Forums - Sports Discussion - Super Bowl LI: RIP Falcons (and monocle_layton)

Happy Valentine's day.

Chinese food for breakfast

Around the Network

Who fixed the thread? I wanted to post the "Dewey defeats Truman" pic.

mZuzek loves to pre-order

Who fixed the thread? I wanted to post the "Dewey defeats Truman" pic.

mZuzek loves to pre-order

RolStoppable said:
monocle_layton said:
What bothers me is that if the Patriots made that 1-pointer, they wouldn't have even needed to enter OT.

A lot of cool plays from both sides though. At the end of the day, a good game is what matters most.

If the Patriots had made that extra point earlier, they wouldn't have gone for two point conversions on both of their following touchdowns. An extra point has a 95% rate for success whereas a two point conversion is in the 40-50% range.

The existence of this thread explains why my NFL thread got so few replies.

Miguel_Zorro said:

The NFL Overtime format is garbage.

It's a lot better since they modified the sudden death rule. Previously it was really crappy that a team only needed to win the coin toss, move the ball over half the field and score a field goal to win. Now the defense gets a fair chance to give their offense a chance to get the ball.

As for this specific football game, given how the Patriots marched down the field again and again towards the end of the game and given how inept the Falcons offense was, is it even reasonable to expect that the Falcons could have won? Their defense was worn down because the Patriots had the ball for almost 40 minutes compared to the Falcons' 20, so in turn the Patriots defense was rested and still in good shape. The Patriots didn't even need many plays to march down the whole field in overtime. They made it look easy.

Agreed, the changes to the sudden death rule were positive.

I don't think the Falcons would have won in this case, even if they had a shot with the ball after the Patriots overtime TD.  But I still think they should have a shot.