By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Can Splatoon 2 Sell 5mil Lifetime........ In Japan Alone?? [YeS It Will] [Update: 4.5mil Ship+Digital]

Miyamotoo said:
Well everything is possible, Splatoon 1 sold 1.7m on 3.3m Wii U consoles in Japan, that's more than 50% attach rate, and Switch will most likely end up selling much more than Wii U sold. I think Splatoon2 will be 3m+ game in Japan, so even 5m is possible.

Except massive attach rates are sort of common on underperforming consoles.*  Actually, I just made that up, now I'll have to go check... :)  But seriously, Super Mario Galaxy didn't magically sell 25 million just because it was on a much better-selling console than Super Mario 64.

I think 5 million in Japan alone is way out there, but I do hope for Splatoon 2 to have a much better showing worldwide thanks to Switch's improved sales.  I'm thinking more like 10 million, though.

*Hmm, checked a few series like Mario, Halo, GTA and it's kind of inconclusive.  If we want to take a pretty optimistic Mario Kart type scenario for Splatoon, then 3.5-4 million might actually be feasible for Japan, that would be nice to see.  I'd be shocked to see >4 million.

Around the Network

it will not even closely reach 5 million in Japan alone, sorry about that. It will "only" do 2.4-3.2 million.

It's a year 1 title and will sell for years. Anything under 5m and I'll be dissapointed.

5 million in Japan alone...?! You know what I believe it can (or at least close, especially with some bundles). I knew the original would be a success when I first saw it, was surprised when I found out so many thought it would flop. The Switch is a new and fresh start so let's get the game software sales bar high. Splatoon is a game with really long legs thanks to free DLC and in game events and is definitely a game that just has Japan all over it! I wonder if Splatoon 2 will get the Squid Girl crossover outfits and maybe even more crossover type stuff? Heck maybe it'll even get's own anime someday.

Splatoon is definitely a series that has yet to reach anywhere near it's full potential.

Kerotan said:
It's a year 1 title and will sell for years. Anything under 5m and I'll be dissapointed.

Im glad your optimistic like me but dont you find that silly? Your basically saying its the biggest ip in japan and by quite alot. Only game to hit 5mil in the past 5-6 years was AC.

Will DQ even hit 5mil with 3skus? Or any future pokemon? See now 👀

Around the Network

Uhumm, It's possible. Not easy, but I can see it doing it by virtue of being released early. I bet it will have AC legs and start big (at least 600k).

Bet with Teeqoz for 2 weeks of avatar and sig control that Super Mario Odyssey would ship more than 7m on its first 2 months. The game shipped 9.07m, so I won

If it does it would absolutely epic, it would be already epic selling 2 milions.

No chance whatsoever.

It is launching on a console with an install base of less than 5 million. Even if it sells very well for the rest of this year, and reasonably well through 2018, and still sells okay through 2019, *and* the Switch continues to sell very well, Splatoon 2 *may* get to 10mm worldwide. That gives you 2-3mm in Japan. Even that requires a whole lot of factors to fall in the game.s favor.

I still highly doubt that, and with the current stock problems, it wouldn't happen any time soon anyways.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

I could see 3 to 4 million. I think coming out soon after launch when there's only 1 million Switch's in Japan is gonna hurt it, as naturally people get more excited to buy a game when it comes out than to get a game that came out a couple years ago. Should sell at the very least 3 million though. I'm hoping to see 200k japan first week.