By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PUBG is an “XBO console exclusive”

Hiku said:
Snoopy said:

All their games are console exclusives. They are releasing their games on Steam, Windows, and Xbox.

I'm not talking about their games. They presented 22 games at E3 as "console exclusive", when every one of them (or at least the vast majority) turned out to be "timed exclusives" that would be released on PS4 later. This caused confusion among both press attending E3, and the audience.

If they purchased the full console rights to PUBG, then that's fine. But there doesn't appear to be an indication of that yet.

Microsoft was in the talks extending their partnership.

Around the Network
DroidKnight said:
After the E3 conference Microsoft reentered into discussions about the exclusiveness of PUBG and what came out of those negotiations was never disclosed.

Exactly, which is why my main question for the thread was whether this is an early/accidental leak or just more deceptive wording from MS. However, just about a month ago PUBG announced they were in talks with Sony about bringing PUBG to PS4, so unless Sony are idiots (which they’re not incapable of being), then they’ll do or pay a lot to get PUBG on PS4 ASAP. 

Last edited by pitzy272 - on 01 November 2017

As far as I know PUBG isn’t even a real timed exclusive. It’s only timed for the time of game preview and will release on PS4 at the same date the full game will officially be released on X1.

pitzy272 said:
Playstation_awaiter said:
No it's not, people need to stop falling for pr tactics. Just as it's obvious crash isn't PS4 exclusive this isn't either.

If PUBG isn’t an XBO exclusive, this wouldn’t be PR; it would be straight up lying and false advertising. 

aka PR

PR involves spin. If PUBG is not a permanent XBO console exclusive, this would be an outright lie.

Around the Network
pitzy272 said:
PR involves spin. If PUBG is not a permanent XBO console exclusive, this would be an outright lie.

When the game release and you look on the box then you will know if its exclusive or not.  As some have stated and I have varified on a few games, timed exclusives do not have exclusive on the box.

vivster said:
PUBG's twitter links to this news article

https://news.xbox.com/2017/10/31/pubg-coming-xbox-one-december-12-2017/?ocid=Evergreen_soc_omc_xbo_tw_Photo_lrn_10.31.4

In it it says "launch exclusive" whatever that may mean.

As long as it is console exclusive to X1 I don't see a problem writing "console exclusive" on everything.

Isn't it obvious? PUBG is a launch exclusive for the Xbox One's launch on the 22nd november 2013.

Hiku said:
Azzanation said:

Mate no one is changing the meaning of the words.

What is a console Exclusive? A game that is exclusive to a console. When PUBG launches for X1, how many other consoles is it launching for?

Its exclusive until otherwise. 

Why is that so hard for some to grasp.

A console exclusive is and has always been a game that is planned to be permanently exclusive to one console. For example, Nier: Automata is a console exclusive for PS4.

When it's a timed exclusive, as in the publisher has every intention of releasing it on multiple platforms, the industry (And yes, that includes Microsoft) has always used other more specific terms, like "timed exclusive", "launch exclusive", "console exclusive debut", "first on Playstation", etc.
In other words, Microsoft themselves invented these more specific terms to distinguish between a timed exclusive, and a regular console exclusive, etc.

Case in point, MS apparently labeled PUBG as a "launch exclusive" earlier. Microsoft now just saying "Console exclusive" is extremely disingenuous and misleading, and causes unnecesary confusion, which is why this topic was made tob begin with.
Microsoft are doing this for one reason, and one reason only. They want to confuse as many people as possible into believing that their timed exclusive games are actually permanent console exclusives.

No the meaning of console exclusive means a game not available on any other console. Thats what makes PUBG a console exclusive *until* it launches on another console. Or officially annoucned its coming to another console *than* its a Timed Exclusive. Right now its Xbox and for all you know the console exclusive could be brought out by MS which *than* turns it into a permanent exclusive.

The gaming community are the ones changing the meaning. MS dont have to say its a Timed Exclusive because as of right now its only on the Xbox consoles.

The only ones complaining about this are those wanting this game on there platform of choice. MS doesnt need to give a damn about there compeititors or gamers uninterested in there platforms. They paid for this game so they can market it as theres until the deal is done. As of right now PUBG is a console exclusive to Xbox because its not on any other console. Call it a Timed or a launch. Thats on you.

Last edited by Azzanation - on 01 November 2017

I can assume they mean that the Early Access version is exclusive, the full game itself I don't think will be.

Bandorr said:
VGPolyglot said:
I can assume they mean that the Early Access version is exclusive, the full game itself I don't think will be.

It is most likely an early access exclusive. "Xbox Game Preview begins 12.12.2017". Or I guess rather a "xbox game preview" exclusive.

Which makes me quite curious if they are actually going to go with "console exclusive".  Perhaps the back of the package explains it.

It makes me wonder if the final release will also get its own retail version. Hopefully if it does it'll actually come with the disc!