By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Club Nintendo: eShop Charts 12/26, NA 2020 Playtime Report

2020 in the end wasn't that bad wrt to game purchases, I spent less than 2017 and 2019 but way more than 2018.



@Twitter | Switch | Steam

You say tomato, I say tomato 

"¡Viva la Ñ!"

Around the Network
TomaTito said:

2020 in the end wasn't that bad wrt to game purchases, I spent less than 2017 and 2019 but way more than 2018.

I actually bought more games this year than 2017, but the average quality was definitely higher in that year's lineup. Still, this year beat the stuffing out of 2018 for me too.



Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

Finished Luigis Mansion 3 yesterday.

Those cat segments really drag the game down.



Marth said:

Finished Luigis Mansion 3 yesterday.

Those cat segments really drag the game down.

Same, but catching that damn cat is so satisfying afterwards. ^^



curl-6 said:
TomaTito said:

2020 in the end wasn't that bad wrt to game purchases, I spent less than 2017 and 2019 but way more than 2018.

I actually bought more games this year than 2017, but the average quality was definitely higher in that year's lineup. Still, this year beat the stuffing out of 2018 for me too.

Hate to be that guy but, it's honestly unacceptable Nintendo had such a bad year with such a breakout console. 



Around the Network
AngryLittleAlchemist said:
curl-6 said:

I actually bought more games this year than 2017, but the average quality was definitely higher in that year's lineup. Still, this year beat the stuffing out of 2018 for me too.

Hate to be that guy but, it's honestly unacceptable Nintendo had such a bad year with such a breakout console. 

The DS's peak years didn't have stellar first party output either, but to be clear, the point I am making is that the quality and quantity of first party software don't directly correlate with hardware sales in any given year.

I understand your post as "Nintendo got so much sales with the little they put out this year. Shameful."

Nintendo spent the three years before 2020 building a strong game library and attractive platform for countless third party developers, and then reaped the rewards for it. The Switch lineup as a whole has people say that it actually doesn't matter much that Nintendo had a rather low-key year (2020 might have seen the release of four games to sell 5m+ lifetime). It was like that for the DS too.

The difference is that Switch is now Nintendo's only console, so instead of having three years like the DS (2007-2009) which didn't provide much new first party-wise, it's just going to be 2020 for Switch.

In any case though, there will always be ups and downs in terms of first party support. Not every year will be equally great. Given how 2020 turned out, it would be shocking if 2021 were worse than that.



Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

A Biased Review Reloaded / Open Your Eyes / Switch Gamers Club

RolStoppable said:
AngryLittleAlchemist said:

Hate to be that guy but, it's honestly unacceptable Nintendo had such a bad year with such a breakout console. 

The DS's peak years didn't have stellar first party output either, but to be clear, the point I am making is that the quality and quantity of first party software don't directly correlate with hardware sales in any given year.

I understand your post as "Nintendo got so much sales with the little they put out this year. Shameful."

Nintendo spent the three years before 2020 building a strong game library and attractive platform for countless third party developers, and then reaped the rewards for it. The Switch lineup as a whole has people say that it actually doesn't matter much that Nintendo had a rather low-key year (2020 might have seen the release of four games to sell 5m+ lifetime). It was like that for the DS too.

The difference is that Switch is now Nintendo's only console, so instead of having three years like the DS (2007-2009) which didn't provide much new first party-wise, it's just going to be 2020 for Switch.

In any case though, there will always be ups and downs in terms of first party support. Not every year will be equally great. Given how 2020 turned out, it would be shocking if 2021 were worse than that.

@bold no, that's not actually what I meant. I think the sales the Switch got that year are actually fair, I mean it's not like the output consoles with similar sales  at that point in their life were much better. Besides, Nintendo had to bump down their forecast by 3 million, then even missed their new forecast by 100k. That year only ended up shipping less than the first year or slightly above it or something?  That was cause they literally *couldn't* ship more units, of course, but you wouldn't catch me being salty over that performance either. I actually thought the performance over the first year was better than I thought it was, I don't know if I'm missing something but apparently it actually sold less than the first year? 

Simply stating that, for my tastes, it was a pretty unacceptable year in terms of output, I would have wanted a company that obviously believed in their product enough to put two separate markets on the line all at once to have better output, but I know that's not really realistic. But hey, I already had a Switch at that point  



For financial reasons I haven't bought as many Switch games this year, so I've made a longer than normal Christmas list to include certain games and an eShop card. I'll do the same for my birthday in about 6 months too.



AngryLittleAlchemist said:
curl-6 said:

I actually bought more games this year than 2017, but the average quality was definitely higher in that year's lineup. Still, this year beat the stuffing out of 2018 for me too.

Hate to be that guy but, it's honestly unacceptable Nintendo had such a bad year with such a breakout console. 

Their first party output this year definitely wasn't good enough, Age of Calamity was the only game worth buying from them all year for me.

Thankfully, third parties kinda saved the year for me and now I'm actually backed up as I still have Ori and the Will of the Wisps and Sniper Elite 4 on the shelf, and Immortals and Doom Eternal about to release, and I still haven't finished AoC.

I kinda wish these games had been spread more evenly throughout the year instead of all packed into the final 4 months.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 01 December 2020

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

AngryLittleAlchemist said:

@bold no, that's not actually what I meant. I think the sales the Switch got that year are actually fair, I mean it's not like the output consoles with similar sales  at that point in their life were much better. Besides, Nintendo had to bump down their forecast by 3 million, then even missed their new forecast by 100k. That year only ended up shipping less than the first year or slightly above it or something?  That was cause they literally *couldn't* ship more units, of course, but you wouldn't catch me being salty over that performance either. I actually thought the performance over the first year was better than I thought it was, I don't know if I'm missing something but apparently it actually sold less than the first year? 

Simply stating that, for my tastes, it was a pretty unacceptable year in terms of output, I would have wanted a company that obviously believed in their product enough to put two separate markets on the line all at once to have better output, but I know that's not really realistic. But hey, I already had a Switch at that point  

Now I realize that you meant 2018 and not 2020.

2018 was the Smash Bros. year and everyone knows that Smash is trash. Anyway, we've gone over 2018 so often already, no need to talk about it in depth again.



Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

A Biased Review Reloaded / Open Your Eyes / Switch Gamers Club