By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Reggie: the 4K audience is “a bit too limited,” talks fan feedback

pokoko said:
JWeinCom said:

Because price is not the sole consideration.  If they only cared about price, then they could just release a system with the specs of the NES over and over again.  But, they also want their systems to have other features that they think their consumers will find appealing.  

Inherently would mean that it is a core value and not something to be pushed aside when convenient.  That hasn't always been the case.  I'm not saying that's wrong but I am saying that Nintendo doesn't have a problem with relatively expensive gimmicks/innovations, either.

They said that they inherently want it to be affordable.  That's not the same is saying they want the price as low as possible or that price is the only consideration.

Around the Network
Tmfwang said:
AlfredoTurkey said:

There is no such thing as "full" HD. That was a marketing gimmick from day one.

Umm, isnt 720p classified as HD, and 1080p classified as Full HD?

Full HD was a marketing term created to promote 1080P tv sets. The idea was to force 720P and 1080i owners to feel like they're getting "less" HD and thus, pony up for a better television. The problem with that is, where do you go after "full"? I mean, you can't get any more full than full, right? By definition, once something is full, there is no more room left... hence the idiocy of the term. Ultra is not fuller than full etc.

JWeinCom said:
pokoko said:

Inherently would mean that it is a core value and not something to be pushed aside when convenient.  That hasn't always been the case.  I'm not saying that's wrong but I am saying that Nintendo doesn't have a problem with relatively expensive gimmicks/innovations, either.

They said that they inherently want it to be affordable.  That's not the same is saying they want the price as low as possible or that price is the only consideration.

Inherent --

adjective

1.  existing in someone or something as a permanent and inseparable element, quality, or attribute

You don't get to say "inherently" and then "well, sometimes."  An inherent value is always there--otherwise, it's not inherent.  It's as simple as that.  This is nothing but PR speak from Reggie.  

HintHRO said:
According to that logic 1080p audience is also too limited, while it's not (look at PS4 sales).

1080p TVs are definitely more available and widely adopted than 4K. How does that allign the supposed logic you are purporting with what Reggie said?

I think Reggie might be onto something here. I fear that Microsoft in particular is falling into the 7th gen "arms race" trap.

I predict that the Wii U will sell a total of 18 million units in its lifetime. 

The NX will be a 900p machine

Around the Network
chakkra said:

He is right about the 4K thing, but it irks me to no end every time they use the phrase "we want our products to be affordable".  Like, really?? the New 3DS XL is still selling for $200 and the Wii U for $300!

And the Switch is more expensive than the PS4 (WITH A GAME INCLUDED!).

Now, I can accept the "we offer games that can only be played here" and "we offer new ways to play" but "affordable" is a word that they should be using.

What we meant was that you won't see any of their product piced over $300. BTW the top 3ds version (New 3DS XL) is still cheaper than Vita (the cheaper version), which makes it the cheapest handheld on the market (not to mantion that you can go as low as $90 with the 2DS) and I hate that PS4 price comparison. PS4 is almost 4 years on the market and you compare it with the system which was released 3 months ago. Remind me, how much was the PS4 at lunch? 

He said the same about HD in the WII era.

NintendoPie said:
HintHRO said:
According to that logic 1080p audience is also too limited, while it's not (look at PS4 sales).

1080p TVs are definitely more available and widely adopted than 4K. How does that allign the supposed logic you are purporting with what Reggie said?

His logic is that a reason to hold back on 4K is because the audience is too limited. This may be true. Full-HD TVs on the other hand are not too limited, still the Switch barely does games in 1080p. Not even games with last gen graphics. So what makes you think Nintendo will fully support 4K resolution when 4K TVs actually are commonly found in households? 

I play most of my games on PC and am a thorough image quality whore when it comes to visuals (I hate graphical artifacts that break immersion.) I still don't think 4k is worth the current price though. I can wait a few years for 4K and VR to become affordable.

HintHRO said:
NintendoPie said:

Not even games with last gen graphics. 

Splatoon 2, Arms, Fast Racing Neo,  Mario Kart 8 and many other titles are 1080p games on Switch. These four titles are also 60fps. So... facts can get in the way of a good narrative right?