By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PUBG is an “XBO console exclusive”

Hiku said:
LudicrousSpeed said:
At E3 they clearly said launch exclusive.

I find it funny how people get all confused/upset when MS uses the term launch exclusive for these games but when Sony showcases a ton of indies/digital titles as console launch exclusive no one seems confused or angry.

It's pretty simple. It's going to launch on Xbone first and be exclusive for awhile, then will come to PS4.

But now they're saying "Console Exclusive". Which means they're using two different terms for the same game.

You don't see the problem in using different terms to mean the same thing, and for the same game? There's nothing "pretty simple" about that.

Not to mention changing the meaning of terms. At E3 they also used the term "Console Exclusive" to describe games that were "timed exclusive".
No one asked Microsoft to redefine what "Console Exclusive" means. It seems people forgot about that E3 presentation, and now they're confused.

This explains the whole mess rather well. Unless PUBG is now only going to appear on the XBO in the console realm, this is just another slimey move, in an ongoing series of slimey moves from MS. Nobody does it better, or at the very least, as often.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

Around the Network
LudicrousSpeed said:

I find it funny how people get all confused/upset when MS uses the term launch exclusive for these games but when Sony showcases a ton of indies/digital titles as console launch exclusive no one seems confused or angry.

It's pretty simple. It's going to launch on Xbone first and be exclusive for awhile, then will come to PS4.

MS isn’t using the word “launch exclusive” here; they’re saying “console exclusive”, which has always indicated permanent exclusivity to a certain console, while also being on PC.

There is nothing saying it will arrive on any other system until the developer says so. Who knows the type of money MS may be willing to throw at this game to keep it exclusive. Either way we probably will know in a years time.

Azzanation said:
Hiku said:

But now they're saying "Console Exclusive". Which means they're using two different terms for the same game.

You don't see the problem in using different terms to mean the same thing, and for the same game? There's nothing "pretty simple" about that.

Not to mention changing the meaning of terms. At E3 they also used the term "Console Exclusive" to describe games that were "timed exclusive".
No one asked Microsoft to redefine what "Console Exclusive" means. It seems people forgot about that E3 presentation, and now they're confused.

Mate no one is changing the meaning of the words.

What is a console Exclusive? A game that is exclusive to a console. When PUBG launches for X1, how many other consoles is it launching for?

Its exclusive until otherwise. 

Why is that so hard for some to grasp.

Bc the word “exclusive” or “console exclusive” has ALWAYS indicated permanent console exclusivity. “First on PS4/XBO” or even “launch exclusive” are the terms used when exclusivity has some form of temporary nature. 

After the E3 conference Microsoft reentered into discussions about the exclusiveness of PUBG and what came out of those negotiations was never disclosed.

...to avoid getting banned for inactivity, I may have to resort to comments that are of a lower overall quality and or beneath my moral standards.

Around the Network

I said this a while back. Microsoft is probably going to buy this IP out like they did with Gears of War and Minecraft. They are obviously looking to get more GAAS games.

Hiku said:
Azzanation said:

Mate no one is changing the meaning of the words.

What is a console Exclusive? A game that is exclusive to a console. When PUBG launches for X1, how many other consoles is it launching for?

Its exclusive until otherwise. 

Why is that so hard for some to grasp.

A console exclusive is and has always been a game that is planned to be permanently exclusive to one console. For example, Nier: Automata is a console exclusive for PS4.

When it's a timed exclusive, as in the publisher has every intention of releasing it on multiple platforms, the industry has always used other more specific terms, like "timed exclusive", "launch exclusive", "console exclusive debut", "first on Playstation", etc.
And MS apparently labeled PUBG as a "launch exclusive" earlier. Microsoft now just saying "Console exclusive" is extremely disingenuous and misleading, and causes unnecesary confusion, which is why this topic was made tob begin with.
Microsoft are doing this for one reason, and one reason only. They want to confuse as many people as possible into believing that their timed exclusive games are actually permanent console exclusives.

Exactly this

Tmfwang said:
LudicrousSpeed said:

They say "console exclusive debut" which is literally the same thing.

When did they say that?

I remenber it being said about a slew of titles at Gamescom this gen, might even be the first PS4 Gamescom. I'm sure there are other instances of it, I don't get bent out of shape about clear marketing gymanistics so it doesn't bother me, I don't make mental notes when I see it. But the bottom line is MS isn't alone when it comes to advertising a game launching as a console exclusive on their platform. The only word different is launch vs debut, which is the same thing.

Hiku said:
LudicrousSpeed said:

And no, this is in no way equivalent to Sony saying "console exclusive debut" because they included the term "debut".
Microsoft are omitting that term.

Actually even at E3 they were using both terms. They first revealed the game as a console launch exclusive and after the trailer just had text on the stage saying Xbox One Exclusive or something. For the foreseeable future it's an Xbone console exclusive. We all know it's coming to other consoles, it was right there when MS first revealed the game. 

Gonna file this under "not an issue".

Hiku said:
Snoopy said:
I said this a while back. Microsoft is probably going to buy this IP out like they did with Gears of War and Minecraft. They are obviously looking to get more GAAS games.

Read my posts.
Microsoft have since E3 begun to use the term "console exclusive" to describe "timed exclusive" games.

If they have plans to buy PUBG, then them calling it console exclusive is not an indication of that.

All their games are console exclusives. They are releasing their games on Steam, Windows, and Xbox.

It certainly is unnecessary, we can agree on that :)