By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
gtotheunit91 said:

Apparently Harvest Moon 64 is getting released in Japan on the Expansion Pack but is not coming to the US or Europe??? That's odd. I remember the game having a western release!

That's because of the name. Do you know why the games are now called Story of Seasons outside of Japan?

Around the Network
Kakadu18 said:
gtotheunit91 said:

Apparently Harvest Moon 64 is getting released in Japan on the Expansion Pack but is not coming to the US or Europe??? That's odd. I remember the game having a western release!

That's because of the name. Do you know why the games are now called Story of Seasons outside of Japan?

Ah, I was unaware. What's the story behind it?

gtotheunit91 said:
Kakadu18 said:

The games used to be published in the west by Natsume. They hold the rights to the Harvest Moon name. In Japan they still have the same name.

In 2013 Marvelous decided to publish the games themselves in NA through XSEED and had to change the name because of the licensing. Natsume is now making it's own Harvest Moon games that are basically always inferior to the Marvelous developed games.

There's a shocking amount of people I've seen in the Amazon reviews that have zero clue of this and continue buying Harvest Moon games and hate them and think the whole franchise went to shit (Harvest Moon One World for example) while the actual Bokujo-Monogatari franchise is just releasing under a different name in the west. Thankfully the Story of Seasons games are the ones that actually sell a lot.

Last edited by Kakadu18 - on 14 September 2022

Kakadu18 said:
gtotheunit91 said:

The games used to be published in the west by Natsume. They hold the rights to the Harvest Moon name. In Japan they still have the same name.

In 2013 Marvelous decided to publish the games themselves in NA through XSEED and had to change the name because of the licensing. Natsume is now making it's own Harvest Moon games that are basically always inferior to the Marvelous developed games.

There's a shocking amount of people I've seen in the Amazon reviews that have zero clue of this and continue buying Harvest Moon games and hate them and think the whole franchise went to shit (Harvest Moon One World for example) while the actual Bokujo-Monogatari franchise is just releasing under a different name in the west. Thankfully the Story of Seasons games are the ones that actually sell a lot.

Yep.  That is also why the new remake for A Wonderful Life is now called Story of Seasons: A Wonderful Life instead of Harvest Moon: A Wonderful Life.

What is interesting to me is the old Harvest Moon games were available in the NA eshops for both the Wii U and 3DS.  I can literally go buy Harvest Moon 64 right now on the Wii U.  I wonder what is the hold up here for getting it on the Switch in NA?

Last edited by theRepublic - on 14 September 2022

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

RolStoppable said:
JWeinCom said:

3D World and Mario Kart 8 are I think the only Wii U ports I've bought again. MK8 because it's a multiplayer thing and the scene would be dead on Wii U. 3D World because of Bowser's fury.

I really hate when Nintendo does things like Bowser's Fury or the new Xenoblade DE quest whose name escapes me, and doesn't make it available separately from the main game. Bowser's Fury was really fun, but it sucks that fans who already owned 3D World had to pay 60 bucks to play it. Really no reason it couldn't have been released as a standalone title. It feels like Nintendo is giving the finger to the fans that support them the most.

A bit of a weird reasoning there. I own 3D World on the Wii U and could then play Bowser's Fury for free, because Nintendo was so generous this time around that they made Switch a system that a lot more people want to own. This means there are so many Switch consoles among friends around, that nearly every noteworthy Nintendo title is owned by at least one person. Physical games can be lent and borrowed, so plenty of games that are legal and free. Which reminds me, I should borrow Mario Kart 8 Deluxe again.

But sure, there can be a problem for people who meet at least one of the following requirements:

1. They have no friends who own a Switch console. Increasingly less likely over time.
2. Their friends belong to those idiots who buy games digitally.
3. Their friends have absolutely terrible taste and only buy AAA third party games.

On the off chance this is real, a lot of people would rather own something than borrow it, for reasons so obvious it would feel ridiculous to explain it. There are also people who would rather not lend their games out. I still haven't gotten back my copy of Resident Evil 4 on Gamecube, but I also have a friend's copy of Xenosaga, so I guess the universe is in balance.

It is likely that a significant number of the five million people or so who bought 3D World would be interested in Bowser's Fury, and would prefer to own it. It would have cost Nintendo next to nothing to release Bowser's Fury as a standalone digital title, except for the money they would forego from people who would otherwise repurchase 3D WOrld to play it. It is a purely anti-consumer move that's kind of impossible to defend on any ground besides Nintendo wants to make that skrilla and if you want to own Bowser's Fury you gotta give Wario his coins. If they had released a standalone version, anyone who would rather borrow it can still do so, and the mooch market would be unperturbed. More options is never a bad thing.

