By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - GameStop: Switch has one of the highest attach rates of software and accessories that we’ve seen in a long time.

Told you launch day line up doesn't matter as long as there's one killer app. People buy new hardware at launch for the hardware, not the software.

As for momentum, the entire first year of software has been specifically and intelligently made to maintain momentum with a steady cadence of big releases, so that won't be an issue until at least January of next year.

Around the Network

I'm pretty much as optimistic as they come, but even I feel the outselling Wii prediction is a bit jumping the gun.. It *could* happen, though a few key things need to take place -

- A mainline Pokemon game, especially an openworld or MMO for Switch
- A steady stream of major first party games, along with a greater number of big 2nd and 3rd parites. Between Nintendo's support and the emphasis on indies, there doesn't need to be Sony/MS level but it does need to improve to a degree.
- A redesigned model or 2, to get some to rebuy
- At least a few price drops over the course of the next 5-6 years.

At the end of the day, it's still far too early to tell. There are a multitude of factors that are in play, and the market can be unpredictable. Though, if all of these things happen, it is certainly a realistic posibility that Switch could cross the 100 million milestone and surpass the Wii. Remember, this thing is also a handheld, and the DS ended up selling a freaking gazillion units, so it's not impossible.

The real test to get a much clearer picture of how the Switch will ultimately do is going to be how it holds up in the midpoint between launch and the holidays (July, August), as well as after all the holiday season hoopla has blown over early next year. If it's still going strong during these points, I'd say it's likely Nintendo's got a real success story on their hands, that's in it for the long haul.

"We hold these truths to be self-evident - all men and women created by the, go-you know.. you know the thing!" - Joe Biden

StarDoor said:

"That said, the Nintendo Switch has its challenges when it comes to reaching that goal. A recent study found that while half the population of the UK knows what the Nintendo Switch is, only 32 percent of those who heard of it intended to buy one. If that’s the case worldwide, the Nintendo Switch may face a long, uphill battle in its attempt to overtake the Wii."

Wait... what?!

The population of the UK is 64.1 million.

64.1 * 0.5 * 0.32 = 10.26 million

The Wii only sold 8.65 million in the UK! With those projected numbers, how is this an uphill battle?

http://harris-interactive.co.uk/consumer-attitudes-the-nintendo-switch/

That 32% doesn't include the 6% who have already bought/pre-ordered.

3.8M sales/preorders confirmed for the UK, lol.

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!

Hopefully third parties are paying attention. At launch, any number of ports could have been successful. It's not like the WiiU launch. With the Switch, the appeal is full console games with no compromise in portable mode.

I mean, selling a lot of accessories is nothing to be proud of. It means that customers find your product incomplete, out of the box.

Bet with PeH: 

I win if Arms sells over 700 000 units worldwide by the end of 2017.

Bet with WagnerPaiva:

I win if Emmanuel Macron wins the french presidential election May 7th 2017.

Around the Network
Cobretti2 said:
how can it have a high attach rate? Surely the hardcore gamer when they bought a ps4 or an xbox bought more than 3 games when those launched with several more.

There is like 3 games out (well here in stores anyway)

zelda
just dance
1-2 switch

They're mixing in accessories.  The whole thing is worded to be as vague as possible.  The Switch is going to sell a lot of extra accessories and I'm sure GameStop wants part of that pie--like their $600 "Starter Bundle".

When did Nintendo state they only estimate selling 40 million Switches within the next 4 years?

Well I mean... it's not like a candy store of options to pick from. However, this sentiment will ring truer, further down the line. I can see it having a very strong attach rate with MK, Splatoon, and Mario on the horizon.

Slade the Spade - Reborn

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCiuZkJjGLEh0IikHnSkfSyA

https://twitter.com/kwipgaming

Covert Agent | Professional Troll | Unbiased Fanboy

Dang, and I thought I was an optimist. It's way too early to say the Switch could pass the Wii.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

Just release Gamecube joycons, super mario sunshine hd, and watch sales explode.

Super Mario sunshine would be perfect for summer. I feel like they're saving it for next year though