By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - ‘Gaming disorder’ to be an official mental health condition

I kind of agree. Too much of anything is a bad thing, and can lead to disorders/diseases. Hell, even drinking something as necessary as water can poison you. I've seen family members of mine literally lose their minds after playing games every day, almost all day. That's not normal.

Around the Network

TBH there is no such thing as normal lol.

We all have our qwerks we think are normal but others think are weird.

As long as we enjoy our life and not harm others, who are we to judge if someone is not meeting your definition of "quality of life"

Cobretti2 said:
TBH there is no such thing as normal lol.

We all have our qwerks we think are normal but others think are weird.

As long as we enjoy our life and not harm others, who are we to judge if someone is not meeting your definition of "quality of life"

Life to me is about winning though.

If I'm not above average at the things I care about, then I don't live.

I LOVE ICELAND!

AngryLittleAlchemist said:

...Not really. I agree that there is an issue people have with being too infatuated with gaming and getting addicted to it. That's a problem that pretty much every hobby or activity can have but for gaming it's probably way easier to get addicted as opposed to other hobbies. Still, I don't see how saying "Well of course this is going to be the response when i'm the only one who can admit there's an issue gosh darnit!" is justified when that's clearly not what I am saying. It really sounds like you're saying this to pretend like you're on a high ground of self awareness. Lol no, I too understand this is an issue with gamers. 

My point about it being "literal" was this : I said that you are being very liberal with what you consider a "mental condition", as in referring to a bad condition. Because, ya know, most people don't just randomly reply to someone with "Oh good morning Mr. Rogers I have a great mental condition today!". And in the context of the discussion we were obviously talking about a negative mental condition. You replied saying basically "No, I was being literal, because any mental state is a mental condition". Not even in the same ball park of the discussion, redundant, and a huge stretch to make a statement literal. 

Now if you want to say that Gaming Disorder is a bad mental condition, that's fine and I think you could say that literally. But that's not even what we were disagreeing on.  Again, you are not addressing the point. I'm saying considering 2 hours of play time a day worthy of being called a "condition" is ridiculous. Not that Gaming Disorder isn't a negative mental condition...

With or without context I'm right either way and in the grammatical sense I end up being right too so what is your point ? Also, 2 hours is what I would call a breaking point ... 

What the fuck are you even talking about at this point? Are you going to actually respond to what I said word for word or are you just going to ask a random question? I don't think I said that bad gaming addictions are normal, but honestly I don't even know what you're referring to...

We're only arguing the extent ... 

I suppose your reply to this too will be that this is a "literal" statement but again, it begs the question, what is the "needed" amount of time for gaming? Because I'd say most people think 2 hours is pretty ok. There is no set amount of time "needed for gaming", so your point is almost irrelevant. It's always going to be a balance of priorities with anything including a job or socializing etc. This is just kind of a non point, you're essentially saying "it's absolutely shitty to spend more time than needed for a hobby" - but the entire discussion was about what constitutes as "needed", or more accurately(needed is such a silly statement for gaming) "unacceptable" time frames . So you're just making a statement that doesn't really mean anything. The entire discussion is about what's excessive and what isn't, so saying it's shitty to be excessive is a no duh.

It's very weird that you practically replied to nothing I said ... lol. And before you say something like "Wow so triggered look at this reply" or "wow I hit a nerve" I am willing to admit that other facets of my life are mentally unstable and that I have bad mental health with my own conditions. Gaming addiction just isn't one of them, so I'd certainly not be defensive over it haha. I genuinely want to/can't understand your opinion. 

When you think about the attach ratio on each systems with their lifetime, people buy a little less than 2 games per year whereas most of us purchase at least 5 or more so we're already abnormal range so to speak. Are you really going to push for the upper limit when this study says otherwise ? Just a moderate change in gaming habits can adversely affect your physical health condition such as your BMI, vision and attention ... 

setsunatenshi said:

Great rebuttal, it made total sense and you really proved your point with this one :)

LEL ...

setsunatenshi said: 
From the OP:

"Increasing priority given to gaming, to the extent that gaming takes priority over other interests and daily activities."

I call this doing it right. The only disorder I see is prioritizing other interests or daily activities over gaming :)

How does it feel to get your so called "passion" shat on by some stranger on the internet far younger than you who is a middle aged man that can't even get their own priorities set straight in life ?  

It thanks to you that we gamers get bad stereotype and bad rep ... (keep proving the WHO right that gaming is a scourge) 

Cerebralbore101 said:

Why is a mere 15 hours of gaming a week a mental condition? What if I spent 15 hours a week reading novels? Is that a mental condition? What about 15 hours a week walking and playing with my dog? 

Sorry, but a normal healthy workweek is 40 hours, and after exercise, chores, etc., you should have around 45 hours of freetime a week. This assumes you workout ten hours a week, and sleep 8 hours a day. It's normal and perfectly healthy to use that 45 hours of downtime doing whatever makes you happy. I'd argue that not spending at least 30 hours a week doing things you like constitutes a real mental condition. It's called workaholicism, and it's much more prevalent than videogame addiction. 

Something is only an addiction if it seriously interferes with your life. If you leave stacks of dirty dishes, don't eat healthy, rarely exercise, and have no social life, then you have an addiction. 

You realize that extended gaming has all around delirious effects compared to those activities, right ? Having 45 hours of free time each week is on the higher end, most of those employed full time can't even find 30 hours of free time let alone 45 hours ... 

About time. I've known this was an issue for more than a decade. It was pretty obvious.

