By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
Metallox said:
Dulfite said:

Wait, the complete shutdown? Not just inability to add credits cards? Because they did that not too long ago, but allow you to add funds to a Nintendo account (via PC or Switch) and then use those funds on Wii U/3ds. That's how I bought Super Mario RPG in 2021.

If they are preventing any purchases through the eshops on those platforms that is very interesting to me and makes me wonder if they plan to have most, if not all, of the Wii U eshop games available on Switch by March 2023.

What you say in your first paragraph will happen sooner. eShop cards will stop working in August and, with that, it will become impossible to buy games in either system. Download codes will keep working until March of 2023. 

"Users who link their Nintendo Network ID wallet (used with Wii U and the Nintendo 3DS family of systems) with their Nintendo Account wallet (used with the Nintendo Switch family of systems) can use the shared balance to purchase content on any of these systems until late March 2023. After that, the balance can only be used to purchase content for the Nintendo Switch family of systems."

You can add money with a credit card on the Switch, and then spend it on the Wii U or 3DS shop all the way up until the shops close in 2023.  You just have to make sure your accounts are linked.  You just can't add money directly to the Wii U or 3DS shop with a credit card starting May 23 this year.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

Around the Network
Metallox said:

Nintendo just announced the practical shutdowns of the Wii U and 3DS eShops due March of 2023. Pretty understandable in regards to Wii U, but I personally would've let the 3DS live a little longer.

I think the problem there is that they are actually the same store.  The wishlist feature is combined.  You can see your Wii U wishlist on the 3DS, and your 3DS wishlist on the Wii U.  You can't buy them, but you can see them.  I think if they were going to close one, they had to close the other at the same time.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

theRepublic said:
Metallox said:

What you say in your first paragraph will happen sooner. eShop cards will stop working in August and, with that, it will become impossible to buy games in either system. Download codes will keep working until March of 2023. 

"Users who link their Nintendo Network ID wallet (used with Wii U and the Nintendo 3DS family of systems) with their Nintendo Account wallet (used with the Nintendo Switch family of systems) can use the shared balance to purchase content on any of these systems until late March 2023. After that, the balance can only be used to purchase content for the Nintendo Switch family of systems."

You can add money with a credit card on the Switch, and then spend it on the Wii U or 3DS shop all the way up until the shops close in 2023.  You just have to make sure your accounts are linked.  You just can't add money directly to the Wii U or 3DS shop with a credit card starting May 23 this year.

That's what I've been doing. You even get gold points from 3DS eshop purchases but you can only use them on the Switch.

February 25th will be the return of Majora’s Mask! Hopefully F-Zero X is next!

gtotheunit91 said:

Hmm, wasn't expecting Crunchyroll to hit the Switch. At least Switch now has the top 2 anime streaming services!

That's awesome news, I have a good portable device to stream animes on the go now. Today I have a 2 hours trip, great time to test the app 

Around the Network

Nintendo does whatever they think is in the best financial interest of the company. I predict we have one or more things going on here:

1) Wii U + 3DS software sales were so low that it was costing them more money to keep their digital stores going for much longer.

2) Wii U + 3DS software sales were so good that it was causing an opportunity cost issue because too many gamers weren't buying into the Switch ecosystem yet due to being happy with what Wii U /3ds offered and weren't getting as much money as they could if they shut those two down to pressure people to upgrade to a Switch.

3) They plan to release many of the Wii U/3ds available games on either Switch eshop or down the line on NSO or NSO+.

Has there been any word yet on when Nintendo will restock their N64 controllers? :(

The original N64 controllers are not uncomfortable.

CaptainExplosion said:

Am I the only one who thinks the N64 controller should've had a different design? Like this?

Just saying, since a design like this would've been less awkward and more comfortable.

Well, you're kind of Monday morning quarterbacking here... Or more like, twenty seasons later quarterbacking.

The N64 controller was designed like that, because dual stick gaming wasn't really a thing yet. The idea was you had a different grip for analog games and dpad games. It wasn't designed to use both. Although, basically no games actually used the dpad, so the whole thing became kind of pointless. It was sort of a prototypical second joystick with the C-buttons, but it wasn't there yet. Sony responded with the Dual Analog controller, and that basically became what we're still using today with some minor variations.

So, yeah, that controller is way better than the N64 controller design, but it's taking advantage of all the stuff that we've developed since then. It's a bit unfair to say that Nintendo should have came up with that design in 1995. The N64 controller was the important awkward middle stage between the SNES style controller and the dual stick controllers we have today.