By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - EA “exploring other products” for Switch, has to consider “player differences”

oniyide said:
Mnementh said:

Well, they can form the userbase by releasing games. If they release the same games as are existant on other platforms the "player differences" will reduce.

People were doing that with Wii u and we saw how well those games sold

Yeah sure. Mass Effect 3 only was on par with the Mass Effect collection.

oniyide said:
Mnementh said:

They were?

No, this doesn't work if you release one old port or something. The players that like EA-portfolio will get a console, if itgets all or most games, not if it gets one old port. There measure in a lot of expectations though. Players at this point expect to have all EA-games on Sony and no serious EA-support on Nintendo. But generally: if they release major parts of their portfolio, many gamers will lose their doubts.

Speaking of expectations: based on their stellar support of the 3DS I expected more from Atlus for Switch than this one SMT-announcement. If they not reinforce the trust of the gamers somewhere down the line, Atlus might lose potential on the Switch.

Wiiu had quite a few games that werent late ports, two CODs, 2 Assassin's Creed, a Splinter Cell, and they bombed all of them. Check the multiplats for the system and they all bombed. People love ignoring those. I think people expect to have ALL games (3rd party wise) on Sony, most on Xbox (sans some Japanese ones) and pratically none on Nintendo, which is been that why since N64 and its no one's fault but Nintendo.

The system just came out, give it some time. It wasnt like they were pumping out games on 3ds day one. Patience. Even then i wouldnt expect stuff like Persona 5

Just like how many years it took Nintendo to damage its look to a "kiddy" only product. Every 1st and 3rd party has to suck it up and deal with some bombs to correct the image problem. If you just do one thing. Good or bad. It's not gonna make 1997-present magically disapear. Nintendo's kiddy image has been with a generation of people growing up. So ofcourse they're gonna think this way. And be really hard to take Nintendo seriously. Even when every now and again some people try.

Around the Network
routsounmanman said:
V-r0cK said:

BraLoD is correct.  

Who told Nintendo to make a tablet/hybrid to begin with?  I swear people deliberately forget that Nintendo has the decision to make a system equal or greater than their competitors.

This is nothing more than the result of Nintendo's decision, which anybody could've seen a mile away, when making a significally weaker console than the competitors in which developers are more accustomed to.

Actually, they cannot. MS and Sony go on an arms race, often taking heavy losses as they drop prices and sell at a loss. They use money from other divisions to fund their gaming deficits. Nintendo simply cannot do it, as they are a much smaller company.

Isn't the price of producing a Switch is on par with the current price of producing a PS4?

Well, he's right about player differences. Just from looking at the nintendo's first party games compared to the others, ya can tell that their player base has very different tastes in games.

V-r0cK said:
routsounmanman said:

Actually, they cannot. MS and Sony go on an arms race, often taking heavy losses as they drop prices and sell at a loss. They use money from other divisions to fund their gaming deficits. Nintendo simply cannot do it, as they are a much smaller company.

Isn't the price of producing a Switch is on par with the current price of producing a PS4?

I don't think so, but considering it's a new product it's possible.

Aeolus451 said:
Well, he's right about player differences. Just from looking at the nintendo's first party games compared to the others, ya can tell that their player base has very different tastes in games.

Nintendo fans will disagree with you (at the same time will go on other threads and call 3rd party games imature and dudebro)... it's quite funny.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

BraLoD said:
Flilix said:
I hope Rocket League outsells FIFA 18 on Switch, maybe then they'll realise Switch players don't want a downgraded port.

Then Nintendo should stop making considerably weaker hardware than those where those games are build for.

And, how do you propose they make a more powerful handheld than the Switch without it being like $500 or eating through the battery in twenty minutes?

Around the Network
DonFerrari said:
V-r0cK said:

I don't think so, but considering it's a new product it's possible.

Aeolus451 said:

Nintendo fans will disagree with you (at the same time will go on other threads and call 3rd party games imature and dudebro)... it's quite funny.

That's so true.... lmao. 

Flilix said:
I hope Rocket League outsells FIFA 18 on Switch, maybe then they'll realise Switch players don't want a downgraded port.

If Switch players didn't want a downgraded port, then why did they get a Switch in the first place?

I hate playing the devil's advocate, but this is the main reason why third party devs discontinued third party support for the Wii and the WiiU.

Let me illustrate: Developers X makes an effort to fit their game into a low specs console, the low specs console owners get angry because the game is not like on other consoles, and they don't buy the game. Developers X, Y and Z see this behavior and stop porting into low specs console.

Keep boycotting third party support, yeah... that will do.

Edit: I hope both games sell well :)

BraLoD said:
Medisti said:

And, how do you propose they make a more powerful handheld than the Switch without it being like $500 or eating through the battery in twenty minutes?

I never proposed them to make a more powerful handheld, neither price or battery life.
I proposed the guy asking for not downgraded ports of games on more powerful consoles to ask Nintendo to make hardware compatible with it.

Which made no sense as the guy was talking about the lack of a feature that has nothing to do with the power of the console.

Mnementh said:

Persona 5 is exactly the game that would match the Switch. It is not too difficult for Switch (it runs on PS3), japanese RPG is a genre which should go well with the Nintendo crowd and Atlus has a good reputation. Nevertheless I don't expect Persona. But that is a game which would work pretty well.

just an fyi...

At least lately, Persona (main series) are Playstation specific. Shin Megami Tensei (main series) is Nintendo specific which Nintendo has revealed a new one in the earlier Switch direct. Of course there may be spinoffs like Persona Q for the 3DS and such but don't expect a numbered Persona game on Switch by Atlus. 

shoichi said:
Mnementh said:

Persona 5 is exactly the game that would match the Switch. It is not too difficult for Switch (it runs on PS3), japanese RPG is a genre which should go well with the Nintendo crowd and Atlus has a good reputation. Nevertheless I don't expect Persona. But that is a game which would work pretty well.

just an fyi...

At least lately, Persona (main series) are Playstation specific. Shin Megami Tensei (main series) is Nintendo specific which Nintendo has revealed a new one in the earlier Switch direct. Of course there may be spinoffs like Persona Q for the 3DS and such but don't expect a numbered Persona game on Switch by Atlus. 

Yeah, I know it is a Playstation-game. I only say it would fit pretty well. I don't expect Atlus to make that decision.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]