By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Club Nintendo - Pokemon Presents POLL! | US eShop Charts 2/27 | Japan Sales Charts 2/21

Thoughts on Pokemon Presents?

Great! 4 23.53%

Pretty good 9 52.94%

It was alright 1 5.88%

I wasn't too impressed 3 17.65%

Nothing good 0 0%

Total:17

I've been going back-and-forth with whether I'll set time aside for Bravely Default II. Did try both demos and had mixed feelings overall. It's also the same week as Persona 5 Strikers.

The main thing interesting me is it's light-hearted and silly tone, almost like it's attempting to parody the genre. It's just whether or not the gameplay seems fresh enough, the jobs are well balanced and the fights aren't too grindy.

Around the Network

So I was thinking about what is still missing for the Switch in terms of Nintendo Franchises. Which made me make a list:

Pokemon (Sword / Shield and Let's Go Pikachu Eevee)
3D Mario (Odyssey)
Zelda (Breath of the Wild)
Smash Bros (Ultimate)
Animal Crossing (New Horizons)
Kirby (Star Allies)
Yoshi (Crafted World)
Brain Training (for Nintendo Switch)
Fire Emblem (Three Houses)
Luigis Mansion (3)
Mario Tennis (Aces)
Mario Party (Super)
Mario & Sonic (2020 Tokyo)
Paper Mario (Origami King)
Splatoon (2)
Xenoblade Chronicles (2)

Franchises that are going to be covered:
Mario Golf (Super Rush)
Metroid (Prime 4)
Bayonetta (3)

Franchises that are at least represented via some release:
Captain Toad (port+DLC)
Bayonetta (port)
Clubhouse Games (other game was DS 2005)
Donkey Kong (Tropical Freeze port)
Mario Kart (8 Deluxe)
2D Mario (Maker 2, New Super Mario Bros U port)
Miitopia (port)
Pikmin (3 Deluxe)

Franchises missing (last seen):
Star Fox (2016 Zero, 2017 II)
F-Zero (2004 Climax)
Mother (2006 3)
1080° (2003 Avalance)
Art Academy (2015 Home Designer)
Dr. Mario (2019 World)
Advance Wars (2008 Days of Ruin)
Chibi Robo (2015 Zip Lash)
Golden Sun (2010 Dark Dawn)
Kid Icarus (2012 Uprising)
Mario & Luigi (2019 Bowsers Inside Story port)
Mario Strikers (2007 Charged)
Mario Baseball (2008 Sluggers)
Nintendogs (2011 + Cats)
Style Savvy (2017 Styling Star)
Wario (2018 Ware Gold)

Did I miss any?
Personally I expect all the things that are last seen before 2010 to be dead with no revival in sight. I belive Mario + Sonic is more or less the successor to Strikers and Baseball.

Also there is a quite insightful thread on Era about the production teams of Nintendo EPD

Teams and likely projects, external teams have producers and staff to oversee development of other studios)

Team 1 (external): Bayonetta 3 + New Pokemon Snap
Team 2 (external): Smash Figher Pass Vol 2 + Mario Golf: Super Rush
Team 3 (internal): Breath of the Wild 2 + Skyward Sword HD
Team 4 (internal): Miitopia (together with Grezzo)
Team 5 (internal): Animal Crossing Updates, Splatoon 3
Team 6 (external): Metroid Prime 4
Team 7 (internal + external): Famicom Detective Club
Team 8 (internal): Unknown (3D Mario team)
Team 9 (internal): Unknown (Mario Kart, ARMS team)
Team 10 (internal): Unknown (2D Mario team)
Smart Device Group: Mario Kart Tour

Nintendos Parters:
Monolith Soft: Unkown internal project, likely support of Botw2
Retro Studios: Metroid Prime 4
Next Level Games: Unknown (Luigis Mansion)
NDCube: Unknown (Mario Party, Clubhouse Games)
Nintendo Software Technology Corp: Unknown (mostly do porting work, 3D World was their last project)
Nintendo European R&D: Unknown (Lots of small things, wrote the 3D AllStars Emulators, Ring Fit Heart Rate sensor and such)
Genius Sorority: Unknown (last was Pokemon Cafe Mix)
HAL Laboratory: Unknown (Kirby team)
Intelligent Systems: Unknown (Fire Emblem, Paper Mario)
Grezzo: Miitopia
Camelot Software Planning: Mario Golf Super Rush

Last edited by Marth - on 20 February 2021

Marth said:

There was a rumour floating around about Golden Sun, apparently tied to a prediction for a Mario Sports title out soon recently confirmed.

