By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Reggie: Switch sales are “unprecedented” for Nintendo

mysteryman said:
Megiddo said:

I mean, if it's "one of" the fastest pace in Nintendo's history then I'd hardly call that unprecedented. Switch has had a fantastic first 9 months. Keep it going.

AngryLittleAlchemist said:

"He called Switch’s sales “unprecedented” before adding that its pace “is one of the fastest in our own history and in gaming history.”"

Pinkie_pie said:
How is it unprecedented when its not even the fastest selling gaming system?

VGPolyglot said:
If it's unprecedented, wouldn't that mean there is no precedent? If it's one of their best-selling that must mean that a precedent has already been established.

Miguel_Zorro said:
I don't think unprecedented means what Reggie thinks it means.

“The fact that we reached 10 million units sold on a global basis and we’re not fully through the holidays is unprecedented territory for Nintendo.”

I think some have either misinterpreted or glossed over the first sentence of the quote when he said “for Nintendo.” And it is something to note for Nintendo because it sold very well globally while the holidays are still resuming. Unlike most of the consoles in recent generations, the Switch didn’t have the luxury of releasing within the holidays for any of the main regions.

Around the Network
mysteryman said:
Megiddo said:

I mean, if it's "one of" the fastest pace in Nintendo's history then I'd hardly call that unprecedented. Switch has had a fantastic first 9 months. Keep it going.

"He called Switch’s sales “unprecedented” before adding that its pace “is one of the fastest in our own history and in gaming history.”"

Pinkie_pie said:
How is it unprecedented when its not even the fastest selling gaming system?

VGPolyglot said:
If it's unprecedented, wouldn't that mean there is no precedent? If it's one of their best-selling that must mean that a precedent has already been established.

Miguel_Zorro said:
I don't think unprecedented means what Reggie thinks it means.

“The fact that we reached 10 million units sold on a global basis and we’re not fully through the holidays is unprecedented territory for Nintendo.”

I did read that. It's just wrong. They have done that before.

Last edited by AngryLittleAlchemist - on 18 December 2017

mysteryman said:

They have had consoles do that before though. Maybe not with the very specific notion of it being the Swtch's first holiday, but that's only because some of the consoles launched during holidays.

So they’ve had consoles sell 10 million units without the full holiday season before but not without the full holiday season before but only because they launched during the holiday season before?

Megiddo said:

I mean, if it's "one of" the fastest pace in Nintendo's history then I'd hardly call that unprecedented. 

Well, yeah.  By definition, it is not unprecedented unless it is *the* fastest.  

mysteryman said:

They have had consoles do that before though. Maybe not with the very specific notion of it being the Swtch's first holiday, but that's only because some of the consoles launched during holidays.

So they’ve had consoles sell 10 million units without the full holiday season before but not without the full holiday season before but only because they launched during the holiday season before?

No matter how much you try to make that sound stupid, it's logical when you write it properly. Yes, this is not "unprecedented" when previous hardware of theirs has sold that well. Whether or not that hardware launched in a holiday season is kind of inconsequential. 

Around the Network
mysteryman said:

I think what he's basically saying is, that it's tracking ahead of the 3DS, their only system with a comparable non-holyday launch window, wich is true.

mysteryman said:

No matter how much you try to make that sound stupid, it's logical when you write it properly. Yes, this is not "unprecedented" when previous hardware of theirs has sold that well. Whether or not that hardware launched in a holiday season is kind of inconsequential

It’s actually the crux of Reggie’s statement.

I hope the Switch continues to sell well and maintain momentum.

I opted for the Xbox One X this holiday season, but the Switch is probably next if they can keep strong 3rd party support coming with original content. Bayonetta 3 gets my attention, but I will pass on any glut of remastered 3DS and SNES games. I don't want that becoming the foundation for the Switch.

mysteryman said:

No matter how much you try to make that sound stupid, it's logical when you write it properly. Yes, this is not "unprecedented" when previous hardware of theirs has sold that well. Whether or not that hardware launched in a holiday season is kind of inconsequential

It’s actually the crux of Reggie’s statement.

Sure, I'll concede to the fact that on some basis Reggie is right. I think it's too specific for celebration though. And it's kind of dumb, I mean yeah holiday launches do slightly effect the sales of the following months after launch, I've said that before , but it shouldn't effect those sales to the point that it needs to be pointed out how "unprecedented" this is for Nintendo.

The Switch is just doing extraordinarily well and that's it.