By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Lawsuit filed against Nintendo over Switch’s detachable controllers

I don´t see they winning this. That´s just a control pad where you can fit a tablet. Wikipad is far from the first launched in the market
Different ideas, different devices, different controllers.

Around the Network

Uh oh, these guys might actually have a case ...

Well whatever the ruling is we have to respect the US courts ...

Edit: LOL @ the video comments ... 

twintail said:
Stefan.De.Machtige said:

---

OT: I don't think Nintendo is going to lose this lawsuit .

im pretty confident the lawsuit is because of this:

https://gamevice.com/collections/mobile-console-gaming/products/iphone-street-fighter-bundled-edition

Actually, their lawsuit references a bridge section, indicating it is the U-shaped Wikipad.  They then argue that while the Joy-Cons do not have a bridge, a part of the Switch serves as that bridge.

If this sounds like a stretch, it's because it is.  Because detachable controllers is nowhere near distinct enough of a feature to make a patent violation case.  So they're trying to make a case where virtually none exists.

Reminds me of this

twintail said:
Stefan.De.Machtige said:

---

OT: I don't think Nintendo is going to lose this lawsuit .

im pretty confident the lawsuit is because of this:

https://gamevice.com/collections/mobile-console-gaming/products/iphone-street-fighter-bundled-edition

That seems to be more relevant to a lawsuit.

But still in a fair ruling, i don't see the problem for Nintendo. The NS is really a refining of the Gamepad. Looks at this development stage of the gamepad:

You have motioncontrolled controllers coming together around a screen. NS design goes back to Nintendo's own history.

In the wilderness we go alone with our new knowledge and strength.

Around the Network

I don't know why people in this thread are already downplaying Gamevice so much ...

Are courts NOT supposed to protect the the weak when they have a case ?

fatslob-:O said:
I don't know why people in this thread are already downplaying Gamevice so much ...

Are courts NOT supposed to protect the the weak when they have a case ?

No, they are not supposed to protect ANYONE in a civil case.  They are supposed to rule according to the law.  Being small or weak should not and does not score you any brownie points.  And looking at their suit and their device, I don't see a legitimate case.  I see a shakedown, born out of the fact their company has not been as successful as they hoped.  And THEY'RE the plaintiff.  The one with all the burden of proof is them.  If this was SO important to them, why not file the case last fall?  Or in January?  Why wait until NOW?  I'll tell you why: they know Nintendo has a ton of money tied up in the Switch and can't change the design now.  This is old school intimidation, plain and simple.  We've seen it a million times in this industry.

deskpro2k3 said:
Peh said:

When I google for Wikipad pictures, I get the one in the video... but not the one in the picture in the OP.

The Wikipad 7 looks nothing like the Joycons and doesn't offer the same features. 

doesn't matter what features it has. Example: In 2011 Apple sued Samsung claiming they "copied" the designs of the iPhone because the curves on their phone looks similar, and won.

I think Wikipad might have a case here.

Weren't there something similar back then when nintendo patented the D-Pad for their NES controller? Other companies avoided the patent by simply implementing it slightly differently into their controllers.

https://youtu.be/CnmMDzgTB7o?t=253

I feel that this one is somehow similar. 

Intel Core i7 8700K | 32 GB DDR 4 PC 3200 | ROG STRIX Z370-F Gaming | RTX 3090 FE| Crappy Monitor| HTC Vive Pro :3

So what's next, is the guy who invented the docked tablets going to sue Nintendo too?

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

You know Nintendo have a winner when future stars of bankruptcy court are trying to claim Nintendo copied them.

Aint no one claimed to have come up with the WiiU idea :D

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive