By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sports Discussion - Neymar the most expensive player

Insane money, but it is all relative. I wonder how far that would go if you invested it into an academy and scouts to find the next great players.

I am curious about the knock on effect for Barcelona and who they try to replace him with.

Around the Network
Augen said:

I am curious about the knock on effect for Barcelona and who they try to replace him with.

The rumours I've seen are Coutinho and Dembele (the Dortmnd one).

Hmm, pie.

vivster said:
In before people complaining how someone that "just kicks a ball around" makes more in a day than a nurse in a year.

Well, here I am. Football players are massively overpaid.

BraLoD said:
JEMC said:

I know you're from Brazil and all that, but honestly I fail to see how going to PSG helps Neymar in anything. Sure, he's going to be the nº One player of the team, but given that the French League isn't very strong compared to the major leagues (Spain, German, Italy or England), his chances of being considered the best player of the world range from slim to none.

He'll get rich (or at least his father will), but he'll never reach the status of Messi or CR while in France.

Of course, that's my opinion as someone who doesn't know, or care, much about football.

The point is, even on a weaker team/league (while still a strong one) being the star of the team and not being it makes all the difference.

We would never be picked as best in the world playing in the same team as Messi because at best the attention and acomplishements get shared (usually is Messi's favor as he was already the star of the team before Neymar came and also the guy with the most wins as the best player. Unless Neymar won a World Cup with Brazil he would just never be picked as best player while sharing achievements with Messi. He did lead Brazil to win its first Olympics last year and still couldn't get above Messi.

While playing on PSG, Neymar being the leading force of the team gives him the chance to be the best, because the achievements will be given to him and weight for him. If he makes PSG win a champions league, he'll almost automatically be picked as the best player in the world for that year, that's all it is about, perceived achievements, not just how good you are at it, as he has been better than Messi for a good while already.

I wanted him to go to Bayern back in the day, btw.

I don't think so. Remember when Sneijder with Inter won the Champion's League, and reached the final with Holland in the World Cup? And Messi was still voted the best player. Sneijder wasn't even voted top 3. This is because Messi and Barca were very consistent throughout the whole year, and Sneijder and Inter weren't, as they after the summer break fell down severely in Serie-A hovering around 15th place at the end of the year, while Messi and Barcelona still looked near unbeatable.
Now I don't think there's any chance of that happening for PSG, but people also don't consider the French League as much of an accomplishment or challenge for PSG and Neymar. It'll be all about Champion's League, and even then it may very well not be enough.

If he wanted a better chance and a new challenge, I think he should have picked a Premiere League club. He chose PSG primarily for the money, no doubt, and that may come back to bite him.
Another option would be to succeed Messi in Barca. They left that spot open for him. Messi is 30. I don't think it will be impossible to outshine him while playing on the same team as him for much longer.

LipeJJ said:
mZuzek said:

Oh god, how can someone that just kicks a ball around make this much more in a day than a nurse does in a year? Outrageous stuff.

...no but seriously, these numbers are always depressing to look at. It's like, if I had 0.1% of that, I could live an easy and comfortable life for like, at least a decade, at most a lifetime (if the money was managed well). Instead, well, here I am.

Wouldn't 0.1% of 30m be just $30k? If so, that's not enough for a decade. xD

OP says $263 million, so 0.1% would be something like R$700k. I'd say that's easily enough for a decade and can last much longer if managed with careful thought and planning.

Around the Network
JEMC said:
BraLoD said:

The point is, even on a weaker team/league (while still a strong one) being the star of the team and not being it makes all the difference.

We would never be picked as best in the world playing in the same team as Messi because at best the attention and acomplishements get shared (usually is Messi's favor as he was already the star of the team before Neymar came and also the guy with the most wins as the best player. Unless Neymar won a World Cup with Brazil he would just never be picked as best player while sharing achievements with Messi. He did lead Brazil to win its first Olympics last year and still couldn't get above Messi.

While playing on PSG, Neymar being the leading force of the team gives him the chance to be the best, because the achievements will be given to him and weight for him. If he makes PSG win a champions league, he'll almost automatically be picked as the best player in the world for that year, that's all it is about, perceived achievements, not just how good you are at it, as he has been better than Messi for a good while already.

