's no longer possible to enjoy Wii U games at all.  I tried playing Mario Kart 8 over the weekend and it was the most unfulfilling activity I've ever experienced in my life.  I played it for 3 hours with my family and we were just as stoic as you can possibly be from it.

Then I played New Super Mario Bros U and it was the same thing.  Even though it's not on Switch it was now devoid of life and spirit and enjoyment. Played it for hours with the family too. Weird.



Massimus - "Trump already has democrat support."

SpokenTruth said:
Magnus said:

Also the Wii U will have no value and no legacy as a result of these ports.

I know it sucks.  Nintendo hit the "no fun" button on Wii U and it's no longer possible to enjoy Wii U games at all.  I tried playing Mario Kart 8 over the weekend and it was the most unfulfilling activity I've ever experienced in my life.  I played it for 3 hours with my family and we were just as stoic as you can possibly be from it.

Then I played New Super Mario Bros U and it was the same thing.  Even though it's not on Switch it was now devoid of life and spirit and enjoyment. Played it for hours with the family too. Weird.

It's no fun being duped into buying a shit console without exclusives. I don't tolerate such humilliation. And I didn't have nearly as much fun with the Wii U as with the Gamecube or Wii.

 

Moderated ~ CGI

Last edited by CGI-Quality - on 16 February 2018

Magnus said:
SpokenTruth said:

I know it sucks.  Nintendo hit the "no fun" button on Wii U and it's no longer possible to enjoy Wii U games at all.  I tried playing Mario Kart 8 over the weekend and it was the most unfulfilling activity I've ever experienced in my life.  I played it for 3 hours with my family and we were just as stoic as you can possibly be from it.

Then I played New Super Mario Bros U and it was the same thing.  Even though it's not on Switch it was now devoid of life and spirit and enjoyment. Played it for hours with the family too. Weird.

It's no fun being duped into buying a shit console without exclusives. I don't tolerate such humilliation. And I didn't have nearly as much fun with the Wii U as with the Gamecube or Wii.

Yep, I’ve seen enough.