Forums - Gaming Discussion - PUBG is an “XBO console exclusive”

Hiku said:
LudicrousSpeed said:

Because the two things literally mean the exact same thing. Per usual here, MicroSony does something "bad" but it's only "bad" when Microsoft does it, lol. Again, never change, Chartz. Oh, ok, it's "how" Sony uses it. Ok, cool story, gotcha.

What the...

When I said that "console launch exclusive is a term Microsoft introduced to distinguish between a permanent exclusive and a temporary one", I meant exactly that. Like how Nintendo introduced the term "Nintendo Selects" to mean the same thing as for example Playstation's "Platinum" logo. Both are indications of a reprinted and discounted version of a game. Nintendo's version is "Nintendo Selects." That's the term they came up with to describe it.

Somehow, sommewhere, in a galaxy far far away, even after explaining this to you again, you miraculously missed the point again.

It's a good thing that companies are introducing terms to distinguish a difference to another.
"Console launch exclusive" is Microsoft's version, and "Exclusive console debut" is Sony's version.
That's literally what I said...

And your response is, "no because they mean the same thing".

Is it the word "introduced" that confused you? "Introduced" does not mean "pioneered" or "invented". It's just refering to the first time Microsoft used the term "console launch exclusive". Because that's how they chose to name it.

Now on to the second part of my post, where I mentioned how the terms are used. I mentioned it because you didn't mention it at all in that post.
First of all, I didn't say "How Sony" uses them. I said "how they are used". As in by any company. I was making a general statement here.
"Marketing terms are fine. As long as they're not used in misleading ways." This is true for any company or market. That'sa  fact.

Although on that note, how MS have been using the terms in the case of PUBG has been nothing short of confusing. So if there is anything you should have been defensive about, it would be this. Not at the part where I said that MS did something good...
I said that MS introduced their term for timed exclusives, so that we can more easily distinguish the difference to a permanent one (which is good), and your response was "No, because it means the same thing. Sony did the same thing. Never change Chartz LOL"

Uh, what? You do remember that I am the one who told you they used two different terms for PUBG at E3? That I am the one who told you it said one thing before the trailer, and another afterwards. You didn't know that. In fact you knew very little about the MS E3 while discussing it factually in this thread. So yeah, I'm not forgetting something that I literally made you aware of, lol. The very first time MS discussed PUBG they said it was a console launch exclusive. It's still a launch exclusive. The developer has said they've been in talks with Sony. The game is coming to PS4.

You ignored it IN THE POST I QUOTED!
Do I actually have to point that out? How are you not understanding these things?
You complained about something that I said not as an insult to MS, but in fact as a praise, but you completely skipped mentioning the big thing I complained about, which was how they used multiple terms to mean the same thing.

And for that matter, stop "subtweeting" me. When you're refering to something I said, quote me or at least mention me by name so I can see you're talking about me and properly respond. But you don't, so you can intentionally leave out the important parts I complained about and act as if I didn't?

Anyway, what you did was point out to me that MS used a different term to describe PUBG at E3. But what you didn't tell me is that at the end of the same trailer, they used yet another, third term in total.
So when you say "The very first time MS discussed PUBG they said it was a console launch exclusive", if you are refering to their E3 presentation, that's not accurate.
In that trailer, it said both "XBO Console launch exclusive" and "XBO Exclusive.".
They did not mention a single word about a game preview version there.

Totally, breh. Exclusive button prompts or an exclusive demo are completely the same thing as the entire game itself. Don't fall while you're making that gargantuan reach, please. I know I said it before but lulz personal attacks brought me back into the thread but I'm washing my hands of this discussion, we've reached the bottom of the barrel with what you just posted, no offense. A for effort.

An Xbox Game Preview is not the entire game. It's similar to Steam's Early Access, where you get to pay to play unfinished versions of a game.
Either way, there are several problems with how MS are labeling the game, dating back to E3, and especially on their site. Not just the choice of term, but how it was presented as well.