PSG winning the Champions League would be a feat, with or without Neymar.

And i disagree with you about having more chances to win certain trophies being the nº 1 of a smaller team. Ibra, who's an excellent player, was PSG's nº 1 player for years and didn't even finish in the top 3 Balon d'Or list. I don't see how Neymar will be different than him unless he wins something with his national team (which would make him win the trophy no matter the team he's in) or the CL.

If Neymar wasn't nominated as the best player of 2016 wasn't because he was at Barça with Messi, but because CR won the UEFA Cup/EuroCup or whatever is called, plus the CL, making him the go to player.

Then again, those Balon d'Or or The Best trophies should supposedly go to the best players, not the ones whose teams have won more titles, so...

Ibra just isn't as good as them, that's why. Neither is anyone else.

While Neymar kept in the same team as either Messi or Cristiano, we would just not take it.

My example above was about even achieving better things than Messi and playing better than him on Barca as well we was still behind him (Ronaldo winning over both), but he was still under Messi for no reason other than being on Messi's team and not Neymar's team.

I agree, the better guy should take it, even if playing for a small team in New Zeland or something, but that's not how these things go, you have to be really good, for sure, but in the end achievements, leading roles and impressions are what weight to the result.

Again, as Messi and Ronaldo were so much more in the lightspot by their countined achievements streak being in the same team as them would prevent him from taking it (unless they get an absolute shit season).

Hiku said:
BraLoD said:

I don't think so. Remember when Sneijder with Inter won the Champion's League, and reached the final with Holland in the World Cup? And Messi was still voted the best player. Sneijder wasn't even voted top 3. This is because Messi and Barca were very consistent throughout the whole year, and Sneijder and Inter weren't, as they after the summer break fell down severely in Serie-A hovering around 15th place at the end of the year, while Messi and Barcelona still looked near unbeatable.
Now I don't think there's any chance of that happening for PSG, but people also don't consider the French League as much of an accomplishment or challenge for PSG and Neymar. It'll be all about Champion's League, and even then it may very well not be enough.

If he wanted a better chance and a new challenge, I think he should have picked a Premiere League club. He chose PSG primarily for the money, no doubt, and that may come back to bite him.
Another option would be to succeed Messi in Barca. They left that spot open for him. Messi is 30. I don't think it will be impossible to outshine him while playing on the same team as him for much longer.

Yeah, Neymar would have succeed him but he wasted way too much time under his shadow, he should never have had stepped there to begin with, Bayern was a much better choice for him.

mZuzek said:
LipeJJ said:

Wouldn't 0.1% of 30m be just $30k? If so, that's not enough for a decade. xD

OP says $263 million, so 0.1% would be something like R$700k. I'd say that's easily enough for a decade and can last much longer if managed with careful thought and planning.

Ah, I see, I though it was about another figure. Well, 700k BRL is still not enough for a decade. More like enough for a year at best. xD

Bet with Teeqoz for 2 weeks of avatar and sig control that Super Mario Odyssey would ship more than 7m on its first 2 months. The game shipped 9.07m, so I won

LipeJJ said:
mZuzek said:

Ah, I see, I though it was about another figure. Well, 700k BRL is still not enough for a decade. More like enough for a year at best. xD

It would take me 280 months of my salary to get 700K, more than 500 months for someone that gets paid the mininum wage.

700K in a decade (120 months) would average almost 6K a month, which is A LOT more than most people (like 70% or more) get paid over here.

700K would average almost 60K a month, it's what I would make with two full years in my current job.

700K is more than enough to any person with a small family live in decent conditions for a decade here.

BraLoD said:
LipeJJ said:

It would take me 280 months of my salary to get 700K, more than 500 months for someone that gets paid the mininum wage.

700K in a decade (120 months) would average almost 6K a month, which is A LOT more than most people (like 70% or more) get paid over here.

700K would average almost 60K a month, it's what I would make with two full years in my current job.

700K is more than enough to any person with a small family live in decent conditions for a decade here.

...let alone a single person, which was my point.