By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
IcaroRibeiro said:
sundin13 said:

What do people around here do for voice chat + game audio?

We play MH World instead :p 

Joking. There is a app you can download to use voice chat, but I hate it. I use discord chat rooms when playing Splatoon and overall it works better, I find the idea of using another app to do something Switch should do by itself is annoying but I can't think something better 

We've played a bunch of World, but we were looking for a new game so we chose Rise :)

So, do you just wear headphones over one ear and play TV sound? Like, even with the app, you don't get game sound through headphones so it seems like any solution is going to be wicked clunky. 

Around the Network
sundin13 said:
IcaroRibeiro said:

We play MH World instead :p 

Joking. There is a app you can download to use voice chat, but I hate it. I use discord chat rooms when playing Splatoon and overall it works better, I find the idea of using another app to do something Switch should do by itself is annoying but I can't think something better 

We've played a bunch of World, but we were looking for a new game so we chose Rise :)

So, do you just wear headphones over one ear and play TV sound? Like, even with the app, you don't get game sound through headphones so it seems like any solution is going to be wicked clunky. 

I usually plug my headphones to my discord device (generally a smartphone, but can be a PC) and yes I use TV sound (or Switch sound if I'm playing portable). I agree it's a bit clunky because you indeed don't get the same gaming audio, but it's honestly not that bad. My main grip is the inconvenience to keep both devices working, can be very distracting in competition games (MK8D, Splatoon, etc)

CaptainExplosion said:
sundin13 said:

So, I'm planning on starting Monster Hunter Rise with a friend, but I just remembered that the Switch doesn't have proper voice chat (what the fuck, Nintendo). What do people around here do for voice chat + game audio?

Voice chat's overrated. From what I've heard, with voice chat you get mostly foul-mouthed brats and other assorted assholes.

I mean, I'm trying to chat with my friends, so...

CaptainExplosion said:
sundin13 said:

I mean, I'm trying to chat with my friends, so...

And I get that, but there are alternatives. Not to sound like an out of touch gaming executive, but do you and your friends have phones?

Yes, but there is no good option for game sound + voice chat. 

The plan now is to use discord on our phones and TV sound with my headset half hanging off my head, but that solution kind of sucks. Like, online gaming isn't a new concept, why does Nintendo still suck so hard at this? We shouldn't have to wrangle a second app on our phones and still have to deal with a voice chat experience that is worse than the simple default on other consoles.

sundin13 said:
CaptainExplosion said:

And I get that, but there are alternatives. Not to sound like an out of touch gaming executive, but do you and your friends have phones?

The plan now is to use discord on our phones and TV sound with my headset half hanging off my head, but that solution kind of sucks. Like, online gaming isn't a new concept, why does Nintendo still suck so hard at this? We shouldn't have to wrangle a second app on our phones and still have to deal with a voice chat experience that is worse than the simple default on other consoles.

MH Rise isn't a Nintendo game so the ball is in Capcom's court on this one, no idea why they thought the game shouldn't support voice chat.

Anyway, if it's awkward having your headset half on, try the phone on loudspeaker, that works for my brother.

Around the Network

So, still no word on this direct that's supposedly going to happen. Still time since they usually announce a day or so in advance, but if it doesn't happen, those leakers will have some real egg on their face, since this would be the first time in about 5 years they didn't have a September direct. Hoping there will be one on Tuesday (my birthday) although they genuinely don't do them on Tuesdays. But, if you're listening, it'd be cool if you did Nintendo.

Nintendo hired someone in Mexico to promote Metroid Damn Dread on the streets, no less. I had the pleasure to see publicity of the Switch itself in Mexico City, but this is on a whole new level. Had you told me in 2015 they were going to someday do this, I would've laughed at you. 

Now I only need cheaper prices... 

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

curl-6 said:
sundin13 said:

MH Rise isn't a Nintendo game so the ball is in Capcom's court on this one, no idea why they thought the game shouldn't support voice chat.

Anyway, if it's awkward having your headset half on, try the phone on loudspeaker, that works for my brother.

While it is an option for games to do it themselves, this is something that should be done on the system side like it is with other modern consoles. Also, the Switch controller design makes voice chat more difficult by tying the headphone jack to the physical console instead of the controller (there is no excuse for the Pro Controller to not have a headphone jack).

After playing a bit tonight, I can live with the setup I'm working with, but again, there is no reason it needs to be this difficult. 

sundin13 said:
curl-6 said:

While it is an option for games to do it themselves, this is something that should be done on the system side like it is with other modern consoles. Also, the Switch controller design makes voice chat more difficult by tying the headphone jack to the physical console instead of the controller (there is no excuse for the Pro Controller to not have a headphone jack).

After playing a bit tonight, I can live with the setup I'm working with, but again, there is no reason it needs to be this difficult. 

Oh I agree there should be system level chat and it shouldn't be this complicated, I'm just saying not including chat in the game was ultimately up to Capcom, other Switch games have chat. Glad you've found a solution that works for you.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 18 September 2021

Metallox said:

Nintendo hired someone in Mexico to promote Metroid Damn Dread on the streets, no less. I had the pleasure to see publicity of the Switch itself in Mexico City, but this is on a whole new level. Had you told me in 2015 they were going to someday do this, I would've laughed at you. 

Now I only need cheaper prices... 

This game better fucking sell, I swear ...