By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - The VGChartz Website Development Thread - Post Suggestions/Feedback.

trunkswd said:

@TalonMan has added a Ribbon of the article type to the "Latest Stories" section on the front page. It was something that was previously used years ago. 

Below is what it looks like:

Very Nice.  Can we get a similar scroll wrap on the highlighted articles?

Massimus - "Trump already has democrat support."

Around the Network
SpokenTruth said:
trunkswd said:

@TalonMan has added a Ribbon of the article type to the "Latest Stories" section on the front page. It was something that was previously used years ago. 

Below is what it looks like:

Reviews are now labeled as such, so featured articles no longer just list the game title. It has Review in front of it. 

As for adding the ribbon to the featured articles at the top of the page. Talon tried it and it didn't look good. It was too busy since the article titles are over the images. 

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YoutubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Gap Charts | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

trunkswd said:
SpokenTruth said:

Reviews are now labeled as such, so featured articles no longer just list the game title. It has Review in front of it. 

As for adding the ribbon to the featured articles at the top of the page. Talon tried it and it didn't look good. It was too busy since the article titles are over the images. 

Yeah - we'll figure something else out, for those "Top 5" artciles (maybe something pops out if you hover over them or something). For now, this is a subtle touch to an area that really needed help drawing some attention and I think this helps...

TalonMan said:
trunkswd said:

Yeah - we'll figure something else out, for those "Top 5" artciles (maybe something pops out if you hover over them or something). For now, this is a subtle touch to an area that really needed help drawing some attention and I think this helps...

Agreed. Though, most sections need work to help draw the eye to them. This is a great first step. 

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YoutubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Gap Charts | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Love the ribbons of the article type! I understand why you used orange/white colors for all categories, but different colors for different types would be even more helpful. Or at least inverted colours for news (white background, orange text). ^^

Around the Network
siebensus4 said:
Love the ribbons of the article type! I understand why you used orange/white colors for all categories, but different colors for different types would be even more helpful. Or at least inverted colours for news (white background, orange text). ^^

Ribbons were something the site used a while ago. I'm not sure we could easily change the colors or not. I also don't think inverted colors would look that great. But I guess you never know. 

I understand. This has also something to do with corporate identity. It was just an idea to improve this great feature.

I think the reason in using ribbons is that you can faster see, which type of article you have. With different colors you could see the difference between many articles in one view without reading the text of the ribbon. If you would add black as third color, you would get 6 variations:

black background/white text
black background/orange text
white background/black text
white background/orange text
orange background/black text
orange background/white text

How many article types do we have? News, reviews, sales?

siebensus4 said:
I understand. This has also something to do with corporate identity. It was just an idea to improve this great feature.

I think the reason in using ribbons is that you can faster see, which type of article you have. With different colors you could see the difference between many articles in one view without reading the text of the ribbon. If you would add black as third color, you would get 6 variations:

black background/white text
black background/orange text
white background/black text
white background/orange text
orange background/black text
orange background/white text

How many article types do we have? News, reviews, sales?

I'm on the fence about it, but have passed the idea along to the rest of the team to see what they think. After all this site is driven by the community and the feedback. 

We have news, sales, reviews, previews, and articles as the different article types. 

Spoiler!
Test

Test