By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
IcaroRibeiro said:
mZuzek said:

There's still no servers, it's all P2P. I haven't had too many matches end by disconnects, but pretty much every match is a complete lagfest, it's insane. Also takes ridiculously long to get in a match to begin with.

Still having fun though.

I'm not. Half of the maps are reused Splatoon 2 and the new maps are straight up bad. I feel aiming is more sensitive to motion controls than what it used to and without enough matches I can't get myself mastering the correct joycon tilt to aim. 

But my main complain is for sure the multiplayer, a huge amount of time to find a match and 3 out of 4 just disconnect before the first 30 seconds. Frustrating experience. 

Everyone's experience is different, but I think I've had about 4 disconnects in somehwere between 50-100 matches. 

I'm not going to argue that Nintendo's online is good, because it's not, but I think this is a big improvement over Splatoon 2. In that one I would frequently have games where one person dropped on my team. So, I had to play the whole match at a disadvantage and inevitably lose, which is worse than the match ending early. Or, someone on their team would drop which is almost a free win. A free win is better than a free loss, but neither is very much fun.

As for the amount of content, I more or less agree. Maybe the single player mode will make things better, but this feels somewhere between DLC and a sequel. Too much content to call it glorified DLC, but not enough to call it a new game. But to be fair, that's kind of par for the course for this kind of game. And, Nintendo has been good at updates with this franchise.

My biggest issue is the lack of a ranking in turf war mode. It sometimes feels that my individual skill is irrelevant. Alot of matches where I'm playing great and still lose. Which is inherent in a team game of course, but it's made worse because it seems that player skill, experience, playtime, or w/e has nothing to do with matchmaking. Of course, I could and sometimes do play ranked matches, but I really like Turf wars the best out of the game modes, as it seems to be the one the game was really built around. Dunno why that couldn't be in the ranked mode rotation.

Around the Network
mZuzek said:
IcaroRibeiro said:

Ok so instead of half it's 40%. Does it make it better ?

It makes you wrong is what I'm saying. Also, what did you expect? Splatoon 2 also reused a ton of stages from the first game, and there's more new stages (as well as returning ones) on the way. It's just the way the series operates.

I didn't know some of maps in the second game were presented in the first game, Splatoon 2 was my first Splatoon game, so to all accounts all stages were brand new to me. I wasn't expecting so many of them to be presented again in a new game

Also no new ranked mode aside of the previous 4... not that I've played any yet, still not managed to get to level 10 but still feeling like I paid for mostly the same game again. Only thing that are spicing things a bit are the new specials

Kakadu18 said:

30%. And the updates will bring more stages, likely new ones too. Does it having some Splatoon 2 stages make the game less fun?

40% if we count 1+2

humm

In my case, yes it does. I have like 350 hours on them already. My saving grace is: I'm not playing Splatoon for a while now (one year), so maybe I won't get bored fast

JWeinCom said:

I'm not going to argue that Nintendo's online is good, because it's not, but I think this is a big improvement over Splatoon 2. In that one I would frequently have games where one person dropped on my team. So, I had to play the whole match at a disadvantage and inevitably lose, which is worse than the match ending early. Or, someone on their team would drop which is almost a free win. A free win is better than a free loss, but neither is very much fun.

Well when the options are to play in disadvantage or not playing I will easily take the first. If the game is P2P is expected players closer to each other to have better and more stable matches, which unfortunately shouldn't be the case for me or mZukek

As for the unbalanced Turf War, this used to annoy me when I started. Splatoon multiplayer is not very newbie friendly, I remember how painful was for me to yet the first 20 levels when I've played Splatoon 2. Currently the people on turf war must be hard core gamers, but once more casuals came in matches will start to be a bit easier. 

But yes, I understand your feelings. That's why after a couple of months I entered on ranked and almost never went back to Turf war. It's nice to have players on the same level of you 

Last edited by IcaroRibeiro - on 13 September 2022

IcaroRibeiro said:
JWeinCom said:

Well when the options are to play in disadvantage or not playing I will easily take the first. If the game is P2P is expected players closer to each other to have better and more stable matches, which unfortunately shouldn't be the case for me or mZukek

As for the unbalanced Turf War, this used to annoy me when I started. Splatoon multiplayer is not very newbie friendly, I remember how painful was for me to yet the first 20 levels when I've played Splatoon 2. Currently the people on turf war must be hard core gamers, but once more casuals came in matches will start to be a bit easier. 

But yes, I understand your feelings. That's why after a couple of months I entered on ranked and almost never went back to Turf war. It's nice to have players on the same level of you 

I would much rather just have the match close out than play at a disadvantage. It's not very fun to play and even if you're on the OP side, it's not very satisfying. And, I care about winning probably more than I should, so it's frustrating to take an undeserved loss and to have my freshness go down. 

Around the Network

Wonder if we'll get a release date for Advance Wars Reboot Camp. People have a short memory, so a lot of people probably don't care about the Ukraine war anymore. And even for those who are still keeping up with it, the way things are going puts things in a different light.

mZuzek said:
IcaroRibeiro said:

I didn't know some of maps in the second game were presented in the first game, Splatoon 2 was my first Splatoon game, so to all accounts all stages were brand new to me. I wasn't expecting so many of them to be presented again in a new game

Also no new ranked mode aside of the previous 4... not that I've played any yet, still not managed to get to level 10 but still feeling like I paid for mostly the same game again. Only thing that are spicing things a bit are the new specials

Well now looking at it to be fair, Splatoon 2 actually had mostly new stages at launch, only 2 out of 8 were from the first game, and by the end of the game's development, it was 9 out of 23.

It also had no ranked modes at launch, though they made some changes to Tower Control and Rainmaker. Clam Blitz was added later, I think it's very possible a 5th ranked mode is added later this time too - and again they made changes to Rainmaker and Clam Blitz which improved both modes. Only Splat Zones continues to remain the same because apparently everyone loves it, I think it's horribly unbalanced but it is what it is.

Anyways, this whole "paid for the same game again" was pretty much the entire complaint about Splatoon 2 from people who had played the first. This one changes... about as much, if not slightly more. Which is very little anyway.

Worst thing about it is definitely the netcode though. I don't know what happened there, it wasn't good in either of the previous games but holy god it's bad now. Takes anywhere from 2-8 minutes to get into a match, longer if you get errors which are super common, disconnects happen frequently and every match is a horrible lagfest with teleporting players and ink spawning out of thin air.

2 also added salmon run which was an entirely new mode and was really fun. The closest we have here is the card game thing. And, because the Wii U was dead, they needed to do either a port or a sequel to have a community for the game, so it was a bit easier to swallow.

Damn it Grubb getting everyone excited for WW/TP HD ports and Metroid Prime remaster

gtotheunit91 said:

Damn it Grubb getting everyone excited for WW/TP HD ports and Metroid Prime remaster

They were delayed to ruin his credibility. It's all coming together.

I would say developers are starting to get too comfortable with Cloud versions of their games, but considering the games that release a Cloud version for Switch are all much newer games, minus Kingdom Hearts, I'm wondering if it's more we're just seeing the limited and aging hardware of the Switch reach its limits.