By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The Nintendo Switch is winning because it’s ‘good enough’

RolStoppable said:
Zekkyou said:

I can't say I've ever seen that version of the narrative (that's not to say it doesn't exist, but I've not run into it), but i do agree. Still, don't the 3DS, Wii, and DS all do a better job of disproving that narrative? The Switch is pretty high-end for a handheld console, or at least something with the form factor of one. We wouldn't be seeing stuff like Doom on the Switch if they'd opted for a jump similar to the DS to 3DS.

I do disagree with your last sentence though (at least when read literally). Specs do sell systems, they're just not the only thing that can. Specs, library, marketing, concept, price, portability, hardware flexibility, etc, can all be important. You can't rely on just one, and no one can pull them all off, but they're all capable of creating success.

Have you visited these forums at all in the last few years? That narrative was omnipresent and the main reason why the majority of the VGC community doomed the Switch.

IRL stuff has made my visits rather sporadic the last 12 - 18 months, but no, I've really not run into it. I've seen people claim that a lack of power will stop the Switch gaining full (relative to the PS4/X1) support, and I've seen people claim the Switch itself is doomed for a variety of reasons, but I've never seen someone claim the Switch has to be at least equally powerful to get support in general.

As i said though, that doesn't mean it hasn't happened. I've just not personally run into it, at least as far as i can remember.

Around the Network

The portability really comes in handy when my lady says she needs to see a show on tv. I just say fine I’ll go play over there 😜.

Zekkyou said:
RolStoppable said:

Have you visited these forums at all in the last few years? That narrative was omnipresent and the main reason why the majority of the VGC community doomed the Switch.

IRL stuff has made my visits rather sporadic the last 12 - 18 months, but no, I've really not run into it. I've seen people claim that a lack of power will stop the Switch gaining full (relative to the PS4/X1) support, and I've seen people claim the Switch itself is doomed for a variety of reasons, but I've never seen someone claim the Switch has to be at least equally powerful to get support in general.

As i said though, that doesn't mean it hasn't happened. I've just not personally run into it, at least as far as i can remember.

I remember suggesting that NX could be a similar jump in power over Wii U that Wii was over GC and a ton of people told me Nintendo was doomed to fail unless it was more powerful than PS4.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

zorg1000 said:
Zekkyou said:

I remember suggesting that NX could be a similar jump in power over Wii U that Wii was over GC and a ton of people told me Nintendo was doomed to fail unless it was more powerful than PS4.

Yeah, as i said I've seen a variety of reasons the Switch itself was doomed, I've just not seen that argument applied to general game support. Would be an especially silly argument since even the Vita, which was neither successful or powerful by 2015~, was still getting decent support.

If you have any examples at hand feel free to throw them my way. Some no doubt exist, I've just not run into them. 

Last edited by Zekkyou - on 22 November 2017

Finale said:
The nintendo switch is winning because it's the most powerful portable ever made and has no competition.It also has,obviously,nintendo games(and also,some mid-tier games that not do so well in other consoles).

It's not the most powerful portable ever made.
It's using off-the-shelf readily available components... Thus by extension there are already devices that match and exceed it.

It is however the most powerful dedicated gaming portable currently.

It also has a ton of competition from the likes of the Xbox One, Playstation 4, Vita, 3DS, PC, Android, iOS and so on.

Nintendo are winning because they released the right product at the right time with the right games and that is resonating with gamers... And Nintendo deserves praise for that.

HoloDust said:
I guess I'm polar opposite - I don' care for portability at all, I do care however for Zelda, MK and few other titles - so, I'd rather have home console, with WiiU alike gamepad as optional accessory for those who really want to play it in the bed (or when taking a dump).

Agreed. I have no need for massive amounts of portability, not when I have my flagship mobile phone that is conveniently with me always.

TheMisterManGuy said:
The Switch should be the final proof that consumers don't care about specs or tera-flops, or hardware power. They just want something that looks good and does it's job correctly. So can we finally put to rest this tired shit about how Nintendo needs a PS4 clone to get dat third party support, because the Switch is shutting that narrative down effortlessly

You are making a false assertion that all consumers are the same.

The Playstation 4 Pro, Xbox One X and the venerable PC is evidence that a large demographic do care about hardware power.

The Switch is also not getting the same level of 3rd party as the other platforms right now.
A few sprinkling of games like Doom and Skyrim is great... But for every 3rd party release you are missing out on several others like Call of Duty WW2, Assassins Creed and so on.

I always stated back before NX rumors were floating around that if Nintendo opts for hardware that is significantly weaker than the competition... Then it's 3rd party support will entirely hinge on how well the hardware sells, thankfully sales are doing well which has made the financial investment viable for developers. - But you still won't get all Multiplats... And no. That is not a good thing.

Miguel_Zorro said:

Switch sales are absolutely not going to fall off a cliff next year.  It will sell more in 2018 than it did in 2017.

This. Especially considering Nintendo seems to keep selling every unit it makes.
If their manufacturing picks up, then I only see sales increase. And props to Nintendo, they deserve and needed the success, competition is a good thing.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Around the Network
Miguel_Zorro said:
quickrick said:
This is very stupid article, where comparing a console that already sold near 70 million by now, that was the most powerful when released. to to switch a device that wasn't even possible 2 years ago, that we don't if it will be successful, or how successful it will be. sure it has a strong start but its very possible sales could fall of a cliff next year.

Switch sales are absolutely not going to fall off a cliff next year.  It will sell more in 2018 than it did in 2017.

in japan sure, but i bet in europe and US, it won't.

TheMisterManGuy said:
The Switch should be the final proof that consumers don't care about specs or tera-flops, or hardware power. They just want something that looks good and does it's job correctly. So can we finally put to rest this tired shit about how Nintendo needs a PS4 clone to get dat third party support, because the Switch is shutting that narrative down effortlessly

Why switch? DS sold gang busters, and 3ds did great numbers as well. all they did was make a 3ds successor, and made a powerful with some cool features because 3ds was a big decline for them. 

quickrick said:
Miguel_Zorro said:

How often have the sales of Nintendo hardware fallen off a cliff in their 2nd year?

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

zorg1000 said:
quickrick said:

How often have the sales of Nintendo hardware fallen off a cliff in their 2nd year?

i said for all we know, i think it's possible. i'm pretty sure 2018 it won't sell as much as 2017 in US, and europe. 3ds peaked it's first year.

quickrick said:
zorg1000 said:

i said for all we know, i think it's possible. i'm pretty sure 2018 it won't sell as much as 2017 in US, and europe. 3ds peaked it's first year.

There is a massive difference between peak and fall off a cliff.

3DS sales dropped from 13.95 to 13.51, which is like a 3% drop, hardly falling off a cliff.