By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Switch Sales Predictions: Open Your Eyes - UPDATE: Switch LTD Shipments Reach 111.08m by June 30th, Forecast for Current Fiscal Year Remains at 21.0m

Tagging. Shitz be getting real

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Around the Network

In Rol we trust

Brilliant.

I like this GAF post. Shows the early success of the Switch. http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=235336573

Bet with bluedawgs: I say Switch will outsell PS4 in 2018, he says PS4 will outsell Switch. He's now permabanned, but the bet will remain in my sig.

NNID: Slarvax - Steam: Slarvax - Friend Code:  SW 7885-0552-5988

This thread reminds me of the Splatoon prediction threads from 2 years ago.

Around the Network

Interesting thread, and it should be a very interesting few years to see where Switch sales go.

Though it is a small sample size, between my friends, family and a few co workers that are gamers I see a definite interest in the switch and Nintendo that hasn't been there for multiple generations.

Of the 15 people I know as gamers, only 3 bought a Wii U (and i'm pretty sure one was a used one).

I know that ten of them intend on getting the Switch within its first year, with three of them already buying one ( including a PC gamer who hasn't owned a console since PS2/Wii).

Like i said, its a small sample , but Nintendo is doing something interesting or different enough to get the attention of people who haven't played their consoles for years.

i personally think even getting to 40-50 million, which is possible, would be a great success, but that's just my opinion.

Nice predictions.

It's still really early, but I think 100 million looks very feasible now, and as Rol's commented, the low end predictions are dissipating. No way Switch will sell less than 20 million.

In my opinion, Nintendo has set the pace for Gen 9 and it's hard to imagine where Sony and MS will go from here. With PS4 Pro and Scorpio...is there any point in putting out a PS5 or XBox 4 in the next 18 months? Sony has already failed to beat Nintendo in the handheld market twice, MS just doesn't seem interested.

Well, I better tag this for later.

LurkerJ said:

1. Agree.

2. Superchunk is a vocal minority. Agree.

3. Agree. 12 people bought the Wii U, no one cares what they think.

4. Agree. Wii U's first year had lots of western multiplats, it helped... not.

5. System sellers they are, indeed. My problem is with the amount of games available to consumers in 2017 though, not just March and April. 

6. Droughts? No, I don't think so. They should've had more games ready for 2017. 

7. No arguing here.

8. I expect a continuation of decline in the west in 2017... until the Switch price comes down by a lot, but until then, I can't pit it against the 3DS. It doesn't matter if the switch is better executed than the 3DS at this point, when it's much more expensive and with an annual fee on top.

When will we get the first price cut? What if the Switch perception becomes too tarnished before it reaches an acceptable price point? 

9. Current gamers, former gamers, and even the non-gamers. In the end, The addressable market is "gamers". 

You are partially correct here. I've abstained from buying (Wii U, 3DS, PS4, PSV, XB1), they suck. It feels like generation 7.5 to many, but to me, that's an insult to generation 7. Most of these consoles took 2 steps forward and 10 steps backwards. I am not a former gamer though. PC (free-online & portability), 3DS and iOS fill my current gaming needs. 

So I guess my question is, how do we know the Switch is good for former gamers? It takes a leap of faith to say "yes" with a straight face, in my opinion. 

10. I don't care for the price. The market, however, does. The NS won't succeed the 3DS for a while. Nintendo is being greedy here, that's fine when you are in a position to play ball and if you are very confident in your product. Unless we are strictly speaking about Japan, a country that values portability a lot, you shouldn't be confident with that price tag.

You also ignore that paying for online is a very hard pill to swallow for some. One I personally haven't swallowed. Miyazaki's Demon's souls made me buy the dreaded PS3, but his bloodborne couldn't make me buy the PS4 because I refuse to pay for online gaming.

Ouch. The Switch hasn't received its first true exclusive yet and it's shattering all expectations. Evident by the perception so far, the price isn't too high, so I was wrong on that as well.

My eyes are opened.

Still early to make reliable predictions. I don't think Nintendo have satisfied their core audience yet in numbers, that might be 6 million and then we have to see how it attracts a wider more casual audience. It still feels to me that like the DS and DS lite situation the real Switch seller will not be the mk1 console but a smaller cheaper mk2 version.

However the reality is its based on a scalable architecture that will improve with time. The wii u was end of line and the last powerpc based console we will ever see. Nintendo have adopted pretty standard technology with Switch so what would have been a standalone model can now be updated with newer more powerful systems with fallback compatibility modes. By this nature alone the Switch will sell far more than wii u because it represents a range of gradually improving models rather than a single model.

Really the debate is how many mk1 Switches will be sold before the new improved mk2 model will be launched. I can see the Switch brand being used many years into the future so difficult to predict numbers for the complete Switch range. What if Switch models are still being produced into 2030 but those models are 10-30x more powerful than the current models do they still count in the numbers which could for the complete range lets say be 100-200 million or perhaps even more.

As ever it will be interesting to see how it unfolds with Nintendo.

I do feel the current success of the Switch is fragmented which isn't uncommon in gaming, some markets have taken to it strongly others more resistant to it. Sometimes you see one person stating its not selling too well in their country and another saying it's selling very well in their country and there is denial about the other's opinion which is a bit ridiculous because clearly both can be true.