By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The Nintendo Switch is winning because it’s ‘good enough’

"Good enough" with a reasonable price are two of the most important qualities for a successful console to have. That's pretty much been the approach of the Playstation line, with the OG PS3 being their only real attempt to push the boundaries with what they were offering before learning their lesson and reverting to their old tactics.

Offer a gaming experience with some sort of added selling point (DVD/BluRay player for Sony, Portability for the Switch) while keeping it at a reasonable price and without overburdening it with features people aren't interested in and you're well on your way to a success.

Around the Network
Zekkyou said:

The Switch is about as power conscious a handheld as the PS4 and X1 are home consoles. Spec wise it's effectively a Nintendo PSP/Vita, but it leverages that power in a different (and arguably better) way. 'Good enough' as a home console is quite context dependent, and it's the added portability that defines that standard for the Switch. If it was a $300 home console with the same specs, i don't think it'd be unreasonable to say it'd be doing considerably worse. Even at $200 i'd expect it to do worse.

Of course, the Switch's success makes support inevitable. I just took issue with you claiming it was shutting down a narrative that (right or wrong) is distinct from the one the Switch is painting. 

Of course, if the Switch was a stationary home console with the same specs and price, then it would be unacceptable because there's nothing to justify that price. But the portable nature of the Switch means the $300 is justified. What I mean is that the narrative that Nintendo somehow needs the most powerful, or an equally powerful console to gain support and success doesn't really hold much weight. I don't think developers need to be working on the most advanced tech to support a console. As long as it's successful, and easy to develop for, they will support it. The Switch proves that software and concept, not specs, sell systems. 

Exactly, it's just like the original Gameboy. It didn't have color, it didn't even have light, but for a portable it was good enough to get the job done. Nintendo understands what matters to people.

I mean, that's a true statement. Not much more to say. People think success = perfection, which isn't true. It takes genius to make something imperfect in the perfect way.

I've been into gaming before the vast majority of forum users were even alive and studied the industry inside and out so I have a pretty good feel for when something is going to become a mainstream success. Switch had that feel early on and it's why I got mine at launch. It had the right marketing, right approach etc. I just had a really good feeling about it's selling power which I haven't had since the days of Wii. Fortunately, Switch is not only selling well, it's a core gaming system so it's a win-win for people like us. I hope it goes on to win the 9th generation as I feel a powerful Nintendo is good for everyone.

Miguel_Zorro said:

People buy Nintendo consoles for Nintendo games. When we look back on the top 10 best selling Switch games, none of them will be Rocket League, Skyrim, or Doom.

They'll all be published by Nintendo or have Mario in them somehow.

I'd wager money on Minecraft being in there. 

Last edited by AlfredoTurkey - on 22 November 2017

Around the Network
Paperboy_J said:
Exactly, it's just like the original Gameboy. It didn't have color, it didn't even have light, but for a portable it was good enough to get the job done. Nintendo understands what matters to people.

The Game Boy succeeded due to battery life, Tetris, and price. Technically all three of those were due to the crap hardware but it's not like Nintendo was doing it on purpose (unless that was what your point was lol).

This is very stupid article, where comparing a console that already sold near 70 million by now, that was the most powerful when released. to to switch a device that wasn't even possible 2 years ago, that we don't if it will be successful, or how successful it will be. sure it has a strong start but its very possible sales could fall of a cliff next year.

TheMisterManGuy said:
Zekkyou said:

The Switch is about as power conscious a handheld as the PS4 and X1 are home consoles. Spec wise it's effectively a Nintendo PSP/Vita, but it leverages that power in a different (and arguably better) way. 'Good enough' as a home console is quite context dependent, and it's the added portability that defines that standard for the Switch. If it was a $300 home console with the same specs, i don't think it'd be unreasonable to say it'd be doing considerably worse. Even at $200 i'd expect it to do worse.

Of course, the Switch's success makes support inevitable. I just took issue with you claiming it was shutting down a narrative that (right or wrong) is distinct from the one the Switch is painting. 

Of course, if the Switch was a stationary home console with the same specs and price, then it would be unacceptable because there's nothing to justify that price. But the portable nature of the Switch means the $300 is justified. What I mean is that the narrative that Nintendo somehow needs the most powerful, or an equally powerful console to gain support and success doesn't really hold much weight. I don't think developers need to be working on the most advanced tech to support a console. As long as it's successful, and easy to develop for, they will support it. The Switch proves that software and concept, not specs, sell systems. 

I can't say I've ever seen that version of the narrative (that's not to say it doesn't exist, but I've not run into it), but i do agree. Still, don't the 3DS, Wii, and DS all do a better job of disproving that narrative? The Switch is pretty high-end for a handheld console, or at least something with the form factor of one. We wouldn't be seeing stuff like Doom on the Switch if they'd opted for a jump similar to the DS to 3DS.

I do disagree with your last sentence though (at least when read literally). Specs do sell systems, they're just not the only thing that can. Specs, library, marketing, concept, price, portability, hardware flexibility, etc, can all be important. You can't rely on just one, and no one can pull them all off, but they're all capable of creating success.

I hope to see the switch as an ecosystem where 3rd party devs can thrive off of mid tier games that don't require huge budgets. Like what the 3DS was for japan but on a global scale. That combined with Nintendo exclusives and the Switch can return Nintendo to the throne seat if you ask me.

Games are fun.

quickrick said:
This is very stupid article, where comparing a console that already sold near 70 million by now, that was the most powerful when released. to to switch a device that wasn't even possible 2 years ago, that we don't if it will be successful, or how successful it will be. sure it has a strong start but its very possible sales could fall of a cliff next year.

What is this, the 15th time you mentioned sales falling off a cliff next year?

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.