By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Club Nintendo: Pokemon Crown Tundra out now! Upcoming Patch for 3D-All Stars! UK Black Friday Bundles Revealed!

mZuzek said:
curl-6 said:

I wouldn't say Odyssey does any less new than 3D World, Sunshine, Galaxy 2, or any 2D Mario since World.

Me either.

I mean it's obvious why it doesn't get discussed as much as BOTW, my point was only ever that I'm surprised a game of its quality doesn't seem to get much attention at all outside of raw sales. On forums it's not discussed or even mentioned nearly as much as I'd expect for a game of such excellence.

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

Around the Network

The long-awaited patch for The Outer Worlds on Switch arrives 21st October

https://gonintendo.com/stories/370959-the-outer-worlds-patch-hits-switch-on-oct-21st-comparison-shots

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

The top part definitely looks different, the bottom is a bit harder at first glance. Once you look deeper though you can see some nice refined details and changes.

Raven said:
The top part definitely looks different, the bottom is a bit harder at first glance. Once you look deeper though you can see some nice refined details and changes.

Yeah with the bottom is mostly things like the air conditioners or whatever they are on top of the buildings and the pipes on the side of the right one, and on the far right what looks to be a whole building or at least the top floor of one that was missing pre-patch.

Honestly, I'm fine with upgraded details but my main concern is the framerate; so long as we get a decent boost over the rather choppy original build, I'll be satisfied.

Sorry if I said this before, but I don't remember anyone responding.

Am I the only one who wishes there were action figures of every Smash Bros. fighter who doesn't currently have or has never had an action figure of themselves?

I've been able to fill empty spots in my Smash Bros. collection with Amiibo of Game and Watch, Ice Climbers, Duck Hunt and R.O.B., but only because they looked in scale with action figures I had like S.H. Figuarts Luigi or Figma Samus Aran.

Around the Network

Mario Kart Live: Home Circuit has arrived on our doorstep, a few days late due to postage and the weekend.
My little brother is unpacking it now, (it's his birthday present) once he's played it I'll see if I can have a go and post impressions.

AngryLittleAlchemist said:
curl-6 said:

I mean, just last night I was playing Metro Kingdom and found that possessing a parked taxi took me to a hidden zone where you battle and possess tanks, collapsing girders to create bridges, in a storm. Can't think of anything that cool in 3D World.

I mean, that sounds about as inherently interesting as using a motorcycle to outrun a T-Rex. Yet, that moment in Odyssey is one of the biggest disappointments, and that's even on top of the dopamine you get from finding a secret mission like that. It's so bland, so poorly done and just ends up being super pedestrian. 

This was an interesting conversation to read. On one hand, curl-6 who disqualifies everything that isn't a big 3D world from being an ambitious game. On the other hand, ALA who dislikes curl-6's interpretation of 'ambitious' and would rather call it "huge like an ocean, shallow like a puddle."

noname2200 said:
I wonder if part of the reason why Odyssey isn't mentioned as often as Breath on gaming forums is that most bloggers/developers/etc are just generally much more interested in open world RPG/sandbox/etc games right now, with 3D platformers largely on the wayside?

Also, in fairness, Breath did some things that aren't generally seen in open world games, while Odyssey is a (much, much better!) version of Space Station Silicon Valley. Admittedly, I doubt most people played the latter, so that could be completely off track.

Correct, Nintendo pretty much owns the 3D platformer genre. It's taken for granted that nobody else comes close to Mario because there's nobody willing to spend AAA money on it. Meanwhile, there's an abundance of AAA open world games, so constant comparisons are inevitable and makes it much easier for BotW to be talked about regularly.

Also, nice try likening Odyssey to Space Station Silicon Valley. "Much better version" really means a different game altogether. You know that you were reliant on using "transformations" in SSSV all the time because wandering around as plain chip depleted your health. The equivalent of the chip would be Mario in Odyssey, and unsurprisingly, Mario can do a lot more than walk around.

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

A Biased Review Reloaded / Open Your Eyes / Switch Gamers Club

Have to say that, having spent over 750 hours on Animal Crossing, my game of the year is

Spoiler!
Hades

OTBWY said:

Have to say that, having spent over 750 hours on Animal Crossing, my game of the year is

Spoiler!
Hades

Your island must be nice, bother sharing your dream code?

curl-6 said:
Mario Kart Live: Home Circuit has arrived on our doorstep, a few days late due to postage and the weekend.
My little brother is unpacking it now, (it's his birthday present) once he's played it I'll see if I can have a go and post impressions.

I so wish I had a child, and a big enough house to enjoy this.

Not judging anyone who can still enjoy stuff like this at an older age, but for me personally, I think this would be like Labo where I bought it because it seemed like such a neat idea and quickly got bored with it. But, if I had a child to play it with (and again an adequate living space) I think this would be a blast for me.