By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Bethesda: Doom is “custom-built” for Switch

It may be at the lower end of performance but its still a Nvidia GPU with a recent architecture and feature set. I'm not worried so much about docked performance as the Switch has much more memory and a faster more capable gpu than last gen, which were also capable of downgraded ps4/xbone ports. I'm just still interested to see what the retail level of performance will be in portable mode.

That is where the Switch has some shortcomings against last gen hardware both in cpu and raw GPU performance.

Still it's fantastic to see Switch getting these games and Bethesda's commitment to the Switch. I really hope we get some sort of Fallout 3/Vegas dual cartridge with some bonus content and new features. Which is certainly possible if Skyrim and Doom perform well commercially.

Around the Network
AngryLittleAlchemist said:
Can we all just take the time to appreciate something :

We've known about Skyrim since January. They've talked about Skyrim at almost every turn. It's coming on November 17th. Yet Doom, a game that no one expected and was announced on September 13th, is coming HOLIDAY of this year, around the same time as Skyrim. That's ... that's ... AMAZING!!!

Either the Switch really is that easy to port games to, or this has somehow avoided leaking since launch. To be fair, most people would ave said Doom on the Switch was bullshit before the Direct, but still...

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Now I know how PC gamers feel loll jk jk

That looks fantastic on the Switch!

Bethesda is smart; there is hardly any competition in the genre on Switch. Anyone who wants to play a good FPS on Switch will buy Doom. Activision really dropped the ball there to let Bethesda take the whole pie.

The game looks really good as well, considering Switch's limitations. I bet you'll hardly see a difference with PS4 in handheld mode due to the smaller screen. It has to be 60fps though, 30fps will kill the experience.

mZuzek said:
These are obviously bullshots, since the Switch isn't any more powerful than PS3/360.

LoL, this guy....Switch isn't more powerful than PS3/360???  LoL again!!! get your facts straight. 

Around the Network
darkrulier said:
mZuzek said:
These are obviously bullshots, since the Switch isn't any more powerful than PS3/360.

LoL, this guy....Switch isn't more powerful than PS3/360???  LoL again!!! get your facts straight. 

this is sarcasm...

(=^・ω・^=) Kuroneko S2 - Ore no Imouto - SteamMyAnimeList and Twitter - PSN: Gustavo_Valim - Switch FC: 6390-8693-0129 (=^・ω・^=)
darkrulier said:
mZuzek said:

He was joking

Also, will the game run at 60 FPS? Or 30?

ThisGuyFooks said:
darkrulier said:

He was joking

Also, will the game run at 60 FPS? Or 30?

the embargo for those who tested the doom on the switch is on September 20, at least that's what they said in kindafunny.

(=^・ω・^=) Kuroneko S2 - Ore no Imouto - SteamMyAnimeList and Twitter - PSN: Gustavo_Valim - Switch FC: 6390-8693-0129 (=^・ω・^=)
V-r0cK said:
Now I know how PC gamers feel loll jk jk

That looks fantastic on the Switch!

Pretty much.

Green098 said:

Switch can't run current AAA game's they said, it isn't powerful enough they said.

It'll be obviously downgraded but that isn't the point, it looks good though, very impressively close for a portable system. But I'll also wait on digital foundry for the visual comparison with direct native feed capture of the full game, but the fact a handheld in 2017 can run this game as well as Wolfenstein II is insane.

In most cases, the truth is probably closer to porting being quite expensive. In some cases, it can be impossible without pretty big changes. Obviously in Doom's case, it shouldn't be too hard because it's a fairly traditional game in term of level design etc. so beyond graphics, there shouldn't be (m)any too demanding parts.