By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
curl-6 said:

Having played much further into Kirby now, I am in love.

This is one of the most cohesive games I have played in a long time in terms of every little thing down to the transition screens over the minimal load times all merging harmoniously together into a wonderful whole.

From the visuals to the music to the gameplay design, it's all just brilliant. The constant stream of cool new ideas is reminiscent of the best of 3D Mario, and it perfectly translates Kirby's classic identity and charm into the third dimension.

HAL have absolutely hit it out of the park. I thought this would be good, but its blowing my expectations of out the water like a pufferfish that tried to mate with a naval mine.

Honestly, it is one of the most surprisingly good games I've ever played. I've played better games I've expected to be good, but my experience with Kirby has always been bad to average prior to now. I don't get how the same studio could have improved so drastically!

Around the Network
Mar1217 said:

And let's not forget that it is their first mainline 3D game. Once they get their groove going, they may be able to pull off something totally worthy of the best games of all time. I have no doubt about it

That's what makes it all the more impressive, that this is a first attempt. It really doesn't feel like it as it's just so assured, polished, and ingenious.

Mar1217 said:
Dulfite said:

Honestly, it is one of the most surprisingly good games I've ever played. I've played better games I've expected to be good, but my experience with Kirby has always been bad to average prior to now. I don't get how the same studio could have improved so drastically!

I mean, it's the same studio that did Planet Robobot which is widely considered the previous pinnacle of Kirby games. So the hardest job to do here was actually working on the transition to 3D. 

Their passion for the pink ball is insanely strong so it obviously helps the game feel more appreciative because of them. 

And let's not forget that it is their first mainline 3D game. Once they get their groove going, they may be able to pull off something totally worthy of the best games of all time. I have no doubt about it

Wait, what? I mean, I like Robobot as much as the next guy, but better than Superstar Ultra? Nope. 

Mar1217 said:
JWeinCom said:

Wait, what? I mean, I like Robobot as much as the next guy, but better than Superstar Ultra? Nope. 

That'll depend to who you're talkin'. Plenty of peeps would put Robobot over SuperStar Ultra. 

Personally, I agree with it. Simply for the fact that it is in the end simply a more cohesive experience than Super Star because you're experience of the later widely differs depending on how you appreciate the different game mode it has. 

But that's basically just chipping between two great games so I don't mind anyone who prefers one over the other.

I do mind. I will cleanse this world of the blasphemers. 

As for this game, I'm getting an odd feeling similar to what I felt when I was playing Mario Odyssey. I like it, a lot, but for some reason I don't like it as much as I feel like I should. It has more or less everything I would want. The level design is good, controls are sharp, music is slamming, and it even has a modicum of challenge with the time goals on the power focused mini levels. But something's not fully clicking with me, and I have no idea why.

Edit: Played the final boss which helped shift my opinion a bit. It's like if Bayonetta was designed for kids, and I mean that in the best way possible. Probably the best boss in a Kirby game. Nothing comes to mind that's even close. 

Spoiler!

I was feeling a bit let down that was the end of the game, but apparently there is another world post game. The difficulty is amped up here, so it feels like it really should have been the final world, but they made it an extra so that kids could still feel like they've beaten the game. And I'm not complaining. Only played the first level, but liking it so far.

Edit to the Edit: The postgame really ties things up nicely and makes the whole package more satisfying. It's essentially a remix of some older levels, but it actually gets pretty tough. Not like, Dark Souls hard, but probably harder than most recent Mario games. 

Having finished pretty much everything it's a really good game. The only real complaint is that I think there should have been a teensy bit more. A couple more abilities would really flesh things out, and by the middle of the game you've pretty much seen every mouthful, so a few more of those would be nice. Would be great if this gets some post game content like Star Allies did, but while that game really needed it, this one is still worth buying even if nothing is added.

Last edited by JWeinCom - on 29 March 2022

FY report is tomorrow.

Around the Network

Fingers crossed for Super Mario RPG!

https://comicbook.com/gaming/news/nintendo-switch-online-membership-games-nes-snes-rumor/

gtotheunit91 said:

https://comicbook.com/gaming/news/nintendo-switch-online-membership-games-nes-snes-rumor/

No. You will play Mappy Land and you'll like it!

JWeinCom said:
gtotheunit91 said:

No. You will play Mappy Land and you'll like it!

Yes Nintendo ?

Gameboy will have to wait. They are almost done porting all 22 games from the virtual boy.