By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Club Nintendo: Pokemon Crown Tundra out now! Upcoming Patch for 3D-All Stars! UK Black Friday Bundles Revealed!

CaptainExplosion said:
Wyrdness said:
Second quarter results should be in two weeks.

Think they'll be good?

It would be shocking if they weren't at this point

Around the Network

Man, I fired up Mario Odyssey for the first time in ages just to casually hunt for Moons I missed, and it blows me away how overlooked this game is relative to its stellar quality.

Maybe it was the BOTW effect, where that was the game that hogged the limelight through 2017, but this game really doesn't get the credit it deserves, it's so wonderfully imaginative, varied, charming, and most importantly fun. Easily one of my top ten games of the 2010s.

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

Finally a Super Nintendo World has shown a non-Mario Nintendo character.

Hopefully this means the park will showcase other Nintendo IPs. I want an F-Zero roller coaster and a Metroid shooting gallery!!

curl-6 said:

Man, I fired up Mario Odyssey for the first time in ages just to casually hunt for Moons I missed, and it blows me away how overlooked this game is relative to its stellar quality.

Maybe it was the BOTW effect, where that was the game that hogged the limelight through 2017, but this game really doesn't get the credit it deserves, it's so wonderfully imaginative, varied, charming, and most importantly fun. Easily one of my top ten games of the 2010s.

Overlooked? How so? It's the top selling 3D Mario of all time and one of the best reviewed games of all time and is still selling all the time. Mario Odyssey is a beast and an amazing experience from top to bottom. 

Runa216 said:
curl-6 said:

Overlooked? How so? It's the top selling 3D Mario of all time and one of the best reviewed games of all time and is still selling all the time. Mario Odyssey is a beast and an amazing experience from top to bottom. 

I didn't mean in terms of sales, more that it hardly ever gets talked about relative to its quality, usually games this great generate way more discussion and mentions.

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
Runa216 said:

I didn't mean in terms of sales, more that it hardly ever gets talked about relative to its quality, usually games this great generate way more discussion and mentions.

I think it partially has to do with the fact that Mario tends to be the more "mainstream" of Nintendo's IPs, so there's more of a balance between forum-goers, families, and non-hardcore gaming fans that enjoy the series than stuff like Zelda or Metroid. Odyssey is a great game though, I enjoyed it the whole way through. Can't wait for 3DW + Bowser's Fury at this point, that should be a blast.

Raven said:
curl-6 said:

I think it partially has to do with the fact that Mario tends to be the more "mainstream" of Nintendo's IPs, so there's more of a balance between forum-goers, families, and non-hardcore gaming fans that enjoy the series than stuff like Zelda or Metroid. Odyssey is a great game though, I enjoyed it the whole way through. Can't wait for 3DW + Bowser's Fury at this point, that should be a blast.

Yeah, it should. ^^ Still wish we got a new Wario game on Switch.

curl-6 said:
Runa216 said:

Maybe it's not that great then  

TRUST ME, when 3D World + Bowser's Fury launches though ... 

It's going to be YHUGE!!! 

AngryLittleAlchemist said:
curl-6 said:

Maybe it's not that great then  

TRUST ME, when 3D World + Bowser's Fury launches though ... 

It's going to be YHUGE!!! 

3D World's a good game, but not in the same league as Odyssey. It's multiplayer focus means its level design, while elegant, is also rather simplistic and lacks the variety of depth of Odyssey.

I don't think you're wrong on it being overlooked, when I hear people talking about Mario games it's usually Galaxy 1/2 or 64. Even Sunshine seems to get talked about more, while Odyssey just gets kinda forgotten about, even if everyone loved it back when it came out.

Edit: conversely, I don't think BotW had that effect at all. It's still talked about regularly, people still wanna play it and still reference it when talking about other games. "This is like BotW", "that's something BotW was better/worse at", stuff like that. Never hear that sort of thing about Odyssey. But maybe that's just the people I talk to.