By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Lawsuit filed against Nintendo over Switch’s detachable controllers

Nintendo's Layers be ready like .....

Don’t follow the hype, follow the games

— 

Here a little quote I want for those to keep memorize in your head for this coming next gen.                            

By: Suke

Around the Network
Azuren said:
I hope it gets resolved. It'd be unfortunate if this lawsuit got what it wanted and Nintendo went out of business over this.

What ?! Nintendo's not going out of business just because they have to pay relatively small damage fees (for their size as a corporation) and royalties for every Switch sold in the US ... 

Lol, this isn't going to end well for them. I bet Nintendo is just sick of this by now but their track record is golden. Don't expect a settlement or a ruling in their favor.

theRepublic said:
Azuren said:
I hope it gets resolved. It'd be unfortunate if this lawsuit got what it wanted and Nintendo went out of business over this.

You don't need to worry about that.  At most, Nintendo would likely just end up paying out some money.  Their lawyers have been pretty good with these lawsuits against them lately, so they could also just win.

Unless opposing counsel wins and they're client doesn't wish to allow Nintendo to continue. I don't believe it will go that far, but it'd be rather surreal to see Nintendo fall from this.

fatslob-:O said:
Azuren said:

What ?! Nintendo's not going out of business just because they have to pay relatively small damage fees (for their size as a corporation) and royalties for every Switch sold in the US ... 

If the prosecutor manages to bar sales of the Switch, then yes; it could very well spell Nintendo's doom. A lot of R&D went into the Switch, and being told to go back to the drawing board so soon could hurt Nintendo so bad they may never recover.

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

Azuren said:

If the prosecutor manages to bar sales of the Switch, then yes; it could very well spell Nintendo's doom. A lot of R&D went into the Switch, and being told to go back to the drawing board so soon could hurt Nintendo so bad they may never recover.

Then Nintendo only has to pay royalties in America or just design the Switch without detachable joy-cons ... 

It's not the end of the world if Nintendo can't have detachable joy-cons on the Switch anymore ... 

Around the Network
monocle_layton said:
Cloudman said:
Ugh, another one of these? Seems like at least a few of these pop up whenever does a new console with an interesting twist. They always seem to show up when Nintendo has a success in their hands. I never even hear about these other products until lawsuits come up.

They probably do this for marketing. They come up in headlines, people buy their products - it's actually pretty smart

What, the Wikipad thing? Sounds like a crappy way to do it, and I dunno if this would help push sales for whatever this thing is...

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

Nuvendil said:

Insidb said:

That's not how this works; if the scope of Gamevice's claims are broad enough, they encompass the Switch Joycon design. If Nintendo has a narrow claim for usage for a device for their system and the same for Gamevice, then there is no overlap of disclosure. 

Issue is, they already admit their patent is narrower than this suit implies by indicating the use of a bridge joining the controller halves together, making them one device and are having to try and argue that the Switch's metal frame acts as the bridge even though it serves no such function and doesn't change the fact the Joy-Con are independent devices.

And that's just what they outright admitted in their own filing.

Your response is actually well-reasoned, and the device looks like it should have more infringment issues with the dock. However, their other devices are extremely similar. I have not looked at the filing and won't until I get paid to, but you're not the problem on this thread.

SuperNova said:
You can't patent the basic concept of 'detachable controllers', so their complain has to lie with design and functionality similarities and based on all of the pictures seen here they really don't have a case.

Also, why would they try to get a sales ban on Switch, when they could just cash in via royalties in case they win?

You actually can, but I have a hard time believing that it's not already expired art.

Patents like this are ridiculous. The products aren't even in competition. The whole point of patents, as proposed by those who support them, is that it will reward those who make the product by securing them a temporary monopoly on its production. Please somebody, support the justification for this? What damages has Nintendo caused Gamevice by releasing the Switch with detachable controllers? If I were Nintendo's lawyers, I'd focus on the non-existent damages. There is not a single person in the world who said, "I was going to buy a Wikipad, but Nintendo released the Switch so I am going to get that instead." Seriously... 

Insidb said:
Nuvendil said:

Issue is, they already admit their patent is narrower than this suit implies by indicating the use of a bridge joining the controller halves together, making them one device and are having to try and argue that the Switch's metal frame acts as the bridge even though it serves no such function and doesn't change the fact the Joy-Con are independent devices.

And that's just what they outright admitted in their own filing.

Your response is actually well-reasoned, and the device looks like it should have more infringment issues with the dock. However, their other devices are extremely similar. I have not looked at the filing and won't until I get paid to, but you're not the problem on this thread.

Well, the device pictured in the second post is a 3D mockup.  Their new device, for which they have raised 12 million in investment capital to bring to market, looks similar in the images posted by twintail but in actuality appears to also use a bridge, this one being of cloth or a strap that likely houses some wiring since Gamevice's Wikipad based items are one device, not two, powered by and commuicating with your phone or tablet via the charge/data port.  This fundamentally alters the device.  The Joy Con are 2 independently functioning devices that *can* be attached to the Switch.  The Wikipad product line, both old and the new device still forthcoming, are singluar devices that act purely as a single phone attachment.  And since this is referrenced in their patent, it already puts them on shaky ground as it draws a sort of line in the sand.  The Wikipad is one devicd, joined by a flexible or rigid bridge that serve as an attachment to your phone.  The Joy Con are two independent, full functioning controllers that have the ability to attach to the console.