By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - The VGChartz Website Development Thread - Post Suggestions/Feedback.

SpokenTruth said:
Bandorr said:
I'm constantly getting "The connection has timed out" and "problem loading page."

I'm checking my notifications, visiting a thread, leaving a thread, posting at a thread etc. Some times I just have to refresh/try again one. Some times it is two, three or even four times.

Feels like it happened when we switched to https.

This is definitely a thing I've started to notice too but I see it way more at home than at work.  So I initially chalked it up to something on my end.

Pings, trace routes and MTRs go through just fine so I'm guessing it's a DNS related problem.

Just tried clearing cache and all that. See if that helps at all.

• Deadliest mass shooting by an individual in US history (10/01/2017)
  • Deadliest high school shooting in US history (02/14/2018)
  • Deadliest massacre of Jews in US history (10/27/2018)
  • Political assassination attempt of TWO former presidents(and 10+ other people)  (10/23/2018 - and beyond)
Around the Network

I still have the concern of constantly having a timed out connection.
But my point this time is about voting in the polls.
I'm not voting -yet it is registering a vote for me.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=242047&page=1#
I didn't vote for the first option. I'd have probably gone for "I am wet" or not voted at all.

Infact that poll changed. Every option has changed. You can see my posts in that thread.
https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9122026

The "Cerny in a bath tub" option is gone. If all poll options changed - shouldn't the poll have "reset" my vote?

Twice I didn't vote and my choice was locked in for the first one.

• Political assassination attempt of TWO former presidents(and 10+ other people)  (10/23/2018 - and beyond)

Another issue. Perhaps related to the "timing out" issue.
I click the thumb up. This one for example https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9124712
The thumb "disappears", and the X people agree does not increase.

So I refresh (and it times out). And I try again and it works.

So I think the "thumbs up" part is some how connected to the timing out aspect.

Would it be possible to show how many visualizations a thread received?It is a silly thing but I think putting that into the threads might incentivize people into making more, because that way they know just how many people they are reaching.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

Bandorr said:
I'm constantly getting "The connection has timed out" and "problem loading page."

I'm checking my notifications, visiting a thread, leaving a thread, posting at a thread etc. Some times I just have to refresh/try again one. Some times it is two, three or even four times.

SpokenTruth said:
Bandorr said:

This is definitely a thing I've started to notice too but I see it way more at home than at work.  So I initially chalked it up to something on my end.

Pings, trace routes and MTRs go through just fine so I'm guessing it's a DNS related problem.

For me this has been a problem for like 1,5 years now.

As far as I know it happens when VGC detects too many connections in to little time and then drops the connection as a DoS proectection.
So switching fast between pages, opening multiple tabs of VGC causes that.

Around the Network
Marth said:
Bandorr said:

SpokenTruth said:

As far as I know it happens when VGC detects too many connections in to little time and then drops the connection as a DoS proectection.

That's an interesting thought. I feel like it involves the connection from vgchartz to gamrconnect.

I feel like I can refresh vgchartz infinitely.. but clicking notifications or threads cause problems. So maybe it is gamrconnect protection?

I'll use a timer and see if I get an idea.

Bandorr said:
Marth said:

That's an interesting thought. I feel like it involves the connection from vgchartz to gamrconnect.

I feel like I can refresh vgchartz infinitely.. but clicking notifications or threads cause problems. So maybe it is gamrconnect protection?

The site could a lot of optimization and modernization. I know Talon has done a lot of that behind the scenes, but still has a lot to do. 

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YoutubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Gap Charts | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

trunkswd said:
Bandorr said:

The site could a lot of optimization and modernization. I know Talon has done a lot of that behind the scenes, but still has a lot to do. 

It's fine. Just curious if it was a setting I may have had wrong or if it was the site.

I left the page up.  Refreshed the front page. Clicked this thread. Clicked quote. And it "crashed". I had to refresh about 6 times to get it up.

But if it is nothing I'm doing wrong, or not a setting on my end then I can just ignore it.

Bandorr said:
trunkswd said:

It's fine. Just curious if it was a setting I may have had wrong or if it was the site.

I left the page up.  Refreshed the front page. Clicked this thread. Clicked quote. And it "crashed". I had to refresh about 6 times to get it up.

But if it is nothing I'm doing wrong, or not a setting on my end then I can just ignore it.

It shouldn't be anything on your end. I wouldn't be surprised if the switch to HTTPS broke some things. 

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YoutubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Gap Charts | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

SpokenTruth said:
Bandorr said:

My first though is you are tripping the DOS protection if you have too many tabs active at once to the site or increased the concurrent connection count on your browser.  That could lock you out for a little while...  What browser(s) are giving the difficulty?

Here are some of the IPs throttled by the firewall the last week:

1116 194.109.11.146
1339 101.176.153.176
1423 31.18.255.50
1755 88.11.79.188
1860 86.3.245.28
1897 99.253.84.27
2845 37.228.234.253
3755 93.245.98.115
4164 89.182.23.124
5471 183.132.252.94
5611 89.182.57.153