Correct way:

Wrong way:

Dude, don’t waste your time. After going back and forth with LudicrousSpeed in this thread, I can say that he is the most unreasonable user I’ve dealt with in my entire 8 years on VGC. I don’t think he’s stupid; I think he intentionally ignores everything and anything he wants in order to defend MS to the bitter end. I felt like I was taking crazy pills while trying to reason with him. 

Around the Network
Hiku said:
Bandorr said:

Seems like you have that patience of Ghandi. I gave up on these two usual suspects long, long, long, long ago.  Every discussion I've found is utterally pointless.  It gets to the point where I wonder if they are intentionally ignoring anything I've said just so they can continue to play the ignorance card.

It is like I said water is wet, they would complain about the grass not being long enough.

So keep up the good work, it is well written and clearly the patients of a saint.

I wanted to describe how I felt the urge to smash my head against a wall in regards to the first part, because I did not know how to begin to explain it to him, because I could not fathom how he could get something so simple, so wrong, twice.
The more I tried to imagine a simple and short answer, the more I realized I would have to break it down and analyze it in detail for him, like a lab report.

But now that you mention it, the thought of him pretending to be dense on purpose certainly crossed my mind once or twice. Or five times.

Haha this made me lol bc I had the same feeling trying to have a discussion with him

Bandorr said:
Hiku said:

I honestly wanted to describe how I wanted to smash my head against a wall in regards to the first part, because I did not know how to begin to explain it to him, because I could not fathom how he could get something so simple, so wrong, twice.
The more I tried to imagine a simple and short answer, the more I realized I would have to break it down and analyze it in detail for him, like a lab report.

But now that you mention it, the thought of him pretending to be dense on purpose certainly crossed my mind once or twice. Or five times.

Those are my second worst kinds of people to ever try and have a discussion with. The others are the ones that look for any flaw or error and respond ONLY to that.

If you point out 10 things are wrong, and you get one of those wrong - that is sitll NINE things wrong. But do they address any of those? No just the first one.

Which prevents you from having actual discussions. It forces you to baby them. You have to take it literally one point at a time, or they get distracted and get off topic.

But you were not only constantly responding to them, but even giving good examples and using images well. 

Also looking at that e-mail I think the Monster hunter Beta is the same day as the DBZ beta. Choices.. choices..

Yeah, I've come across too many people behaving like that as well.
In this case he made a fresh 'new' post several pages after our last dicussion. Except he referenced something I said, but his account on what I was critisizing Microsoft for was something entierly different. And the parts I actually critisized them for, he convenently failed to mention.

When I pointed out that out, he claimed that he didn't ignore it, because in a previous post he was the one who brought one of the factors that lead to my criticism to my attention.
Except I was (obviously) talking about his current post. And I was (obviously) talking about how using multiple terms to mean the same thing is a problem. Him previously pointing out that MS used the term "console launch exclusive" at E3 in an attempt to score positive points for them, is not the same as acknowledging the problems that came with it. Nor does it excuse his "subtweet" of a post where he seemingly wanted to rewrite history without me noticing.

I don't know if he's pretending to be dense just to make the other person waste more time typing, or if he really is. But this is similar to something I've been meaning to bring up with the mod team, in regards to clarification on what constitutes as behaviour that can be worthy of an infraction.

Last edited by Hiku - on 06 November 2017

Hiku said:
Bandorr said:

Those are my second worst kinds of people to ever try and have a discussion with. The others are the ones that look for any flaw or error and respond ONLY to that.

If you point out 10 things are wrong, and you get one of those wrong - that is sitll NINE things wrong. But do they address any of those? No just the first one.

Which prevents you from having actual discussions. It forces you to baby them. You have to take it literally one point at a time, or they get distracted and get off topic.

But you were not only constantly responding to them, but even giving good examples and using images well. 

Also looking at that e-mail I think the Monster hunter Beta is the same day as the DBZ beta. Choices.. choices..

Yeah, I've come across too many people behaving like that as well.
In this case he made a fresh 'new' post several pages after our last dicussion. Except he referenced something I said, but his account on what I was critisizing Microsoft for was something entierly different. And the parts I actually critisized them for, he convenently failed to mention.

