By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Lawsuit filed against Nintendo over Switch’s detachable controllers

Nuvendil said:
Insidb said:

Your response is actually well-reasoned, and the device looks like it should have more infringment issues with the dock. However, their other devices are extremely similar. I have not looked at the filing and won't until I get paid to, but you're not the problem on this thread.

Well, the device pictured in the second post is a 3D mockup.  Their new device, for which they have raised 12 million in investment capital to bring to market, looks similar in the images posted by twintail but in actuality appears to also use a bridge, this one being of cloth or a strap that likely houses some wiring since Gamevice's Wikipad based items are one device, not two, powered by and commuicating with your phone or tablet via the charge/data port.  This fundamentally alters the device.  The Joy Con are 2 independently functioning devices that *can* be attached to the Switch.  The Wikipad product line, both old and the new device still forthcoming, are singluar devices that act purely as a single phone attachment.  And since this is referrenced in their patent, it already puts them on shaky ground as it draws a sort of line in the sand.  The Wikipad is one devicd, joined by a flexible or rigid bridge that serve as an attachment to your phone.  The Joy Con are two independent, full functioning controllers that have the ability to attach to the console.

It really comes down to their claims, not even the disclosure. From what you're citing, it sounds like they're trying to argue that it infringed upon the bridged design: that's a tough argument.

Around the Network
VAMatt said:
There are probably a bunch more lawsuits around the Switch. These companies are always in court, fighting eachother.

Intellectual property "rights" are a joke. Ownership of an idea is just some government created bullshit to protect big companies from competition. Of course, Nintendo takes advantage of IP protection laws too, which makes them no better than Gamevice. So, I have no sympathy for them.

I understand if you're against something such as Apple suing Samsung for having phones with curved corners, but aren't IP's completely different?

They built them and put the effort into it. I'd dislike it if someone stole art, music, or a piece of literature - why shouldn't IP's be different?

The law protects those who have better lawyers and have better evidence, not necessarily who is right. Also depends on the Judge sometimes.

fatslob-:O said:
Azuren said:

If the prosecutor manages to bar sales of the Switch, then yes; it could very well spell Nintendo's doom. A lot of R&D went into the Switch, and being told to go back to the drawing board so soon could hurt Nintendo so bad they may never recover.

Then Nintendo only has to pay royalties in America or just design the Switch without detachable joy-cons ... 

It's not the end of the world if Nintendo can't have detachable joy-cons on the Switch anymore ... 

And if the company says "I don't want your royalties", then poof-

No more Switch.

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

Nintendo has gotten sued at the start of nearly every generation.

Most of the time they win, I can't see this being any different especially given how flimsy the claim is.

Around the Network
Insidb said:
vivster said:
As if this was true whatsoever. Nintendo is master innovator and there is no way tablets with controller peripherals existed before the Nintendo Switch.

/s?

vivster's never sarcastic. He's as serious as the people defending this case.

They might have a case. They've been making detachable gaming controllers for tablets and smartphones for awhile.

https://gamevice.com/

NintendoPie said:
Insidb said:

/s?

Revisit your assessment lol.

Insidb said:
NintendoPie said:

I'm never sarcastic either.

NintendoPie said:
Insidb said:

I'm never sarcastic either.

Really!? Me, either!