By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Switch Graphics! Don’t give up on them just yet.

Suke said:
I never gave up, I just never care. I have PC for my graphic need, just bring in the games :)

Hell yeah.
720p on a 6.2" screen will look so much better than anything xbox or Playstation can do (generally speaking).

Good art design > Pixel count
PPI > Pixel count

Switch = good art design (First party stuff) + good PPI

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
bigtakilla said:

Xenoblade WAS the thing that felt unique on the Nintendo console. It's more like you go to Mc Donald's because you love their burgers, but they also had the Mac Rib sandwich which comes out every now and again and is like the best thing on the planet. Then you go one time and they said they have a new take on the Mc Rib and it turns out it's just a hamburger with barbaque sauce on it. (Keep in mind, just an example. I hate Mc Donald's and the Mc Rib)

Your statement would also imply that Xenoblade and X were not interesting or unique and that they were boring. Well I'll just say that statement isn't true in the slightest. You should play them sometime.

Yeah, I kinda feel the same way. I loved the Xenoblade games for how different they were, but XBC2 so far looks stylistically just like every other big JRPG made in the last decade. It's a bit disappointing.

I know it's such a small thing collectively too, I honestly do.... I just don't get it.

It doesn't give the vibe of a monolith soft game though and it's so annoying. If they wanted to go Cel shaded, why not take the direction of Soraya Saga's amazing unique stylings found in Xenogears? I would have curled up in fetal position and died of happiness. Other companies have had great takes in anime style as well, while maintaining some sort of self identity. LoZ does it constantly. Ni No Kuni has done it successfully. Mario.

bigtakilla said:
curl-6 said:

Yeah, I kinda feel the same way. I loved the Xenoblade games for how different they were, but XBC2 so far looks stylistically just like every other big JRPG made in the last decade. It's a bit disappointing.

I know it's such a small thing collectively too, I honestly do.... I just don't get it.

It doesn't give the vibe of a monolith soft game though and it's so annoying. If they wanted to go Cel shaded, why not take the direction of Soraya Saga's amazing unique stylings found in Xenogears? I would have curled up in fetal position and died of happiness. Other companies have had great takes in anime style as well, while maintaining some sort of self identity. LoZ does it constantly. Ni No Kuni has done it successfully. Mario.

Same, first time I saw the original Xenoblade and X I was blown away by their vast fantastical landscapes and unique style. XB2 just doesn't grab me the same way, it just looks... generic.

caffeinade said:
Suke said:
I never gave up, I just never care. I have PC for my graphic need, just bring in the games :)

Hell yeah.
720p on a 6.2" screen will look so much better than anything xbox or Playstation can do (generally speaking).

Good art design > Pixel count
PPI > Pixel count

Switch = good art design (First party stuff) + good PPI

caffeinade said:

Switch Exlusive:
1080p60
Fast RMX

When it comes to showing the full power of Nintendo hardware, nobody beats Shin'en, not even Ninty themselves.

Around the Network

Switch is closer to ps3 than ps4 which is so sad to think about... Yes we should all give up on graphics and move on with our lives

shikamaru317 said:

Well, that Witcher 3 and Dark Souls 3 footage is running at 17 fps, but then again, since it's on PC it wouldn't have the level of optimization that a console release would. But on the other hand, Switch may have less than 500 gflops even when docked, we just don't know yet. I do think we could see some pretty impressive graphics on Switch in it's lifetime once devs get used to it, nothing mind blowing, but still quite good for something that is portable. The fact that we're getting Wii U level graphics undocked is quite impressive already. 

Remember that this is while running capture software on a low end card. You can confidently add 5 frames-per-seconds to both benchmarks. Of course, it would be good if anyone who owns this card could make sure.

Pemalite said:
FunFan said:

Before I started that comparison, exactly the line before, I said "doing some highly educated conjecture" meaning completely improvised guesswork. I thought the wink emoji was enough hint that I wasn't being serious. I myself have been quite the critic of using flops as a definitive measure of performance.

But I wanted a Maxwell chip that was compatible with Windows as the ARM based Tegra isn't yet, so there's no DS3 or The Witcher 3 benchmark for the X-1. I have to go with the best I have available.

Still. You should have probably recognized the other differences the chips brang to the table so people (Who aren't technically literate) don't take the flops you presented as gospel.

Wheres the fun in that?

Platina said:
If it runs well, then that's what I mainly care about but this is good to hear

But remember this is based on the footage Bethestha showed, which may not be actual Switch footage and the final Switch version may end looking worse than the 360 version, confirming that the Switch is an actual real, fully nutritious potato and forcing Nintendo to switch development back to the WiiU. That is also a posibility.

Cobretti2 said:
it is not about graphics its about being able to port easily without gimping the game too a shit unrecognisable level. if the gap is too different you may as well design a separate version and pay as well not get the game to justify the cost to build it for one platform.

Exactly! Which is why everyone should ask themselve how low are they willing to go? This is a very enlightening video demonstrating the difference there is between Max and Low settings in Dark Souls 3:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zgk0iZrWrTY

curl-6 said:

Switch graphics look fine to me. They may not match PS4 or Xbox One pixel for pixel, but honestly I think Mario Odyssey looks absolutely beautiful, and if that's the kind of visuals we can expect moving forwards, I'd be more than happy.

Wait a second! Weren't you just going to leave Nintendo behind?

“Simple minds have always confused great honesty with great rudeness.” - Sherlock Holmes, Elementary (2013).

"Did you guys expected some actual rational fact-based reasoning? ...you should already know I'm all about BS and fraudulence." - FunFan, VGchartz (2016)

FunFan said:
curl-6 said:

Switch graphics look fine to me. They may not match PS4 or Xbox One pixel for pixel, but honestly I think Mario Odyssey looks absolutely beautiful, and if that's the kind of visuals we can expect moving forwards, I'd be more than happy.

Wait a second! Weren't you just going to leave Nintendo behind?

I'm not currently planning to buy a Switch, but I am open to changing my mind if they can show they won't repeat the mistakes of the Wii U.

bigtakilla said:
spemanig said:

I don't believe for a second that XC2 being cel-shaded has anything to do with the hardware, and like Ck1x said, the original was plenty anime. If they wanted, they could have made all the models look like Shulk's from Smash 4 and it would look fine.

Nintendo makes everything that art-style. It's not a concession. It's what they do. GTAV, TLoU, and MGSV all run on (presumably) weaker hardware. If Nintendo wanted to make graphically impressive looking games on the Switch, they'd have no problems doing it. They just don't want to.

I know they could, my line of thinking leans more toward budget cuts than actual tech, as you said, the Wii and Wii U were able to pull it off.

It's just the eye shapes that's different from the original, though. The eyes and the cel-shading. That's not a cost cutting measure.

would be nice to compare the games running in a GPU similar to undocked switch(a 150 like gflops gpu)?
Could undocked switch run the AAA games? in low detail, low texture, 480p resolution could be possible??(and 720 on docked?)