Forums - Politics Discussion - The Economist Just Downgraded the US From a ‘Full Democracy’ to a ‘Flawed Democracy’

*All* democracies are flawed. We don't need a hyperbolic, sensationalist headline to tell us that. We're not legally nor technically any less of a "democracy" than we were on January 19th.

Should also note that the US is a Constitutional Republic, not a democracy. In fact, the Founders detested the very idea of a true democracy. A democracy means mob rule, that the 51% can tell the other 49% what to do. Our system actually serves to protect the 49%.



The Screamapillar is easily identified by its constant screaming—it even screams in its sleep. The Screamapillar is the favorite food of everything, is sexually attracted to fire, and needs constant reassurance or it will die.

Around the Network
Aura7541 said:
Surprised that the article made no mention of how Bernie Sanders was cheated out of the primary by the DNC because that was indeed undemocratic.

Surely that factored in as well... That's corruption though... 

Green098 said:

Well normally in a democracy the person who gets the most votes wins and the person with the least votes loses. So 'flawed' may be a discreet way to call it.

And so it begins. How long until the economy falls? At this point, their superpower status will fall apart the moment they fail another military adventure (and that will happen in less than a month)... 

It's had some time like that, so this report is way behind schedule... 



It was Britain, it is America, tomorrow France and next year, the world... 

Warning: This poster has a very negative opinion of Sony and Nintendo, Idea Factory and companies Tecmo Koei, EA, BioWare, Blizzard, Treyarch, Infinity Ward, Kadokawa and Sega. If you have very positive views of these and a negative view of Microsoft or Bethesda Game Studios, AVOID ENGAGEMENT AT ALL COSTS! 

    Valdath said:

    Good job upping the Rothschild count on this thread.



     
    I WON A BET AGAINST AZUREN! WOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

    :3

    Screamapillar said:
    *All* democracies are flawed. We don't need a hyperbolic, sensationalist headline to tell us that. We're not legally nor technically any less of a "democracy" than we were on January 19th.

    Should also note that the US is a Constitutional Republic, not a democracy. In fact, the Founders detested the very idea of a true democracy. A democracy means mob rule, that the 51% can tell the other 49% what to do. Our system actually serves to protect the 49%.

    Don't bother...

    Some people like that the US Supreme Court goes and decides things to all states instead of letting each look out for its best interest.



    duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

    http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

    Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

    http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

    Screamapillar said:
    1. *All* democracies are flawed. We don't need a hyperbolic, sensationalist headline to tell us that. We're not legally nor technically any less of a "democracy" than we were on January 19th.

    2. Should also note that the US is a Constitutional Republic, not a democracy. In fact, the Founders detested the very idea of a true democracy. A democracy means mob rule, that the 51% can tell the other 49% what to do. Our system actually serves to protect the 49%.

    1. That's a dumb statement, because it essentially implies that trying to measure the degree of democracy is useless. The article also says Trump is just a symptom of the state of democracy in the US and not the problem itself.

    2. Mob rule is a real problem only if a single party can get the majority of seats, which is inevitable in a two-party system. Here in Finland we currently have eight different parties in the parliament, and we don't have mob rule. It's not without its problems either, but it's definitely not mob rule.



    Around the Network
    CaptainExplosion said:
    Turkish said:

    Dayyum, slowly sliding into a dictatorship?

    https://www.thenation.com/article/the-economist-just-downgraded-the-us-from-a-full-democracy-to-a-flawed-democracy/

    Surprised it isn't already being classified as a dictatorship. It's already got the loud-mouthed sociopath who gets away with sexual assault, builds useless walls, demonizes specific groups of people, sleeps with an ugly gold digger, and wants to nuke everyone else.

    Thanks for nothing America, you elected the bringer of the apocalypse.

    That's a lot of hyperbole, but I find it funny that if can almost apply to Hillary. The one who defended Bill who actually truly committed sexual assault and adultery, who referred to African American youth gangs as ''super-predators'' and a quarter of the US population as ''deplorables'', and was issuing threats left and right to Russia, aka the country with the most nuclear weapons.

    Also LOL at the apocalypse line. So many people need to take a chill pill. He's been in office like 6 days.  Calling this a dictatorship undermines actual dictatorships in the world. Nice clickbait for their ad revenue though. Lots of anti-Trumpers gonna click on that to validate their own biases.



    It's doesn't matter what the US is technically called, fact is it is still flawed. Our founding fathers wanted qualified people to be in power. And yet, how is it we often see the opposite? Man, I want some PhD, university, inventor, philosopher, pimp, scholar smarty-pants to run our government, just like our founding fathers.



    The United States was not a democracy to begin with anyways so no worries, we can probably live without elected officials ...

    The only reason to call a democracy "flawed" is when all votes cast by every citizen are not equal when it's pretty much the case almost everywhere else or whenever the counting process is not impartial ...

    That rules out parliamentary systems altogether since it is usually the lower house and not the citizens that elect the executive branch. Then you have freakish cases of presidential systems like the United States that have anti-democratic values already built in to the constitution. We also have systems where there is both a president and a prime minister which still isn't purely democratic. No points are given to monarchies or one party states ...

    I don't quite understand why The Economist went on to downgrade the rating when the US still hasn't passed any laws during that time that would limit voting rights ...



    Well, I guess it's a good thing America is a Democratic Republic. Still, it's funny to see the media has learned absolutely nothing from this election. Same old nonsense. Handle Democrats with feather gloves, even if what they do is just as bad, if not worse than the guy before them. Then, the second a Republican gets in, bash him on any and all things, whether it is warranted or not.



    We were never a full democracy lol.