By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

One of last year's most awesome and overlooked games on Switch is getting an expansion

Around the Network
curl-6 said:

One of last year's most awesome and overlooked games on Switch is getting an expansion

Never been too much into the shooter genre since my X360 days but the style of it is quite strange. Like a mix of 3D and sprites ? Or moreso stop-motion-esque, false 3D movement ? Can't truly pick out the right words for it 😅

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

Mar1217 said:
curl-6 said:

Never been too much into the shooter genre since my X360 days but the style of it is quite strange. Like a mix of 3D and sprites ? Or moreso stop-motion-esque, false 3D movement ? Can't truly pick out the right words for it 😅

It's intentionally designed to mimic the look of shooters in the mid to late 1990s, mixing modern and retro technology. :) 

There's a whole subgenre called Boomer Shooters that do this, attempting to emulate the FPS games of old.

I LOVE how they're doing this. A big part of my enjoyment of classic games is the way the music sounded. Now I'll get to play Super Mario RPG the way I thought the game looked graphically as a kid with that same amazing music

curl-6 said:
Mar1217 said:

It's intentionally designed to mimic the look of shooters in the mid to late 1990s, mixing modern and retro technology. :) 

There's a whole subgenre called Boomer Shooters that do this, attempting to emulate the FPS games of old.

I refuse to call them Boomer Shooters lol I'll forever call them Arena Shooters. It is a pretty big genre these days though. Arena Shooters definitely don't hold up today to modern shooters, so it's great that developers have chosen to perfect the formulas of old rather than forcing to modernize them ala Doom 2016 and Doom Eternal. If there was any 1 arena shooter franchise that would make it in today's gaming world, it would be Doom. 

There's several other notable Arena Shooters on Switch like Dusk, Warhammer 40K: Boltgun, Ion Fury (and its upcoming sequel Phantom Fury), and the Quake remasters. 

Nightdive Studios in particular has been remastering a lot of these old games too. They're currently working on a remaster of Star Wars Dark Forces that will be available on Switch at launch. Really looking forward to that one! Despite being a "Doom clone" that game actually invented the concept of looking up and down in your FPS games  

Last edited by G2ThaUNiT - on 03 October 2023

Around the Network
gtotheunit91 said:

I LOVE how they're doing this. A big part of my enjoyment of classic games is the way the music sounded. Now I'll get to play Super Mario RPG the way I thought the game looked graphically as a kid with that same amazing music

Yay!! ^^ Wish the Donkey Kong Country trilogy got this kind of treatment.

gtotheunit91 said:
curl-6 said:

I refuse to call them Boomer Shooters lol I'll forever call them Arena Shooters. It is a pretty big genre these days though. Arena Shooters definitely don't hold up today to modern shooters, so it's great that developers have chosen to perfect the formulas of old rather than forcing to modernize them ala Doom 2016 and Doom Eternal. If there was any 1 arena shooter franchise that would make it in today's gaming world, it would be Doom. 

There's several other notable Arena Shooters on Switch like Dusk, Warhammer 40K: Boltgun, Ion Fury (and its upcoming sequel Phantom Fury), and the Quake remasters. 

Nightdive Studios in particular has been remastering a lot of these old games too. They're currently working on a remaster of Star Wars Dark Forces that will be available on Switch at launch. Really looking forward to that one! Despite being a "Doom clone" that game actually invented the concept of looking up and down in your FPS games  

Dusk was amazing, one of the best shooters of recent years; the Switch port was stellar as well, near flawless 1080p/60fps.

Warhammer 40K Boltgun was fun too, and Prodeus kicked arse. Really looking forward to both Phantom Fury and Turbo Overkill, both of which are coming to Switch. These games tend to fit Nintendo's system well since their graphics are intentionally dated and so tend to come across nicely.

So gameplay session update.

Been mainly playing Nintendo wise....

-Super Mario 64 (via Super Mario 3D All Stars on Switch) - 69 stars at 10 hours. Gonna try to finish this before Super Mario Bros Wonder comes out, really excited for it.

-Final Fantasy III Pixel Remaster (Switch) - Really enjoying this version of FFIII, easily the definitive version of the game, a huge improvement over the original NES version which I played about 7 or so years ago and vastly superior to the 3D remake on DS which I played about 3 years ago thanks to the QoL improvements.

Having the ability to boost XP/Gil, turn off encounters and seeing where all the treasures are in the map is amazing. The remix music, the improved visuals, etc is cream on the top. The only complaints I have are some of the bonus abilities, effects that the jobs offered in the 3D remake (like Knights being able to use Cure) and the MP system using the same system as the original version. Other than that, its perfect.

Also nice addition to actually adding dialogue to the main characters who were pretty much mute in the original FF3.

Lv 29 at 5 hours - got the second set of jobs from the Water Crystal - am in the town of Amur.

Just a quick one... The SNES classic turned 6 just a few days ago.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Pemalite said:

Just a quick one... The SNES classic turned 6 just a few days ago.

Time flies fast.