Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Lawsuit filed against Nintendo over Switch’s detachable controllers

deskpro2k3 said:
Nuvendil said:

Ok that's actually not what happened, at all.  Samsung were and remained to my knowledge at war over a large number of software and hardware patents.  In the course of the trials, Apple secured a limited time ban on the sale of 2 Samsung tablets in Germany and Australia on the basis they looked too much like iPads.  

Thing is, 1) this only worked because they were already in a heated, legitimate battle, 2) this was very limited, and 3) the implication of stealing sales by confusing customers can only fly if you A) have actual sales prospects and B) your product and the other one look nearly identical.  This situation is not comlarable in any capacity 

the jury bought into Apple's copying claims, particularly around the iPhone, not so much for the iPad;  Apple's claims over rectangles with rounded corners, and technology that is similar with Samsung. Ya nah, I'm not going to debate over this. It's either you're right or Forbes is wrong or vice versa.

Oh that suit.  I thought you referred to their sales ban attempt vs Samsung's tablets, which also happened around the same time.  And you conveniently left out the technology bit so I assumed you were referring to an instance purely dealing with appearance, hence the confusion.

Around the Network

I hope it gets resolved. It'd be unfortunate if this lawsuit got what it wanted and Nintendo went out of business over this.

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

Geez here we go again

I would say they don't have a case as I doubt it's the same exact mechanism. Of course, who knows how judges are going to rule. Just look at the dumb iPhone lawsuit Apple won by saying the other phone "feels and looks" like their phone.

Azuren said:
I hope it gets resolved. It'd be unfortunate if this lawsuit got what it wanted and Nintendo went out of business over this.

You don't need to worry about that.  At most, Nintendo would likely just end up paying out some money.  Their lawyers have been pretty good with these lawsuits against them lately, so they could also just win.

NNID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
3DS - Currently Gaming Like It's 2011 - The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D
PC - Currently Gaming Like It's 2012 - Borderlands 2
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links

Around the Network
TruckOSaurus said:
You know this might just be a marketing move. I mean I've just watched a 4 minute ad for a tablet/controller that I wouldn't have known even existed if it wasn't for the lawsuit. So win or lose, they get something out of it.

because lawyers get paid minumum wage now....

Nintendo's Layers be ready like .....

Don’t follow the hype, follow the games

— 

Here a little quote I want for those to keep memorize in your head for this coming next gen.                            

By: Suke

Azuren said:

What ?! Nintendo's not going out of business just because they have to pay relatively small damage fees (for their size as a corporation) and royalties for every Switch sold in the US ... 

Lol, this isn't going to end well for them. I bet Nintendo is just sick of this by now but their track record is golden. Don't expect a settlement or a ruling in their favor.

theRepublic said:
Azuren said:

You don't need to worry about that.  At most, Nintendo would likely just end up paying out some money.  Their lawyers have been pretty good with these lawsuits against them lately, so they could also just win.

Unless opposing counsel wins and they're client doesn't wish to allow Nintendo to continue. I don't believe it will go that far, but it'd be rather surreal to see Nintendo fall from this.

fatslob-:O said:
Azuren said:

What ?! Nintendo's not going out of business just because they have to pay relatively small damage fees (for their size as a corporation) and royalties for every Switch sold in the US ... 

If the prosecutor manages to bar sales of the Switch, then yes; it could very well spell Nintendo's doom. A lot of R&D went into the Switch, and being told to go back to the drawing board so soon could hurt Nintendo so bad they may never recover.

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames