By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft CEO: Gaming Business Is More Than 9 Billion Dollars; “Strong Start” for Xbox Game Pass and Mixer

Today Satya Nadella, CEO of Microsoft, mentioned in the financial report that the Xbox brand has positioned itself in a very good way worldwide in different areas and has been able to take advantage of great opportunities presented thanks to the expansion of the video game industry. In that sense, Nadella has stated:

Our gaming business now is more than nine billion dollars and growing profitably. The gaming world is growing faster than ever before from gameplay across multiple devices, to the explosive growth in streaming and esports, to new subscription services and mixed reality scenarios.

We’re uniquely positioned to capture a large share of this opportunity because of our ability to unite the global community of gamers through Xbox Live – now 53 million-strong, and growing – and to enable new experiences across PC, consoles and mobile.

http://wccftech.com/strong-start-xbox-game-pass-mixer/

Satya Nadella usually would not be very vocal about the Xbox brand but lately he seems to be using is voice more.  It looks like their is some real commitment at Microsoft for Xbox and that is good. Where does Xbox's revenue come from? Is it Xbox Live because I dont think much comes from the actual Xbox One console sales. 

Around the Network

As said, without actual numbers its really hard to say if this is just PR talk or if the XOne is performing well.Those Live numbers could be not only from XOne, but from 360 as well, and wherever else you can it subscribed at.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

How many of those 53m are Xbox Live free, and how many are Xbox Live Gold?
And if theres only like 28m Xbox One's out there.... are all the rest just Xbox360 users?

Are they saying that the gaming division is worth 9b to them on the asset sheet here?

I mean having spent 2.5b on Minecraft/Mojang that values the rest of the division at 6.5b or little over 2x the value of Minecraft to Microsoft.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

RolStoppable said:
Nautilus said:
As said, without actual numbers its really hard to say if this is just PR talk or if the XOne is performing well.Those Live numbers could be not only from XOne, but from 360 as well, and wherever else you can it subscribed at.

There's no implication that Xbox One is doing well. There's no emphasis on Xbox consoles either. These are statements that are in line with Microsoft's direction of moving away from consoles.

Agreed.

Ganoncrotch said:
Are they saying that the gaming division is worth 9b to them on the asset sheet here?

I mean having spent 2.5b on Minecraft/Mojang that values the rest of the division at 6.5b or little over 2x the value of Minecraft to Microsoft.

Yea, not sure.  He is being kinda vague about that $9B figure.  But, that's the closest thing I can figure.  Of course, just because they value it at $9B, doesn't mean others would. 

Edit:  Nevermind.  Saw Rol's other post.

Around the Network
JRPGfan said:

And if theres only like 28m Xbox One's out there.... are all the rest just Xbox360 users?

The 53 million number includes free and paid unique accounts on Xbox One, Xbox 360, Windows 10 and Mobile. 

The number is up 8% YoY driven by new software, services and increased XB1 installed base. 

Microsoft's Gaming revenue was $9.1 billion last year. It was down 1% YoY as an increase in software and services revenue was offset by a decline in hardware revenue and unit sales. 

Microsoft's Gaming division is profitable thanks to growth from Xbox Live, Minecraft and other services. Microsoft currently has a few challenges facing them this year. 

1. Retain and grow active users in the ecosystem through new software and services. 

2. Increase Xbox hardware sales through Xbox One S to grow installed base + use Xbox One X to retain installed base. 

3. Grow Windows 10 Gaming business. 

RolStoppable said:
Ganoncrotch said:

The 9b figure is gaming revenue for the fiscal year that recently ended. (Microsoft's fiscal years run from July 1 to June 30.)

Thanks for the post and Thismeintiel for the guess.

(I still have no real clue about it lol, did they really make 9billion in gaming this last year? I'm guessing that has to be Gross cash like... not profit... fuck it I'm lost, going back to inking mother fuckers)

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

ZhugeEX said:
JRPGfan said:

The 53 million number includes free and paid unique accounts on Xbox One, Xbox 360, Windows 10 and Mobile. 

The number is up 8% YoY driven by new software, services and increased XB1 installed base. 

Microsoft's Gaming revenue was $9.1 billion last year. It was down 1% YoY as an increase in software and services revenue was offset by a decline in hardware revenue and unit sales. 

Microsoft's Gaming division is profitable thanks to growth from Xbox Live, Minecraft and other services. Microsoft currently has a few challenges facing them this year. 

1. Retain and grow active users in the ecosystem through new software and services. 

2. Increase Xbox hardware sales through Xbox One S to grow installed base + use Xbox One X to retain installed base. 

3. Grow Windows 10 Gaming business. 

Thanks for the graphs.

AoE remastered might help windows 10 store but i dont see it growing much since they end up putting lots of their games on steam.

I see game pass ads on Facebook all the time but I think it would be a smart move if they'd advertise it in tv and other places. People who haven't gotten an Xbox One and people who just like a good deal would jump on it. As of right now, only hardcore gamers seem to know about the service.

JRPGfan said:

As Zhuge said, the MAU comes from XB1, 360, PC, and mobile. Minecraft Switch also requires Xbox Live login in order play the game online.