By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Denis Villeneuve Says Bad Box Office Is the Reason ¡®Blade Runner 2049¡¯ Was Shut Out of Best Picture Oscar Race

Blade Runner 2049 is a masterpiece! Best film of the year hands down! The people and the public in general are too stupid (I have to say it) to appreciate true artistic story-telling and vision. And the vision of a dark and lonely future Blade Runner paints is perhaps too scary for most to handle. Shame. I honestly think the movie was just too "serious" without much humour in it for the mainstream to care. 

When something as bad as Star Wars: The Last Jedi (haven't even watched it but won't considering how much I hated Force Awakens - the only star wars film I have seen!) makes over a billion dollars at the box office and Blade Runner 2049 bombs well then you know something must be wrong. I was in heaven in the theater. The film was atmospheric, bleak and dark. Too dark and grim (painted a very scary future) for most people to appreciate, I guess, which makes most people "generic" and not open-minded enough. Kudos to all the Blade Runner fans out there!

Blade Runner 2049 is a work of art and what an insult to not have it included for best picture nomination. It's an insult to cinema. But you know what??? SCREW the oscars! I stopped caring ever since they did not recognize The Passion of the Christ either. Why even care what the Academy thinks anyway??? Why care what ANYONE thinks??? Everyone should just enjoy what they enjoy.

Around the Network

I mean, it was an okay movie, but that's a dumb reason to blame. Lots of underperformers get nods. Mainly, if the studio is pushing for them. Blame Sony/Scott Free Productions for that.

So he just made the movie to get an Oscar nomination?

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

2049 is my Best Picture of 2017, but the argument here is a little iffy. If anything the Oscars get criticized these days for being out of touch with moviegoers, picking films comparatively few people went to see or even heard of (though I think that says more about moviegoers). I was miffed myself to not see it nominated for Best Picture, Director, or Writing, but Denis' comment may just come off as childish to many.

Wind River also needs more recognition and I thought Atomic Blonde was one of the year's more underrated films.

Last edited by TallSilhouette - on 26 January 2018

While I was surprised that it got far fewer nominations than I was expecting, I have to say Shape of the Water was a far bigger surprise quality wise for me. And yes, it deserves every single nomination it can get. Both movies.

OT: I am simply glad that Star Wars was shun massively yet again, regardless the box office draw.

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

Around the Network
StreaK said:

The people and the public in general are too stupid (I have to say it) to appreciate true artistic story-telling and vision.

Isn't one of your favorite films Avatar? 

Ah yes, because Moonlight was such a smashing success at the box office.

Yep, look at all those oscars hary potter got due to its massive success on box office.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

oscars are just politically influenced garbage, he shouldn't care

as someone mentioned earlier in the thread, Moonlight was not a box office success, and still managed to not only get nominated, but win. the controversy in 2016 followed by what happened in 2017 should show you what the modern oscars are all about

The best big budget movie of 2017. I own it and it is glorious to watch when artistic vision is matched with technical wizardry.
I wish it had made a billion as want more like it.