By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Jim Sterling’s site under attack after Zelda: BotW review

potato_hamster said:
Mar1217 said:

Well, as I said in my first post, I knew he would do something along these lines but even not giving this game a proper amount of time without rushing it is pretty absurd.

He's still someone that I'm able to trust when it comes to being more realistic than others but I guess he's probably going for his ''saddic'' pulsion of contradictarian hidden under a good well thoughtout speech.

I bet dollars to donuts that if Jim gave this game a 10/10 you wouldn't begin to question his playtime. The fact of the matter is that we don't actually know how much he played this game other than that he sunk an indeterminant amount of time in the days leading up to a 2-3 day period where he sunk the majority of his time.  That could still result in 40-50 hours of play time overall. Ironically, Jim could have played the game more than the majority of reviewers that gave the game a 10/10 for all we know.

If he gave it a 10/10, no one would have even noticed. 95% of teh reviews have been out now. Another 10/10 or 9/10 or whatever would have gone completely unnoticed. It might get one comment on the metacritic topic saying "oh, jim gave it 10/10"

These late reviewers know that. No one is sitting on pins and needles waiting for anyones review at this point. Only way you get noticed is if you are outside the norm. In that case a score lower than a 9. Since last I had checked, there were none. It's not surprising that at this point we are having thse 6's and 7's pop up. They want their five minutes of fame.

Around the Network

If there's people that I can't stand in the gaming community is Colin Moriarty and Jim Sterling, not because of their opinions, just the "I'm a dick you're stupid and I'm right" way of presenting their opinion. So I don't feel bad for him, when you're an ass people are going to be assholes too. so the guys doing the damage are dicks, just like the victim. I say, let them fight.

onionberry said:

If there's people that I can't stand in the gaming community is Colin Moriarty and Jim Sterling, not because of their opinions, just the "I'm a dick you're stupid and I'm right" way of presenting their opinion. So I don't feel bad for him, when you're an ass people are going to be assholes too. so the guys doing the damage are dicks, just like the victim. I say, let them fight.

When a reviewer gives 10/10 or even a 1/10 doesn't it declare: You are stupid and i'm right?

Every person has his way of expressing his opinion. What matters though is whether he can back up his opinion with facts/personal taste and not by the way he expresses himself

pokoko said:
Rogerioandrade said:
Well... that was Jim´s intention since he started writing that review. Got what he wanted. Clicks and more clicks and a few minutes of fame. After all, people forgot about him since he left IGN

A)  IGN, huh?

B)  Why would he want "clicks" from people who just want to leave insults?

C)  He's become much more popular and well known since he left Destructoid.

Yeah Yeah... my mistake. He never actually worked at IGN. 

I feel so dumb right now... LOL.  I thought that because I just remember his name from some old IGN articles... I never read Destructoid.

sc94597 said:
potato_hamster said:

We haven't actually established that he did rush through the game though.

You haven't. Having been following it for the last week in anticipation for the review, I am quite convinced of his playtime because he explicitly made it clear what he was doing every single day in his podcast and on Twitter. 

Cool then. You should be able to give an accurate break down of how many hours he spent playing the game each day leading up to his review, and what he did in the game during his play through. So, approximately how long did he play this game?  What did he experience and what did he miss in the game?

Around the Network
monocle_layton said:
I hope people understand that 7/10 is still pretty good.

Besides, the score went to 97. So what? Is everything suddenly going to decrease in quality because it isn't 98 anymore?

Played it for many hours, beat it and loved it.

Saw that it slipped to a 97, so I smashed the game with a hammer. Good riddance!

golfgt170 said:
onionberry said:

When a reviewer gives 10/10 or even a 1/10 doesn't it declare: You are stupid and i'm right?

Every person has his way of expressing his opinion. What matters though is whether he can back up his opinion with facts/personal taste and not by the way he expresses himself

No I'm not talking about the review, his reviews are pretty good most of the time.

Rogerioandrade said:
pokoko said:

Yeah Yeah... my mistake. He never actually worked at IGN. 

I feel so dumb right now... LOL.  I thought that because I just remember his name from some old IGN articles... I never read Destructoid.

And yet despite not knowing you "burned him on a stick" about his past :P

KLXVER said:
monocle_layton said:
I hope people understand that 7/10 is still pretty good.

Besides, the score went to 97. So what? Is everything suddenly going to decrease in quality because it isn't 98 anymore?

Played it for many hours, beat it and loved it.

Saw that it slipped to a 97, so I smashed the game with a hammer. Good riddance!

same here, F___ this game

He did it for the clicks and attention. He got it.

Now that he got that, it's not time to complain. Maybe the next time he would learn to not be hyperbolic and let his issues with Nintendo out of a game.

Btw, I found also hyperbolic those reviews that calls BotW as the perfect and best game of all time.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile