By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
CaptainExplosion said:

I saw it and liked it a lot, what do you haters have to say to that?

What I have to say is, that's your opinion, and you're as entitled to it as anyone else is to theirs.

I just came back from the theater and honestly, I thought it was the cringiest shit. I haven't seen Minions, but I imagine it's basically the same quality of movie as this, only this has the Mario IP slapped on it. And in all fairness, they mostly did the Mario IP justice. But as a movie, it's not good. Characters are poorly written, some of them to the extent that it takes you out of the movie, the story is basically Mario Odyssey but worse, the movie keeps going for cheap laughs all the time but the humor consistently falls flat. It's not the worst movie I've seen but a very solid 4/10.

Around the Network
mZuzek said:
CaptainExplosion said:

Audience scores matter more because they're the ones most movies are made for, not stuck up art house snobs who only appreciate pretentious European movies that nobody else will see.

Some of the highest rated movies of the past year on RT are John Wick, Puss in Boots, and Top Gun. Not exactly my definition of "pretentious art house European movies that nobody else will see".

Funny enough, none of these franchises are known for having incredibly deep and complex plots.

They rated John Wick 4 highly? I enjoyed some of the action but that was not a particularly well written or acted movie. Nice cinematography but that should only take you so far.

psychicscubadiver said:
mZuzek said:

Some of the highest rated movies of the past year on RT are John Wick, Puss in Boots, and Top Gun. Not exactly my definition of "pretentious art house European movies that nobody else will see".

Funny enough, none of these franchises are known for having incredibly deep and complex plots.

They rated John Wick 4 highly? I enjoyed some of the action but that was not a particularly well written or acted movie. Nice cinematography but that should only take you so far.

As evidenced by Star Wars The Last Jedi, good cinematography takes you very far when it comes to critic scores. I guess it's the movie equivalent of having good gameplay, or whatever. Personally I give more value to better scripts, but at least they have a somewhat consistent criteria I suppose.

Spoiler!
I was only a little disappointed that they didn't make the movie a bit longer so that we could get more insight into the different locales Mario, Peach and Toad crossed before getting to the Jungle Kingdom, or to the underwater scenes.

CaptainExplosion said:
Spoiler!
I was only a little disappointed that they didn't make the movie a bit longer so that we could get more insight into the different locales Mario, Peach and Toad crossed before getting to the Jungle Kingdom, or to the underwater scenes.

Yeah, it moves a bit fast, which is probably great for kids, but I wanted the movie to slow down a bit at times personally.

Around the Network
KLXVER said:
CaptainExplosion said:
Spoiler!

Yeah, it moves a bit fast, which is probably great for kids, but I wanted the movie to slow down a bit at times personally.

I also was hoping they'd cast someone else for Cranky Kong, but my only casting choice for him was Gilbert Gottfried and now he's gone. -_-

Going to try out this combination in-game (well, at least two of those objects because I don't think you can combine three).

I wonder if there's a limit on what you can combine.

Link_Nines.XBC said:

Going to try out this combination in-game (well, at least two of those objects because I don't think you can combine three).

I wonder if there's a limit on what you can combine.

Henry Cavill as Link. XD

psychicscubadiver said:
mZuzek said:

Well I heavily disagree with you there. It has very solidly acted and the writing was remarkably good with some beautifully philosophical and thoughtful scenes like the one where they were talking about what they wanted to have written on their gravestones. The ending brought me to tears. Appart from that many critics rated the movie highly because the final hour of the movie is seemingly widely considered to have some of the best action scenes ever made. And I agree with that.

From what I've read the difference between the Mario movie and John Wick is that in the Mario movie the characters lack depth and actual character. That is not the case in John Wick: Chapter 4.

Last edited by Kakadu18 - on 07 April 2023

Today is the last day of Wave 2 for the Mar10 day sale. Mario Kart 8, Super Mario Odyssey, New Super Mario Bros U Deluxe, Super Mario Maker 2, and Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury are all marked down to $40.

I grabbed the physical version of Odyssey, and I also threw in Metroid Prime Remastered to get free shipping. Also cashed in a bunch of Platinum points for some free merch since I already had the free shipping.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)