When I pointed out that out, he claimed that he didn't ignore it, because in a previous post he was the one who brought one of the factors that lead to my criticism to my attention.
Except I was (obviously) talking about his current post. And I was (obviously) talking about how using two or three different terms to mean the same thing is a problem. Him previously pointing out to me that MS used the term "console launch exclusive" at E3 in an attempt to score positive points for MS, is not the same as acknowledging the problems with that trailer having two different terms.

I don't know if he's pretending to be dense just to make the other person waste more time typing, or if he really is. But this is something I've been meaming to bring up with the mod team, or ask them about, in regards to clarification on what constitutes as behaviour that can be awarded with an infraction.

Interesting point.   Peoples inability to stay on topic has ruined quite a few conversations I've had. To the point of which I don't even bother reading what they write anymore. That is not beneficial to a site like this.

People avoiding points, ignoring them, misinterrupting them etc is definitely one of my big pet peeves. I just lose any interest and going "and what about these other 5 parts you ignored?"

• Deadliest mass shooting by an individual in US history (10/01/2017)
  • Deadliest high school shooting in US history (02/14/2018)
  • Deadliest massacre of Jews in US history (10/27/2018)
  • Political assassination attempt of TWO former presidents(and 10+ other people)  (10/23/2018 - and beyond)

Wow! Monster Hunter World beta for Playstation Plus members begins December 9th?!?!?!?! I didn't even know there was a beta!

Looks like this thread was worth something after all!

Too worthless to live, too scared to die. 

Around the Network
Playstation_awaiter said:
Now that we know ms trying to buy Bluehole failed it's even further confirmation PUBG is timed.

It was clear they would be trying to do that and they were right to say no. We know the timed exclusivity is only for the time before official launch date. At least it seems that way. When that date will come we shall see.

Hiku said:
Azzanation said:

Your still wrong. And I will explain why.

A Console Exclusive is a game that is exclusive to that console. It always meant that.

e.g. - I walk into a Gaming store wanting to buy PUBG. I check the Switch and PS4 shelves, not available on either, I check the Xbox One shelf and its available for purchase. That is a Console Exclusive, that has always been that way. That term has never changed.

You're* still wrong. "Your" wrong suggests that the word "wrong" is something I possess. Like "your keys". "Your food". "Your shirt".
And it's not spelling. It's not like you fumbled and hit the wrong key. It's elementary school level grammar. You just never learned the difference. But I've explained it to you before. And it only takes 2 minutes to google what the apostrophe is there for, if you don't want to take my word for it.

And your description is not accurate. And I'll explain why.
Because what you just described fits "Console launch exclusive" as well.
A proper description has to distinguish the difference between the terms.

MS are supporting and paying for this game so they can use any term they want for it; in this case they are using Console Exclusive. They don’t have to say it’s a timed exclusive or launch exclusive. That’s up to them if they want to do it. As long as there not misleading by saying the game is a permanent exclusive and 1 year later comes to PS4/Switch than that will be a different story.

In this case MS choose to use Console Exclusive because it’s not on any other platform on launch, it could be a 6 month timed or a 10 year timed, that’s no one else’s business aside from MS and BlueHole games.

We all know the game will come to other platforms however we cannot say it’s not a console exclusive because it is. The gaming community needs to understand the meaning and not assume that these terms have rules in place.  The meaning makes perfect sense.

Did you look at the pictures I posted at all? Because you just ignored the point completely.
They used multiple terms for PUBG.
During the E3 presentation, in the very same trailer, they used two distinguishably different terms. One at the beginning, and one at the end. "XBO Console Launch Exclusive" & "XBO Exclusive"
And now on their website they're using a third term. "XBO Console Exclusive."

These three terms do not mean the same thing. The reason MS introduced them to begin with was to distinguish the difference between them.
So when they use three different terms to describe the game's status, two in the trailer, and a third on their website, they're changing the meaning of the terms to mean the same thing. Which defeats the entire purpose of having separate terms.

