By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - There will be PS5

Lawlight said:
caffeinade said:

Newness has little to do with the cost.
We also don't know if they will be using a APU next time 'round.

There was a rumour that they might be using a discrete GPU but I think they are happy with AMD's APU. But I'm fairly sure that the newer it is, the more expensive it is.

Die size, cooling and availability have much more of an impact than raw Newness.
R&D also does take a toll.
If you start designing a system, you cannot count on a part that will release at the same time as your system.
Especially if you don't know what it is capable at the time.
If you don't have the chips it is harder to write APIs, and provide dev kits for / to developers.
The current Ryzen chips, could be used in a dev kit today, you just need to know the limits of it as a APU and you can start designing your console.
Ryzen kicks the teeth out of the Jaguar, and in 2018 it will be far from new.



Around the Network
caffeinade said:
Lawlight said:

There was a rumour that they might be using a discrete GPU but I think they are happy with AMD's APU. But I'm fairly sure that the newer it is, the more expensive it is.

Die size, cooling and availability have much more of an impact than raw Newness.
R&D also does take a toll.
If you start designing a system, you cannot count on a part that will release at the same time as your system.
Especially if you don't know what it is capable at the time.
If you don't have the chips it is harder to write APIs, and provide dev kits for / to developers.
The current Ryzen chips, could be used in a dev kit today, you just need to know the limits of it as a APU and you can start designing your console.
Ryzen kicks the teeth out of the Jaguar, and in 2018 it will be far from new.

Has Ryzen been released yet?



Lawlight said:
caffeinade said:

Die size, cooling and availability have much more of an impact than raw Newness.
R&D also does take a toll.
If you start designing a system, you cannot count on a part that will release at the same time as your system.
Especially if you don't know what it is capable at the time.
If you don't have the chips it is harder to write APIs, and provide dev kits for / to developers.
The current Ryzen chips, could be used in a dev kit today, you just need to know the limits of it as a APU and you can start designing your console.
Ryzen kicks the teeth out of the Jaguar, and in 2018 it will be far from new.

Has Ryzen been released yet?

Yes, about the same time as the Switch did (a day before).



davygee said:
Solid-Stark said:
Hell to the yes!

It'll likely be backwards compatible.

The question is whether they'll release a PS5 Pro at launch (given fans know it will come and may hold off becuase of it), and if they do, do they release a PS5 Super Pro later?

The PS4Pro and Xbox One X in my opinion are only there to allow for 4K or Pseudo-4K gaming and thats it.

I see no reason why Sony would release a PS5 and a PS5Pro especially at the same time.  Yes it's understandable why they would release an update a few years into the cycle, but this should only matter if there is the need.

Like others have said before, we should be looking at a 2019/2020 PS5 release date.  It SHOULD be backwards compatible with the PS4 and we should expect a serious CPU upgrade; something that will easily allow 60FPS etc.  There should be enough horsepower to show better visuals at 4K native with 60fps if required.  And seeing as we have seen us moving from 1.8TF in 2013 to 4.2TF in 2016 and now 6TF in late 2017, surely we should be expecting over 10TF within the next 3 years.

You have to keep in mind that engines and games get more advanced and more taxing on hardware. So, let's say a Zen2 CPU may be enough to run current PS4 games at 60fps possibly at 4K or dynamic 4K, but it may not be enough for the games coming out in 2019/2020 and later. Therefore, there is room for superior hardware from launch. One that maybe does 4K30 and 1080p60, and one that does 4K~60 and 1440p60. Heck and with 8K coming, that's your dynamic capable PS5 Super Pro (5K?).

Ka-pi96 said:
Solid-Stark said:
Hell to the yes!

It'll likely be backwards compatible.

The question is whether they'll release a PS5 Pro at launch (given fans know it will come and may hold off becuase of it), and if they do, do they release a PS5 Super Pro later?

Honestly I think there's more people that would be the PS5 at launch and then double dip for a Pro than those that would hold off for a future Pro version.

Pro just seems to be aimed entirely at the "want the latest and best hardware" crowd and I don't really see them holding off on PS5 in any great number for that reason.

Possibly, but I think they would have had more sales of Pro hardware (higher ratio) if it was available from the start. I for one would have bought a PS4 Pro over standard PS4 at launch. 



e=mc^2

Gaming on: PS4 Pro, Switch, SNES Mini, Wii U, PC (i5-7400, GTX 1060)

Solid-Stark said:

You have to keep in mind that engines and games get more advanced and more taxing on hardware. So, let's say a Zen2 CPU may be enough to run current PS4 games at 60fps possibly at 4K or dynamic 4K, but it may not be enough for the games coming out in 2019/2020 and later. Therefore, there is room for superior hardware from launch. One that maybe does 4K30 and 1080p60, and one that does 4K~60 and 1440p60. Heck and with 8K coming, that's your dynamic capable PS5 Super Pro (5K?).

 

It is only in the last few years that decent FullHD TV's have become mainstream, a good 10 years since being introduced.  I fully expect decent 4K TV's not being fully mainsream for at least another 3-4 years.  Lets not forget that a high proportion of gamers still do so in their own rooms and not in a communal living area, that along with the fact that 4K TV's, to be beneficial need to be higher sized compared to normal 1080p TV's....so I fully expect it to take some time before 4K becomes a norm in every day houses.  Also don't forget that Bluray has been out for around 12 years now and consumers are still buying more DVD's than Blurays, so it makes you think...when exactly with 4K Bluray become more standard....

8K IMHO is a pipedream at this moment in time.  Even if it becomes a thing, it wont be used in consoles for any time soon (ie. 10 years).

I'm sure they can source a CPU/GPU combination that easily allows for 60fps at 4K.



Prediction (June 12th 2017)

Permanent pricedrop for both PS4 Slim and PS4 Pro in October.

PS4 Slim $249 (October 2017)

PS4 Pro $349 (October 2017)