By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Aonuma feels that Breath of the Wild’s freedom needs to be maintained in future Zelda games

Kai_Mao said:
Miyamotoo said:

That's fact, if that is relevant or not that's not point. Maybe he knows maybe he dont knows that, but his post clearly don't point that he knows that, and I was clear about my point. If he dont care he can just stop reply to me.

Still I think you should let it go. Whether he/she knows its critically acclaimed or not is irrelevant. He/she (I'm saying this because I don't know the person) clearly doesn't care for the critical acclaim, whether its one of the highest acclaimed games ever or well-received. It's not gonna change his/her opinion. Trying to correct someone is gonna be irritating more than anything to the person, especially if its something like this. He/she doesn't like the game? Ok, then there's no problem in that, its his or her opinion.

I let it go, I made my point, but than you started reply to me.

Around the Network
AngryLittleAlchemist said:
Jumpin said: 

The big problem I had with the franchise is, while games like Link's Awakening and Majora's Mask were interesting for what they were - they didn't really progress the franchise

I'm not sure how much I'd say that about Majora's Mask. I played Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask for the first time a few weeks before I got my copy of BOTW. My experience is OoT, MM, WW, ALBW, and BOTW. While BOTW is definitely the most significant change and evolution from Ocarina of Time, that's only for a few reasons. First of all, Majora's Mask wouldn't have been a good game to constantly imitate, it's very unique and has it's own personality. Second, it's on the same engine as a previous game and not on a new engine. Third, it has probably the best new features out of the Zelda games I've played, and it has two(arguably three) different main features that completely  change how you play.

I guess Majora's Mask isn't as innovative as BOTW, and it's not really a "new step" for the franchise. But it's such a big side step that it might as well be considered just as unique as BOTW, it's so different and so influential and honestly when you take all that into account it not being the new direction for the series is kind of null and void because making every Zelda like Majora's Mask doesn't make sense in the first place. Basically, it's almost an unfair comparison because BOTW's new step is a blank canvas to make endless sequels with. It's a basic foundation. Majora's Mask is a very specific work and it can't be replicated and shouldn't be. 

That's his point though MM maybe unique but what it brought doesn't progress the franchise in future installments, LOZ, ALTTP and BOTW did as they're set new foundations, I leave OOT out of this group because it didn't really bring anything new for the franchise it just executed it well in full 3d but what it did do however was bring a lot of technical advancements to realise its scope so still managed to progress the franchise through that way.

Even then another unique instalment in SS had an influence in future games by setting an approach that drops the traditional template that had been used since ALTTP, aspects of SS are in ALBW and BOTW.

MTZehvor said:
curl-6 said:

Aside from Thunderblight, I found the entirety of the rest of the experience to be very well balanced, to the point where Thunderblight was simply an isolated blip on the radar; a frustrating one for sure, but nothing game breaking.

All I can really say then is that my experience differs from yours. I found Thunderblight to be one of many notable swings of the difficulty pendulum from an incredibly easy game to a fairly challenging one, with other swings including the first Lynel encounter, Eventide Island, and around the first hour or so of the game, and I would've preferred a more consistent experience from a difficulty standpoint that I think would've been more likely to come with a greater degree of structure.

Oh the first Lynel was scary as fuck, but I don't see that so much as a problem with the difficulty curve because they're presented as optional side bosses that you don't need to take on until you feel you're ready. Part of the game's hands-off approach is letting the player decide if and when they decide to take on the game's tougher challenges. I kinda like that the game gives you that freedom; stuff like the Lynels and the Trail of the Sword are there for those who want them, but don't roadblock those who prefer thing a bit more chill.

Wyrdness said:

That's his point though 

I know ... that's literally what I was addressing?

But whatever, Majora's Mask is just awesome.

Slownenberg said:
Pavolink said:

So, Ocarina of Time in a BotW open world?

Much more like "hyrule is at war" than ocarina. Like for example a "dungeon" could be the goron village is captured and you have to get in and take out ganon's forces occupying it. Maybe another area is under siege and you have to go through the enemy encampment and take them out to free the area, and you could do that a multitude of different ways. Maybe another one there is a hyrulian force imprisoned and you have to free them and then fight your way out with them in a series of battles. Stuff like that. Where each dungeon has different objectives and you are free to figure out how you want to beat the dungeon, no one specific way presented. And shrines could be like taking out mini defense posts scattering around the world. Maybe each defense post shrine you free some soldiers. With hyrule castle being the final target but its defenses are such that you can't possibly hope to engage them until you've freed a bunch hyrulian forces and perhaps gained some key powers/items from the dungeons. Then once you have enough forces together you can decide to engage in open battle with ganon's forces outside hyrule castle, if you break through then you can get into the castle and work through that final level. Or maybe there are multiple ways to attack hyrule castle and you can come up with different strategies. But the whole world is open BotW style while still having a story line that makes it so you need to complete some dungeons and shrines first before you are strong enough to take on the final area. Something along those lines.

We are twin souls.

And I'm also twin soul with Aonuma.

We have a high oportunity to see this in the next game.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

Around the Network
SegataSanshiro said:
Pavolink said:

That would be worse than just use the quick menu and select a new one.

There is some rare stuff I have only found 2 of and I purposefully avoid combat because I don't want shit breaking.

For what purpose are you saving that stuff?

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

Was a great game. I just wish they could have added some some more cinematics. The memories u discover were short and i understand being open world they want the journey to be the story, but still i would have liked some cutscenes and probably a talking link with some dramatic scenes and some more boss fights along the way.