Forums - Gaming Discussion - PUBG is an “XBO console exclusive”

Hiku said:
Snoopy said:
I said this a while back. Microsoft is probably going to buy this IP out like they did with Gears of War and Minecraft. They are obviously looking to get more GAAS games.

Read my posts.
Microsoft have since E3 begun to use the term "console exclusive" to describe "timed exclusive" games.

If they have plans to buy PUBG, then them calling it console exclusive is not an indication of that.

All their games are console exclusives. They are releasing their games on Steam, Windows, and Xbox.

Around the Network
LudicrousSpeed said:
Hiku said:

But now they're saying "Console Exclusive". Which means they're using two different terms for the same game.

You don't see the problem in using different terms to mean the same thing, and for the same game? There's nothing "pretty simple" about that.

Not to mention changing the meaning of terms. At E3 they also used the term "Console Exclusive" to describe games that were "timed exclusive".
No one asked Microsoft to redefine what "Console Exclusive" means. It seems people forgot about that E3 presentation, and now they're confused.

And no, this is in no way equivalent to Sony saying "console exclusive debut" because they included the term "debut".
Microsoft are omitting that term.

Actually even at E3 they were using both terms. They first revealed the game as a console launch exclusive and after the trailer just had text on the stage saying Xbox One Exclusive or something. For the foreseeable future it's an Xbone console exclusive. We all know it's coming to other consoles, it was right there when MS first revealed the game. 

Gonna file this under "not an issue".

It's an issue. First of all they're only calling it a console exclusive on their webpage. Not everyone watched their E3 conference.
And they should stop using two different terms to mean the same thing. Especially because the other terms have been made to distinguish the difference between a regular console exclusive, and a timed one.

It's very disingenous, and it creates unnecesary topics like this.

Last edited by Hiku - on 01 November 2017

It certainly is unnecessary, we can agree on that :)

Snoopy said:
Hiku said:

Read my posts.
Microsoft have since E3 begun to use the term "console exclusive" to describe "timed exclusive" games.

If they have plans to buy PUBG, then them calling it console exclusive is not an indication of that.

All their games are console exclusives. They are releasing their games on Steam, Windows, and Xbox.

I'm not talking about their games. They presented 22 games at E3 as "console exclusive", when every one of them (or at least the vast majority) turned out to be "timed exclusives" that would be released on PS4 later. This caused confusion among both press attending E3, and the audience.

If they purchased the full console rights to PUBG, then that's fine. But there doesn't appear to be an indication of that yet.

Hiku said:
Snoopy said:

I'm not talking about their games. They presented 22 games at E3 as "console exclusive", when every one of them (or at least the vast majority) turned out to be "timed exclusives" that would be released on PS4 later. This caused confusion among both press attending E3, and the audience.

If they purchased the full console rights to PUBG, then that's fine. But there doesn't appear to be an indication of that yet.

Microsoft was in the talks extending their partnership.

Around the Network
DroidKnight said:
After the E3 conference Microsoft reentered into discussions about the exclusiveness of PUBG and what came out of those negotiations was never disclosed.

Exactly, which is why my main question for the thread was whether this is an early/accidental leak or just more deceptive wording from MS. However, just about a month ago PUBG announced they were in talks with Sony about bringing PUBG to PS4, so unless Sony are idiots (which they’re not incapable of being), then they’ll do or pay a lot to get PUBG on PS4 ASAP. 

Last edited by pitzy272 - on 01 November 2017

As far as I know PUBG isn’t even a real timed exclusive. It’s only timed for the time of game preview and will release on PS4 at the same date the full game will officially be released on X1.

Snoopy said:
Hiku said:

Microsoft was in the talks extending their partnership.

Like I said, if that's the case, then this labeling is fine.
But MS have used this term differently at E3, so them doing it here isn't exactly an indication of those talks being finalized. Besides if they did reach that agreement, I'm pretty sure they would make a proper announcement of it.

pitzy272 said:
Playstation_awaiter said:
No it's not, people need to stop falling for pr tactics. Just as it's obvious crash isn't PS4 exclusive this isn't either.

If PUBG isn’t an XBO exclusive, this wouldn’t be PR; it would be straight up lying and false advertising. 

aka PR

PR involves spin. If PUBG is not a permanent XBO console exclusive, this would be an outright lie.