By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Koei Tecmo GM Reflects on NiOh’s Huge Success; Plans to Bring Big Titles to Western Market in the Future

Over the past 6 months, Japanese publisher Koei Tecmo has enjoyed great success in the western market following the release of A.O.T Wings of Freedom in North America and Europe, and more recently with Team Ninja’s superb action-RPG NiOh.

In a recent interview with MCV, Koei Tecmo’s General Manager Yasutomo Watanabe spoke openly about the publisher’s recent release, NiOh, its challenges and the companies plans to push more big name titles out to the western market in the future.

Nioh has been particularly challenging, as it’s a brand new IP we’ve been working on for years,” said Watanabe in an interview with online publication MCV.

It utilised all the resources of our company. We received unequivocal support from our western publisher, Sony Interactive Entertainment, and Nioh is performing very well so far so we are very happy with it.”

Following its release last month exclusively for PS4 in Japan, North America and Europe, NiOh garnered a lot of praise from critics and players alike for its combat, setting and difficulty; drawing strong comparisons with another of Japan’s big-name developed and published series – From Software and Bandai Namco’s Dark SoulsNiOh‘s success is testament to that comparison with over 1 million units sold worldwide to date.

The huge success of NiOh resulted in the action-RPG becoming Koei Tecmo’s most successful game in the west, something the publisher hopes will be repeated in the near future.

On the back of its 2 huge success stories of the past half year in the western market, it comes as no surprise to hear Tecmo’s GM talk up the publisher’s ambitions for the future, with more big name titles heading to the west next year and in the future according to Watanabe.

“We are proud to be a Japanese game publisher with unique content and approach and will continue to strive for success in the western regions.

Thanks to A.O.T. Wings of Freedom and NiOh, a lot more gamers are now aware of our company and are interested in our releases. Next year and going forward, we plan to release big titles for the western market.”

On the subject of Ninja Gaiden, another of Koei Tecmo’s big IP’s and a possible revival of the hack and slash series last seen back in 2014 with Keiji Inafune’s Yaiba: Ninja Gaiden Z, Watanabe had this to say:

We know a lot of our fans in the world have been waiting for the next Ninja Gaiden and it is one of the most important projects for us as wellAt the moment, we are not in a position to announce anything, but we are hoping to share good news with you once we are ready.”

NiOh is out now for PS4.

http://www.pressa2join.com/news/koei-tecmo-gm-reflects-on-niohs-huge-success

Around the Network

Sweet!

Predicted 15+ million lifetime-sales for God of War:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=234612&page=1

high hopes for Ninja Gaiden.

New NG game or GTFO!

The smartest thing they can do right now is release a god damn Ninja Gaiden collection on PS4. That would make them so much money.

"There is only one race, the pathetic begging race"

Around the Network

Can they just release Ninja Gaiden Black on PC? Guys please, I'll give you money plz do it.

I'm now filled with determination.

With all that talk about "tapping" the Western market, has me thinking on whether or not they are actually going to bother with the other platforms, because I sure as hell could love to buy some good games that could be sold on say Steam and be of high quality (just a suggestion KT, even though you have a lot to learn in the PC area). They should really tap the entire Western market though, if they want more money that is.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"