By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
CaptainExplosion said:

Whoa...

Now I'm sad that the game that became Metroid Prime hasn't been brought back. I'd really like to try playing that mission with the runaway re-engineered mammoth and fight the four armed Luddite thugs.

I feel like people always like games that were cancelled or turned into something else better than things that actually release. Because ideas can be perfect until they have to actually be translated into reality. I think more often than not, first drafts are inferior. This idea in particular doesn't sound as good as what we actually got.

Around the Network

What sounds good on paper isn't necessarily good in practice a case point being the scrapped Tanker escape in MGS2, Kojima said it was a cool idea in theory but when implemented it was nothing more than your typical chase set piece like you see in games like Crash Bandicoot. Some of those project ideas from Retro that got scrapped sound mediocre tbh Miyamoto really turned that project around.

CaptainExplosion said:

I'm still wondering what Retro was doing before they were put back on Metroid Prime 4.

They were doing Prime 4 or effectively what has become Prime 4, the project they were working on was submitted to Nintendo and it was greenlit it to be repurposed as P4 when the game's development was restarted.

Wyrdness said:
CaptainExplosion said:

I'm still wondering what Retro was doing before they were put back on Metroid Prime 4.

They were doing Prime 4 or effectively what has become Prime 4, the project they were working on was submitted to Nintendo and it was greenlit it to be repurposed as P4 when the game's development was restarted.

Where did you get that from?

Kakadu18 said:
Wyrdness said:

Where did you get that from?

It was said alongside the Prime Trilogy rumours, Retro had a project which when P4 had problems they put together a demo as a pitch to take full control of P4.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/retro-studios-reportedly-pitched-a-demo-for-prime-4-themselves-which-nintendo-liked-mpt-port-for-switch-has-been-done-for-a-while-and-more.95732/

Around the Network

I was in the middle of watching Arlo's new video of his favorite Switch games after 5 years, and when it got to the point where Monster Hunter Rise is on his list, he points how incredibly well the online play in that game is. I looked it up and that's because MHR uses Nintendo's new online architecture (NPLN) but.......I saw the list of games that utilize this new system. MHR and Pokémon Legends: Arceus are the ONLY games that are taking advantage of this system. Not even the upcoming Nintendo Switch Sports uses the new online system. It uses the old one (NEX) that we've complained about for years as having terrible connectivity. That's why we get insanely bad online performance in games like Smash Bros Ultimate and the online features in NES, SNES, and N64 Online games.

Nintendo announced this massive overhaul in Feb 2021. The only (beta) they announced before being rolled out was the MHR Demo and that's it. I have no idea why it's taking so long for Nintendo to adopt this online architecture across the board. This would have so much good will amongst the fanbase and make many feel like the baseline NSO subscription would be worth it for online play alone since it would appear Nintendo is using the subscription money to actually improve their online features.

Nintendo has made a statement on the complaint filed last week

CaptainExplosion said:
gtotheunit91 said:

Nintendo has made a statement on the complaint filed last week

Still sounds better than Activision. Maybe we should give Nintendo the benefit of the doubt.

I don't think the response should sway anyone either way. They would say essentially the same thing whether innocent or not.

Jelfonzo in Splatoon 2 has been telling us "Fuck you" since 2017

September 9th is the release date of Splatoon 3!