By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - Functionality Update!

Nice, look forward to other updates

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

Around the Network
TalonMan said:
AZWification said:

I have been asking for the PL to come back since forever, so this makes me very happy!

Do you have any recollections as to how it worked, back in the day???

I remember it being a fairly automated process, and it was tied to the sales updates as they came in. I would VERY much like to resurrect this functionality, but for the life of me I cannot remember the steps that were involved. I do remember there being an actual admin (and we still have the flag available in the database) who was responsible for managing the league (was it Nordlead back then????) - but that's about all I can remember.

Whatever form it returns in, it doesn't necessarily have to be exactly as it was back then (God only knows if it's even technically POSSIBLE to build it the same way it was) - but any information, suggestions, or other input as to how it should work, would be sincerely appreciated...

Yeah it was Nordlead.

I don't think it was a very elegantly built, so I'm sure whatever you come up with now will be much better! Like you say, it was tied to the charts and people would enter their predictions for the HW and SW that would be posted for the upcoming week(s).

So to use US as an example, Nordlead would create an entry form for week xx in the US. The form would have blank spaces for you to input your predictions for that week's major HW (so nowadays it'd be NS, PS4, Xone, 3DS), and for any major new releases (e.g. CoD WWII (PS4), CoD WWII (XOne), Super Mario Odyssey (NS), or whatever the new releases were set to be), and with each prediction you input you'd 'wager' a customisable amount of profile points on the outcome.

Then a week or so after the chart had been posted (to give some time for any early adjustments to be made), he would obviously click a button that ran a tool that calculated how many points people earned (or lost) from each of their predictions, the totals then being displayed on a leaderboard. Exactly how this was calculated I'm not sure - but it was one that meant that if you were further off than most people you'd lose points, and if you were closer to the actual figures with your prediction you'd gain them. The closer/further away you were the more points you'd win/lose.

Machina said:
TalonMan said:

Do you have any recollections as to how it worked, back in the day???

I remember it being a fairly automated process, and it was tied to the sales updates as they came in. I would VERY much like to resurrect this functionality, but for the life of me I cannot remember the steps that were involved. I do remember there being an actual admin (and we still have the flag available in the database) who was responsible for managing the league (was it Nordlead back then????) - but that's about all I can remember.

Whatever form it returns in, it doesn't necessarily have to be exactly as it was back then (God only knows if it's even technically POSSIBLE to build it the same way it was) - but any information, suggestions, or other input as to how it should work, would be sincerely appreciated...

Yeah it was Nordlead.

I don't think it was a very elegantly built, so I'm sure whatever you come up with now will be much better! Like you say, it was tied to the charts and people would enter their predictions for the HW and SW that would be posted for the upcoming week(s).

So to use US as an example, Nordlead would create an entry form for week xx in the US. The form would have blank spaces for you to input your predictions for that week's major HW (so nowadays it'd be NS, PS4, Xone, 3DS), and for any major new releases (e.g. CoD WWII (PS4), CoD WWII (XOne), Super Mario Odyssey (NS), or whatever the new releases were set to be), and with each prediction you input you'd 'wager' a customisable amount of profile points on the outcome.

Then a week or so after the chart had been posted (to give some time for any early adjustments to be made), he would obviously click a button that ran a tool that calculated how many points people earned (or lost) from each of their predictions, the totals then being displayed on a leaderboard. Exactly how this was calculated I'm not sure - but it was one that meant that if you were further off than most people you'd lose points, and if you were closer to the actual figures with your prediction you'd gain them. The closer/further away you were the more points you'd win/lose.

Wow -EXCELLENT memory!!!!

I'll do some digging around the code, too. Chances are, even though it's not currently being used, the old Prediction League code is hanging around somewhere...  :)

Nordlead. Now that's a name I haven't heard in ages!

RolStoppable said:
1) I want to keep my moderations, so don't you dare touch them.

2) Combine Gaming, PC, Sony and Microsoft into Nintendo Discussion. This website is all about Nintendo now.

Hahahahaha! Then again, this is Rol we are talking about...

Made a bet with LipeJJ and HylianYoshi that the XB1 will reach 30 million before Wii U reaches 15 million. Loser has to get avatar picked by winner for 6 months (or if I lose, either 6 months avatar control for both Lipe and Hylian, or my patrick avatar comes back forever).

Around the Network
Miguel_Zorro said:
vivster said:
I would prefer to keep the gaming sub forums. It removes the need to specify the platform you're talking about in the thread title.

We're keeping the big ones (Sony, Microsoft, Nintendo, PC).  The ones we want to remove are barely used.

Just saying. I saw another mod in this thread requesting them to be removed.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

vivster said:
Miguel_Zorro said:

We're keeping the big ones (Sony, Microsoft, Nintendo, PC).  The ones we want to remove are barely used.

Rol doesn't count

Ka-pi96 said:
vivster said:

Rol doesn't count

That's just your heresy talking.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Not sure what was the reason in the past to separate the sales forums from the gaming forums. Have you thought about joining Latest Charts and Sales Discussion into Charts and Sales Discussion, and moving that to the top of the Gaming Forum section in the Forum Index? Or maybe move the Sales Forum above the Gaming one?

@Twitter | Switch | Steam

You say tomato, I say tomato 

"¡Viva la Ñ!"