By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - MS Marketing Defends Use of Controversial Terms: «Sony Did It» (But they didn’t)

Thoughts?

I don’t see the problem 18 39.13%

I think this is «spin or damage control» 28 60.87%

Other 0 0%

Total:46
DirtyP2002 said:
Pemalite said:

This is the official Playstation blog. I know you said "no blogs". - But just like Major Nelson for Xbox, this is regarded as an official outlet for the brand.
https://blog.us.playstation.com/2016/11/03/39-games-enhanced-for-ps4-pro-launch/

Even the Playstation 4 website references the blog.
Then Media outlets like Kotaku and Polygon used that as cited sources for their articles.

https://www.polygon.com/2016/11/3/13507386/ps4-pro-launch-games-list
https://www.kotaku.com.au/2016/11/the-full-list-of-ps4-pro-supported-games-at-launch/

Thanks for pointing out that Sony actually did the same. Didn't stop the hate against MS though.

He didn't, though, because that blog post never called the games themselves launch titles.  It only references the PS4 Pro launch itself.  In fact, it seems like they were careful to not call them launch titles.

Is this a big deal?  No, it's not, but I have no problem at all with consumers telling corporations to stop with using shady advertising and nebulous marketing terms.  It's healthy for them to be called out for it.  They do things like this with the intent to confuse and mislead so they can eat a little backlash for their efforts.

Around the Network
DirtyP2002 said:
Pemalite said:

This is the official Playstation blog. I know you said "no blogs". - But just like Major Nelson for Xbox, this is regarded as an official outlet for the brand.
https://blog.us.playstation.com/2016/11/03/39-games-enhanced-for-ps4-pro-launch/

Even the Playstation 4 website references the blog.
Then Media outlets like Kotaku and Polygon used that as cited sources for their articles.

https://www.polygon.com/2016/11/3/13507386/ps4-pro-launch-games-list
https://www.kotaku.com.au/2016/11/the-full-list-of-ps4-pro-supported-games-at-launch/

Thanks for pointing out that Sony actually did the same. Didn't stop the hate against MS though.

that's not even close to being the same... did you actually read the blog? o.0

setsunatenshi said:
DirtyP2002 said:

that's not even close to being the same... did you actually read the blog? o.0

He doesn’t even need to read the blog, just the url makes it clear that what Sony said and what MS said are two different things.

lol, it’s apparent 99% of the people responding didn’t bother looking at the source for this latest “shit on MS” overreaction.

GribbleGrunger said:

“Most Launch Titles Ever for a Console”

Is suggesting new titles ... Launch titles. How many times have I said MS are trying to give the impression this is a new generation? So obvious.

"40+ Games Enhanced for PS4 Pro Launch"

Is being truthful. For a game to be 'enhanced', it has to already exist. 

If you can't see the difference, Albert will be proud of you.

Like here. I mean, in the GB podcast interview that started all of this, he literally says multiple times that this is not new games, and this is not a new generation. What he said can not be any different than what you’re assuming was said. You can say the PR is silly all you want, but you and others claiming dishonesty, or misleading, etc, are reacting emotionally instead of logically :)

LudicrousSpeed said:

lol, it’s apparent 99% of the people responding didn’t bother looking at the source for this latest “shit on MS” overreaction.

Like here. I mean, in the GB podcast interview that started all of this, he literally says multiple times that this is not new games, and this is not a new generation. What he said can not be any different than what you’re assuming was said. You can say the PR is silly all you want, but you and others claiming dishonesty, or misleading, etc, are reacting emotionally instead of logically :)

That would be you--

LudicrousSpeed said:

His message was clear as day--that the X1X was "going to have more “launch titles” than any other console."  The entire purpose of his PR work was to compare the X1X "launch titles" list to the "launch titles" list of all other consoles.  He did that directly.  You can't spin that away.  

I don't even understand why he would do it.  He could have simply talked about the most obvious and relevant comparison, the PS4 Pro.

Last edited by pokoko - on 12 November 2017

Around the Network
LudicrousSpeed said:

GribbleGrunger said:

Is suggesting new titles ... Launch titles. How many times have I said MS are trying to give the impression this is a new generation? So obvious.

It's like those people WANT to freak out.
No point in arguing with them.

Imagine not having GamePass on your console...

LudicrousSpeed said:

GribbleGrunger said:

we are talking specifically about his quote:

"Sony themselves talked about 40 launch titles. So if I say 50 launch titles, why am I spinning?"

And that's what people are objecting here. Also the fact that Sony didn't call them launch titles like he implied.

It just looks bad on all fronts

DirtyP2002 said:
LudicrousSpeed said:

It's like those people WANT to freak out.
No point in arguing with them.

Yep lol.

setsunatenshi said:
LudicrousSpeed said:

we are talking specifically about his quote:

"Sony themselves talked about 40 launch titles. So if I say 50 launch titles, why am I spinning?"

And that's what people are objecting here. Also the fact that Sony didn't call them launch titles like he implied.

It just looks bad on all fronts

If you looked at Sony actual statement on the PS Blog, they said along the lines of "enhanced games at the PS4 Pro's launch" which has a significantly different meaning from "launch titles".

NOT surprised, remember how they said they were the best selling console and ignoring the last two months of the year.