Your still going on about spelling? (I even highlighted it for you. Also are you trying to change the topic of this debate by turning it into a spell check grammer thread? Can you honestly do me a favor. Can you think real hard and ask yourself how much i care for your corrections? If you havent realised yet that my care factor is 0% than good day sir.

On another note instead of correcting people on spelling which only shows signs of poor arguments on your side. Why not learn what the word Console Exclusive means. That would do us all a favor. 

MS can use any term they want becasue its there game there paying for. Timed or launch all mean Console Exclusive in the end. You need to understand that and not debate that. If the game is only available on 1 console even for 1 week than its a Console Exclusive regardless if its Times or a Launch title. 

Azzanation said:
Hiku said:

You're* still wrong. "Your" wrong suggests that the word "wrong" is something I possess. Like "your keys". "Your food". "Your shirt".
And it's not spelling. It's not like you fumbled and hit the wrong key. It's elementary school level grammar. You just never learned the difference. But I've explained it to you before. And it only takes 2 minutes to google what the apostrophe is there for, if you don't want to take my word for it.

And your description is not accurate. And I'll explain why.
Because what you just described fits "Console launch exclusive" as well.
A proper description has to distinguish the difference between the terms.

MS are supporting and paying for this game so they can use any term they want for it; in this case they are using Console Exclusive. They don’t have to say it’s a timed exclusive or launch exclusive. That’s up to them if they want to do it. As long as there not misleading by saying the game is a permanent exclusive and 1 year later comes to PS4/Switch than that will be a different story.

In this case MS choose to use Console Exclusive because it’s not on any other platform on launch, it could be a 6 month timed or a 10 year timed, that’s no one else’s business aside from MS and BlueHole games.

We all know the game will come to other platforms however we cannot say it’s not a console exclusive because it is. The gaming community needs to understand the meaning and not assume that these terms have rules in place.  The meaning makes perfect sense.

Did you look at the pictures I posted at all? Because you just ignored the point completely.
They used multiple terms for PUBG.
During the E3 presentation, in the very same trailer, they used two distinguishably different terms. One at the beginning, and one at the end. "XBO Console Launch Exclusive" & "XBO Exclusive"
And now on their website they're using a third term. "XBO Console Exclusive."

These three terms do not mean the same thing. The reason MS introduced them to begin with was to distinguish the difference between them.
So when they use three different terms to describe the game's status, two in the trailer, and a third on their website, they're changing the meaning of the terms to mean the same thing. Which defeats the entire purpose of having separate terms.

Your still going on about spelling? (I even highlighted it for you. Also are you trying to change the topic of this debate by turning it into a spell check grammer thread? Can you honestly do me a favor. Can you think real hard and ask yourself how much i care for your corrections? If you havent realised yet that my care factor is 0% than good day sir.

On another note instead of correcting people on spelling which only shows signs of poor arguments on your side. Why not learn what the word Console Exclusive means. That would do us all a favor. 

MS can use any term they want becasue its there game there paying for. Timed or launch all mean Console Exclusive in the end. You need to understand that and not debate that. If the game is only available on 1 console even for 1 week than its a Console Exclusive regardless if its Times or a Launch title. 

No, that’s never how it’s been. The word exclusive or console exclusive without some other term attached to it has always meant permanent exclusivity. So if someone comes around and suddenly uses a word, that has an established meaning, to mean something else entirely that’s deceptive.

This is true, but that's not the reason why everyone has been arguing about this. It's not about whether they have the right or whatever, they do. The question is whether or not it's ethical. Most here don't think it is. And that's the problem.

By referring to it as a traditional exclusive on packaging and advertisements, they are trying to sell more Xbox One's and confusing the market. It's dishonest and sucks for those with a PS4 who want to know when they reasonably will see the game.

gergroy said:
Why are people upset about this? As far as underhanded advertising, this is so mild I don’t know if I would even think twice about it, let alone get upset about it....

Good question, then again the question already answered itself and only a few here like you and LudicrousSpeed already notice.

Proud to be a Californian.