Last edited by JWeinCom - on 14 September 2022

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
JWeinCom said:

On the off chance this is real, a lot of people would rather own something than borrow it, for reasons so obvious it would feel ridiculous to explain it. There are also people who would rather not lend their games out. I still haven't gotten back my copy of Resident Evil 4 on Gamecube, but I also have a friend's copy of Xenosaga, so I guess the universe is in balance.

It is likely that a significant number of the five million people or so who bought 3D World would be interested in Bowser's Fury, and would prefer to own it. It would have cost Nintendo next to nothing to release Bowser's Fury as a standalone digital title, except for the money they would forego from people who would otherwise repurchase 3D WOrld to play it. It is a purely anti-consumer move that's kind of impossible to defend on any ground besides Nintendo wants to make that skrilla and if you want to own Bowser's Fury you gotta give Wario his coins. If they had released a standalone version, anyone who would rather borrow it can still do so, and the mooch market would be unperturbed. More options is never a bad thing.

You don't own digital games, hence why you can't lend them to anyone. For those who really want to own it, there's always the used market, in case they don't have any friends who want to part with their copy.

I can explain how more options can be a bad thing based on your proposal of a digital-only standalone release. The people who want to actually own it, still can't do so AND will be upset that Nintendo wants to push people towards digital games with their digital-only policy, which is anti-consumer. But your post isn't about what's pro- or anti-consumer anyway, it's a bad excuse to rant about how Nintendo didn't arrange things to serve you specifically. You are basically saying that you are against the idea of lending and borrowing games, the oldest and simplest way to get access to more free and legal games than what you can or are willing to buy on your own.

When someone says "you are basically saying" you can be assured that what follows will bear no resemblance to what you actually said. No, I did not say I'm against lending, and I don't care at all whether someone wants to lend out their games. I don't know why that needed to be said.

You have not explained anything, you're just being pedantic about the word "own". Owning a digital license to a game comes with certain benefits that borrowing does not have. I think this option should have been available for Bowser's Fury so that people who already owned 3D world could have those benefits without paying for 3D World again. Ideally, I would like it to be available physically as well, but physical production comes with costs, and it might not make sense for the relatively small market of 3D World owners who did not want to double dip, so I don't really blame Nintendo for not making a physical version. On the other hand, releasing a digital version of Bowser's Fury would have cost next to nothing, so there was no reason not to, except to encourage people to double dip.

If Nintendo had released a digital version, any who didn't want to buy that would be in exactly the same position they would have been in otherwise. So, it is not a bad thing for any consumer. Anyone who is upset that other people could choose to buy a game in a format they don't approve of is irrational and stupid. I suppose upsetting irrational stupid people could be considered a bad thing, but that's not what I meant. I meant an actual monetary detriment to a consumer or potential consumer.

Last edited by JWeinCom - on 15 September 2022

JWeinCom said:
RolStoppable said:

You don't own digital games, hence why you can't lend them to anyone. For those who really want to own it, there's always the used market, in case they don't have any friends who want to part with their copy.

I can explain how more options can be a bad thing based on your proposal of a digital-only standalone release. The people who want to actually own it, still can't do so AND will be upset that Nintendo wants to push people towards digital games with their digital-only policy, which is anti-consumer. But your post isn't about what's pro- or anti-consumer anyway, it's a bad excuse to rant about how Nintendo didn't arrange things to serve you specifically. You are basically saying that you are against the idea of lending and borrowing games, the oldest and simplest way to get access to more free and legal games than what you can or are willing to buy on your own.

O_o... this can't be serious. I am saying nothing of the sort. 

Hahahaha. This convo is so dumb.

Played and completed the demo for Harvestella. Was pretty fun! The farming mechanics definitely felt influenced by Stardew Valley, and the combat portions/exploration reminded me a bit of Crystal Chronicles. Definitely interested in getting it now.

As for the rest of the Direct, I enjoyed it. It didn't have anything too ground-shaking, and the Pikmin 4 and TotK trailers were a bit on the dull side, but overall it gave people some nice stuff to look forward too. Definitely excited for GoldenEye and the new Theatrhythm as well. One thing I was surprised wasn't shown though was a new platform for Switch Online. Was pretty confident Game Boy/Color games would be shown, but I guess not.

Kakadu18 said:
JWeinCom said:

O_o... this can't be serious. I am saying nothing of the sort. 

You're not wrong.

JWeinCom said:
Kakadu18 said:

You're not wrong.

Says the main perpetrator.