By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Spencer: Scorpio Isn’t Trying To Compete with High-End Rigs, It’ll Have Console Price Point

Of course it isn't. Or else it would be above 10 TFLOPS.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network
TheSting said:
Whatever the price the consumer has almost a year to save up for it. We waste wayyyyyy more than that in a year. Hopefully it'll be around $450-500. That i wouldn't mind

As a og x1 owner it is piss'n me off to no end.  

Im spending 1k for hardware in a gen, F that shit.  Especially with most if not all games will be on PC to.  

Hope that includes $499

That doesn't really... mean much. It depends on your definition of "high end rig" that could be up to $5000. I expect $499 price point for Scorpio currently.

499$ is my guess, when the scorpio launches.
By the time it releases the PS4pro will be 349$ (or lower).

Alot of xbox fans see the scorpio as the savior of the xbox one, that ll somehow make its sales numbers go insane.
I honestly dont think that will happend, its gonna have tough competition from the PS4pro.

PS4pro price advantage (maybe 150$ more to get a scorpio instead), and the games lineup of the PS4.... its not gonna be easy for scorpio.

Around the Network
KBG29 said:

There should be no issue for Sony or Microsoft building $1000 high end consoles that only end up with maybe 5 million users. As long as they still offer $200 variations with lesser CPU/GPU power on the same architecture, then development and scaling will not be an issue. We are never going to have the optimization we saw in the PS2 and before era again. That fact that games come to so many platforms has killed that. We should now have broader platforms with power ranges from cheap to enthusiast. We won't get the same bang for our buck, but we will still have unified platforms with highly optimized OS's and unified online networks.

Why not just buy a high end PC rig instead ? U want the consoles to become some sort of Steamboxes ?

And no, there is no place for premium 1000$ dollar version with 5 mil userbase imo. Because if u want to achieve full power, u will have to build exclusive features to utilize that power. There is the point u have to decide u are premium or mainstream, and mainstream will always win.

On topic - I hope Scorpio will just be a 4k/60FPS console. Keep ur word on console price point, Spencer. 

malistix1985 said:
WoodenPints said:

Gonna be interesting to see how people react, for 4 years the ps4 has been the better buy from a technical point if you want to play games on your television, if you bought a xbox you did it because you like the games better or the fact its a better media player.

Either way, how will people decide when next year the xbox for the first time this gen will have a significantly better console from a technical perspective, the extra memory and much faster GDDR5X memory will make more difference then the ps4pro did.

Im excited.

Sony will combat that stronger hardware Scorpio, by being really aggressive with the PS4pro price, and a stronger game lineup.

Get ready to see that Scorpio at 499$ in stores, while the PS4pro is 349$.

And we ll see if people are willing to pay 150$ "more" for that scorpio.  Price advantage isnt to be underestimated.

Also Sony's games lineup for 2017-2018 is nuts.... that alone could probably sway alot of popular opinion on what to get.

Egelo said:

Im spending 1k for hardware in a gen, F that shit.  Especially with most if not all games will be on PC to.  

... that's my logic exactly.

This statement seals the deal that the ceiling will be no higher than $500. MS doesn't have to go insane, just build a console that's just more powerful than the PS4/Pro so they can market it as such.

I think 499 is still a console price, or even 599 is still considered console price , and if they have new CPU and 12 GB memory, i am expecting to be expensive.

They are not competing with PC, Xbox One console is a PC now. They need to amp up the spec because all there games will be made as multi platform windows device.