By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Rumor: Super Mario Odyssey’s highest resolution is 1080p in TV mode

Pemalite said:
S.Peelman said:
@Pemalite: Bleeding eyes at 720p is a bit of exaggeration, but yeah, higher resolution is better.

It is supposed to be an exaggeration. I highly doubt anyone in the history of gaming literally had their eyes bleed because of terrible resolutions. Haha
But 720P is certainly shit. Heck even my phone is 2560x1440 and it looks glorious.

Yeah, personally it's not a deal-breaker for me on it's own but I do agree that 720p is disappointing in this day and age. I mean, come on, it's 2017.

Around the Network
TomaTito said:
Qwark said:

720p/SDR is a bit lacklustre on a 4k HDR screen.

480p/720p look fine in my 1080p TV (it has a capable scaler). I won't make the jump to HDR (dont care about 4K) until this TV breaks, and that is years away. But yeah, if you have a 4K TV with HDR the Switch itself might be lacking.

Mostly the lack of HDR is a crying shame (Ratchet anf Clank in HDR looks superb) since it makes a huge difference with little to no hardware demands for the Switch. 900p is a reasonable resolution for a cartoon game. Although more realistic styled games like hellblade have a soft picture.

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

Some random intern at a regional customer support team will definitely know the final resolution, what a fine piece of journalism Nintendotoday!

@discussion above: 720p is awful on a 1080p screen with complex graphics (current and last gen games). But games with simpler graphics look nice, like og Xbox games, early 360 games. (DOA2U/Outrun 2 look awesome). I also like my 480p Gamecube games on Nintendont thru WiiU.

Pemalite said:
TomaTito said:

You care enough that 900p vs 1080p is a deal breaker? I assume 720p in a fullHD screen is a big no no.

All my devices are 1440P or higher (With the exception of the 3DS I just bought, the jaggies are bullshit on that.) and that is the resolution I prefer to game at, or higher... Like 4k and then downscale it to 1440P.

Wow.
What model did you get?
What games do you have?

Dynamic resolution between 900p-1080p? nice :)

Around the Network

Maybe 1080p will be exclusive to the photo mode? We know that the games textures and assets as well as draw distance improve in photo mode. Maybe resolution bumps as well?

Miyamotoo said:

The report comes from one of our users, Gold Luigi, who contacted Nintendo and got the following reply:

“On handheld mode, the highest resolution will be 720p, while in TV mode, the highest resolution will be 1080p.”

The wording could indicate that 1080p is the maximum resolution, with perhaps a dynamic resolution that scales from 900p to 1080p.

S.Peelman said:
I doubt Rita from Nintendo UK Customer Support would really know this, but I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo did manage to get the game up to 1080p.

I agree,

all Rita is tellling us is that the highest possible resolution in handheld mode of any Switch game is 720p (due to the limitations of the handheld screen) and that the highest possible resolution in TV mode of any Switch game is 1080p (since any native resolution below that is upscaled to a 1080p HDMI-signal).

Qwark said:
TomaTito said:

You care enough that 900p vs 1080p is a deal breaker? I assume 720p in a fullHD screen is a big no no.

720p/SDR is a bit lacklustre on a 4k HDR screen.

There is  a function on most 4k tvs, mine has it, that make it a bit sharper with some tv engine trickery of some sort, maybe it is black magic, who knows.

My grammar errors are justified by the fact that I am a brazilian living in Brazil. I am also very stupid.

JRPGfan said:
Dynamic resolution between 900p-1080p? nice :)

1080p only if you're looking towards the sky, like Splatoon 2. 

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

Should have been locked earlier, but this is a duplicate thread. Please continue the discussion here: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=232329&page=1

NNID: Zephyr25 / PSN: Zephyr--25 / Switch: SW-4450-3680-7334