Around the Network
fatslob-:O said:

You realize that extended gaming has all around delirious effects compared to those activities, right ? Having 45 hours of free time each week is on the higher end, most of those employed full time can't even find 30 hours of free time let alone 45 hours ... 

Damn.. I'd say if you can't find 30 hours of free time each week you're wasting your life :P

The Wall Street Journal is owned by Rupert Murdoch, the same person that owns Fox News. It is not a valid source of information, anymore than Fox News is.

But at least that WSJ article linked to the U.S. Department of Labor. Let's take a look at that. https://www.bls.gov/tus/ The average person spends 5.13 hours on leisure and sports activities. That's about 36 hours per week. Keep in mind, this is the average. Being average =/= healthy. The average american is overweight. The average american almost never exercises. https://www.hhs.gov/fitness/resource-center/facts-and-statistics/index.html So being on the higher end of average is utterly meaningless. 

setsunatenshi said: 
From the OP:

"Increasing priority given to gaming, to the extent that gaming takes priority over other interests and daily activities."

I call this doing it right. The only disorder I see is prioritizing other interests or daily activities over gaming :)

How does it feel to get your so called "passion" shat on by some stranger on the internet far younger than you who is a middle aged man that can't even get their own priorities set straight in life ?  

It thanks to you that we gamers get bad stereotype and bad rep ... (keep proving the WHO right that gaming is a scourge) 

1- Feels absolutely irrelevant, I'm still not sure why you seem so focused on my so called feelings or mental state lol

2- Do you actually know me from somewhere? What assumptions exactly are you making about my life really? What specific achievements or experiences do you suppose I'm lacking? It's ok, don't bother answering. Everyone knows you're just talking out of your ass.

3- "It thanks to you that we gamers..." don't use "we", you are no gamer, you're a casual at best. 

4- You seem to derive a lot of self worth from the outside perception, hence why you assumed I would get angry (?) at some stranger's comments. Don't worry, this way of thinking usually changes when you reach 15.

KiigelHeart said:

Damn.. I'd say if you can't find 30 hours of free time each week you're wasting your life :P

Real life sucks when you have to spend so much of it on personal care and more of it to make a living ... 

Cerebralbore101 said:

The Wall Street Journal is owned by Rupert Murdoch, the same person that owns Fox News. It is not a valid source of information, anymore than Fox News is.

But at least that WSJ article linked to the U.S. Department of Labor. Let's take a look at that. https://www.bls.gov/tus/ The average person spends 5.13 hours on leisure and sports activities. That's about 36 hours per week. Keep in mind, this is the average. Being average =/= healthy. The average american is overweight. The average american almost never exercises. https://www.hhs.gov/fitness/resource-center/facts-and-statistics/index.html So being on the higher end of average is utterly meaningless. 

You really gonna knock on source at first hand when it's backed by US labour stats ? The average american also spends less than half the time on work compared to those who are employed, go figure ... 

If you looked at "Average hours per day spent in selected activities on days worked by employment status and sex", i.e. the majority of the working age population (25-64) that make a living or those who are employed which are supposed to support their own family along with paying the senior population their pension has less than 25 hours each week of free time ... 

setsunatenshi said:

1- Feels absolutely irrelevant, I'm still not sure why you seem so focused on my so called feelings or mental state lol

2- Do you actually know me from somewhere? What assumptions exactly are you making about my life really? What specific achievements or experiences do you suppose I'm lacking? It's ok, don't bother answering. Everyone knows you're just talking out of your ass.

3- "It thanks to you that we gamers..." don't use "we", you are no gamer, you're a casual at best. 

4- You seem to derive a lot of self worth from the outside perception, hence why you assumed I would get angry (?) at some stranger's comments. Don't worry, this way of thinking usually changes when you reach 15.

1 - Cause you're obviously insecure over the fact that I'm right about video game addicts such as yourself and most importantly that a higher health body is right about this "gaming disorder" that you potentially have ...  

2 - It's ok, I used to be nearly total recluse like yourself spending most of my waking moment playing games but then I realized far sooner than you have that there's more finer things in life such as real achievements to strive for or relationships so that's why you felt the need to defend your pride so much by making your first shitty response towards me LOL ... 

3 - LMAO, you actually think it's that important to have pride in being a gamer ? (that's just sad) 

4 - Humans "need" outside perception cause it's sure as shit impossible to live alone right now and you are angry ... 

User was moderated for this post

-Super_Boom

Last edited by Super_Boom - on 01 January 2018

KiigelHeart said:

Real life sucks when you have to spend so much of it on personal care and more of it to make a living ... 

Cerebralbore101 said:

You really gonna knock on source at first hand when it's backed by US labour stats ? The average american also spends less than half the time on work compared to those who are employed, go figure ... 

If you looked at "Average hours per day spent in selected activities on days worked by employment status and sex", i.e. the majority of the working age population (25-64) that make a living or those who are employed which are supposed to support their own family along with paying the senior population their pension has less than 25 hours each week of free time ... 

setsunatenshi said:

1 - Cause you're obviously insecure over the fact that I'm right about video game addicts such as yourself and most importantly that a higher health body is right about this "gaming disorder" that you potentially have ...  

2 - It's ok, I used to be nearly total recluse like yourself spending most of my waking moment playing games but then I realized far sooner than you have that there's more finer things in life such as real achievements to strive for or relationships so that's why you felt the need to defend your pride so much by making your first shitty response towards me LOL ... 

3 - LMAO, you actually think it's that important to have pride in being a gamer ? (that's just sad) 

4 - Humans "need" outside perception cause it's sure as shit impossible to live alone right now and you are angry ... 

Now I actually feel like time was wasted in any discussion with you. You're clearly only here to troll.

Take care