Shaunodon said:
Marth said:

There was a rumour floating around about Golden Sun, apparently tied to a prediction for a Mario Sports title out soon recently confirmed.

Nah that is just not happening.

Camelot, the studio that made Golden Sun in the past, is currently working on Mario Golf: Super Rush

And they are tiny and only have around 40 people. Making a HD Golden Sun is just not feasible with that small manpower. It worked for the GBA, but even the last title on the DS was a huge undertaking for the studio. And the game reviewed not that stellar and sold mediocre.

Around the Network
Marth said:
Shaunodon said:

Nah that is just not happening.

Camelot, the studio that made Golden Sun in the past, is currently working on Mario Golf: Super Rush

And they are tiny and only have around 40 people. Making a HD Golden Sun is just not feasible with that small manpower. It worked for the GBA, but even the last title on the DS was a huge undertaking for the studio. And the game reviewed not that stellar and sold mediocre.

Honestly, I'd prefer for Camelot to instead tackle a new IP being a spiritual successor to Golden Sun in place of a new Golden Sun. That name has now the reputation of a fatigued franchise that simply went bad in the end. It'd be easier for them to just start anew with a new world and other concepts than simply copy-paste what they did before.

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

Plants vs Zombies Battle for Neighbourville is being handled by QLOC, the studio that ported Hellblade and Dragon's Dogma to Switch.

It's also noteworthy as the first Frostbite Engine game on Switch, and will have gyro aiming.

https://venturebeat.com/2021/02/17/plants-vs-zombies-battle-for-neighborville-hits-switch-on-march-19/?fbclid=IwAR3IHVSW82NME9np58QFVw9yznFQNSabM7eRLB2T92-3HOmTGP17T7h5arU

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

curl-6 said:

Plants vs Zombies Battle for Neighbourville is being handled by QLOC, the studio that ported Hellblade and Dragon's Dogma to Switch.

It's also noteworthy as the first Frostbite Engine game on Switch, and will have gyro aiming.

https://venturebeat.com/2021/02/17/plants-vs-zombies-battle-for-neighborville-hits-switch-on-march-19/?fbclid=IwAR3IHVSW82NME9np58QFVw9yznFQNSabM7eRLB2T92-3HOmTGP17T7h5arU

Good porting studio get games not many are going to be really anticipating ... sad considering the work they've done on this one.

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

forest-spirit said:

Just finished the demo for Project Triangle Strategy (defend Roland path) and my impression is very positive. Some tweaks will be needed here and there but there should be enough time to polish it.
There seems to be quite a lot of talking, intel collection and decision-making in between battles and this adds another level of strategy to the game as your choices decide what characters will join you and how certain events will unfold. I guess this could turn some people off though.
Storywise, I'm pleasently surprised. There's quite more to it than just "three kingdoms fight for power" and judging by the demo there seem to be quite a few actors with their own ambitions and goals. I got some strong Game of Thrones-vibes at times.

I think the voting mechanic is really cool. It's interesting to have a game where you get to choose but don't necessarily get your own way. 

I think there is a little too much going on between missions. I'm pretty sure there was a solid 30 minutes of scenes before the first and second battle in the demo. The game is throwing so many characters at me that I'm still struggling to get a handle on the relationships. 

Gameplay wise, I'm still making up my mind. I get why they kind of throw you into the middle so you can see the complexity, but I'm still getting my head around the multiple systems going on here. I'm trying to do 

Spoiler!
the second battle without burning the town

and got smacked down my first try. Gonna give it another go in a bit and see if I've learned anything.

Overall, I'm happy for any entry in a genre that doesn't get a lot of love. The similarities are obvious, but there's more than enough to make this distinct from Fire Emblem (and maybe even a thing or two FE will learn, like having turns for characters rather than each side). So, hopefully it turns out well.

Also glad the Bravely series and Octopath line both seem to be going on simultaneously, although I'm a bit iffy on Bravely 2. Just not grabbing me like the first one or the second, but that may just be a consequence of being dropped into the middle. I'm still hoping there's some connection between this and the original games, which considering the series doesn't seem too unlikely. I like the character models just fine. 

Late Month Voting Reminder