By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

I still wish Nintendo did a new shooter using the Splatoon 3 engine as a base.

Around the Network

New content looking sweet. They promised big updates every three months. Next one should be in March.

I cancelled my pre-order of Pokemon Scarlet. I thought Pokemon Legends was the norm now, so I was really excited. I didnt even watch much of the trailers until recently. So yeah, Scarlet/Violet looks like a big step backwards imo. Ill just hope for a Legends 2.

KLXVER said:

I cancelled my pre-order of Pokemon Scarlet. I thought Pokemon Legends was the norm now, so I was really excited. I didnt even watch much of the trailers until recently. So yeah, Scarlet/Violet looks like a big step backwards imo. Ill just hope for a Legends 2.

What lol

Legends was never going to be the norm, its just a spinoff like the Mystery Dungeon, Stadium, Snap, etc.

Finished up with Xenoblade 3 and Bayonetta 3.

Have mixed feelings on Xenoblade. It has a good story, likeable characters, and a fairly engaging battle system. There's a lot of room for customization, although I never felt the need to really dive deep, but maybe I just needed to turn the difficulty up.

My problem was that this was a long game. Took me about 100 hours. And, it's not a very tight experience. There's just a lot of stuff that could have been cut. Fetch quests with one too many legs, repetitive dialogue, etc etc. It's not that I wasn't enjoying the game for the most part, but I don't have enough time to play all the games I want, and I feel like I could have gotten the same amount of enjoyment in less time if they condensed things a bit.

Bayonetta 3 is a great game and likely my GOTY so far. What I like about it is that it does a good job giving more of what you want from Bayonetta, but also change things up just enough to make this feel different from the other games. There is a demon summoning system that sort of evokes Astral Chain a bit. The new weapons are pretty unique from what has been in the series before. There is also a fun little 2d sidequest and a new playable character. Usually I don't like my playtime being split between characters in a game like this, but I found Viola endearing, and her gameplay was just different enough.

As for the story, it's a flimsy excuse to give you lots of fan service.

********spoilers ahead*******

For comic fans who've read spiderverse (not the movie which is different) it's kind of a really similar story. It's an excuse to give you lots of wacky Bayonettas, and I'm for it. It's not a great story by any means, but that's not what I'm playing for.

Lots of people complaining about the ending, and their complaints are well founded for the most part. Bayonetta and Luka dying together seemed an odd beat to end on, considering how much of the story, and this game, focused on Bayonetta and Jeane, which felt like a stronger relationship. They're doing the replace the main character with a successor thing, which never really works. It might have rubbed me the wrong way, but as a comic book fan, I've learned not to get upset about these things, and just enjoy the ride till they bring the OG character back.

What I don't like is simply that the ending is kind of a major bummer. Nothing wrong with a hero sacrificing themself for the world ending, but with Bayonetta I just kind of want her to kick ass and be awesome and save the day and continue being awesome. That being said, the downer ending didn't really ruin the experience for me as it may have in another game, say Mass Effect 3, because that's just not what I'm playing the series for.

So, for anyone who cares, that's my opinion on those two games.

Around the Network
BasilZero said:
KLXVER said:

What lol

Legends was never going to be the norm, its just a spinoff like the Mystery Dungeon, Stadium, Snap, etc.

Well thats a shame. By far the best Pokemon game Ive ever played.

I'm sort of on the opposite end where Legends seemed like a breath of fresh air, and still kind of is in some respects, but wore out its welcome by the time I finished the game. It became far too repetitive and there really wasn't that much to the game besides filling the Pokedex by spam-catching the same Pokemon over and over. I'm glad S/V aren't going down that same route, but hopefully some of the QoL elements from Legends are taken into account.

Raven said:

I'm sort of on the opposite end where Legends seemed like a breath of fresh air, and still kind of is in some respects, but wore out its welcome by the time I finished the game. It became far too repetitive and there really wasn't that much to the game besides filling the Pokedex by spam-catching the same Pokemon over and over. I'm glad S/V aren't going down that same route, but hopefully some of the QoL elements from Legends are taken into account.

Right? I liked a lot of what the game had to offer but I was already bored of it before I even finished the first area. I do think the things it got right (The open world exploration, the freedom, etc) are looking like they're carrying forward to Scarlet and Violet, so that's nice. I also hope we see crafting in Scarlet and Violet. Point is, Legends had some great ideas but man just spamming the capture mechanic and stuff really had me bored quickly. 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Engage looks like a huge downgrade from Three Houses in story, characters and setting 

It's not confirmed to have multiple routes, so I'm expecting to be a downgrade in replayability as well, but I'm waiting to see if choices affect unlocking some characters and showing details of the story 

Graphics seems to be an improvement. Almost nothing was revealed about the gameplay, but I'm not a fan of the gimmick of using old characters to fight

So far I'm feeling this to be a very lukewarm game unfortunately, similar to how Fates feels after Awakening

Hmm..

This almost sounds too good to be true.