Forums - Website Topics - The VGChartz Website Development Thread - Post Suggestions/Feedback.

trunkswd said:
From Talon on Discord about forum issues

"Oh - that's because I'm "prettyfying" the forum urls - gotta be patient - there's a LOT of work to do"

Sounds like something that we don't need, just like the inability to subscribe to our own threads.

Thumbs down from me in advance, but I am willing to change my mind if there's an actual point to "prettyfying".

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

A Biased Review Reloaded / Open Your Eyes / Switch Gamers Club

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
trunkswd said:

"Oh - that's because I'm "prettyfying" the forum urls - gotta be patient - there's a LOT of work to do"

Sounds like something that we don't need, just like the inability to subscribe to our own threads.

Thumbs down from me in advance, but I am willing to change my mind if there's an actual point to "prettyfying".

Better URLs help the sites SEO. Aka helps it appear higher up in Google searches. That is the reasoning for doing it. A lot of the recent work is to improve the SEO of the site. Like making it load faster by decreasing the size of the pages and fixing up the code. 

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YoutubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Gap Charts | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

RolStoppable said:
trunkswd said:

That's because you don't have any understanding of how Google and SEO works... ...but that's ok - your "opinion" is noted.

TalonMan said:
RolStoppable said:

That's because you don't have any understanding of how Google and SEO works... ...but that's ok - your "opinion" is noted.

More like, it's because an ambiguous pseudo-word like "prettyfying" doesn't convey any real purpose. Should have said that work is being done on the URLs in order to take advantage of Google's search algorithms.

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

You don't help yourself do you Rol...🙄

Just don't rudely comment on something you don't understand and have a little patience until it's done, then Talon can go into more detail or Trunks, who did exactly that but you could have asked without the rudeness.

Here, it's simple: "Oh okay, what exactly does prettyfying the forums URL do?"

We don't need the snark.

Last edited by Ryuu96 - on 30 March 2020

Around the Network
TalonMan said:
RolStoppable said:

I use that term too. Anyway, have you thought about base hrefs? Btw also wondering if static urls would cause trouble for the search engine/database.

RolStoppable said:
TalonMan said:

More like, it's because an ambiguous pseudo-word like "prettyfying" doesn't convey any real purpose. Should have said that work is being done on the URLs in order to take advantage of Google's search algorithms.

More like, you seem to like to post before doing the very basic Google search for self-enlightenment. Here, let me help you...

https://lmgtfy.com/?q=%22prettifying%22+url+meaning

TalonMan said:
RolStoppable said:

More like, you seem to like to post before doing the very basic Google search for self-enlightenment. Here, let me help you...

Let's all drop this, shall we?For me it seems a case of miscommunication on both sides.No one meant ill will.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

Nautilus said:
TalonMan said:

Let's all drop this, shall we?For me it seems a case of miscommunication on both sides.No one meant ill will.

I would agree if there wasn't a history of this crap from Rol (did you miss the snarky "Sounds like something that we don't need, just like the inability to subscribe to our own threads." comment?). 

Whatever - moving on...

Ryuu96 said:

You don't help yourself do you Rol...🙄

Just don't rudely comment on something you don't understand and have a little patience until it's done, then Talon can go into more detail or Trunks, who did exactly that but you could have asked without the rudeness.

Here, it's simple: "Oh okay, what exactly does prettyfying the forums URL do?"

We don't need the snark.

It was a short exchange, so it's easy to review. I reported a problem in the appropriate thread, got a bad answer and disapproved because trunks had relayed a direct quote from Talon that concerned a visual improvement (because that's the meaning I infer from "prettyfying" and yes, that's indeed what it means) at the expense of today's usability of the forums. At the same time I said that I am willing to change my mind if there's an actual point to this temporary problem, opening the door for the staff to make it easy to say, "Yes, there is an actual point and here is what it is."

Then I get an actual explanation from trunks, followed by an attack by Talon who tells me that I don't understand something when he himself had given an insufficient explanation, namely that he was working on optics when he was actually working on functionality. I get the blame for his error and you double down on it. If you want it simple, you (the staff) respond right away with the actual cause for the 404 errors instead of giving the impression that you are breaking the site for the purpose of "eyecandy." Then subsequently my response concerning uselessness doesn't happen in the first place because more visibility in Google searches is something of value. And my third post doesn't happen either, because I wouldn't have needed to tell Talon, "Don't blame me, it's on you for communicating what you are doing in an insufficient manner."

Regarding this alleged rudeness concerning the inability to subscribe to your own threads, yes, said inability is a problem. The subscription function was very useful to bookmark threads right in the Buddy, because that made it convenient to update ongoing threads. At some point the ability to subscribe to one's own threads was taken away to prevent points farming or something, so now it's either several clicks to one's posting history to get to the thread or using a browser bookmark despite this site having a subscription feature for threads. This right here is the thread to post feedback, so I might as well elaborate on why this inability bothers me, because earlier this year I made a thread that I wanted to add for convenience and then I found out that that isn't possible anymore.

In any case, if staff wants to have an easier time, then look at @trunkswd as role model. He has kept his cool in much more tense situations, such as strong accusations of bias in VGC's numbers or the numbers being made up altogether, i.e. fierce direct attacks on the job that he is doing on this site. But if the first thing you do is escalate something, then yeah, of course your job is going to be less pleasant. In this specific case here, staff had the perfect opening to resolve it peacefully because I said that I am willing to change my mind. trunks took advantage of it, Talon didn't, you didn't. And yes, with this paragraph I am exploiting this situation because as a regular user I can afford to be a little rude every now and then, because I am not held to the same standards as a staff member. Luckily you guys never made me a mod.

Added a smiley to the previous paragraph to get it better across that it was tongue in cheek after the third sentence.