By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Bethesda’s Todd Howard on Switch: “One of the best demos I’ve ever seen”, promises support

Nintendo is back homies

Around the Network
Culipechi said:
Nintendo is back homies

JWeinCom said:
Nuvendil said:

Well he would have gotten to see more in terms of system capabilities and actual functionality.  Where as we saw a trailer meant to be "representative" of what it can do.  And only what they wanted to show.  So he probably has more knowledge of what the Switch can do and handle.

Maybe I would have liked it better if it was running actual gameplay footage and stuff, or at least footage from new games instead of ports.  But, there's something really big missing for me.  Unless the system is just way more powerful that we expect, there needs to be some big hidden feature.

WagnerPaiva said:
Please make it better than Where´s Waldo...

Dunno if that's possible.  When Waldo goes to the moon?  Tears.  Every time.

LOL =D I chuckled

My grammar errors are justified by the fact that I am a brazilian living in Brazil. I am also very stupid.

^I really hope so!

Don't want to be too optimistic, but this sounds really really encouraging coming from someone that usually doesn't give a lot of credit to Nintendo. Also Skyrim is pretty much confirmed.

Around the Network

The important part here, in my opinion, is that Nintendo was talking with people like Todd Howard almost a year before launch.  It was Pete Hines, another executive at Bethesda, who went off on Ninteno for a lack of communication.

"The time for convincing publishers and developers to support Wii U has long passed," Hines said. "The box is out.

"You have to do what Sony and Microsoft has been doing with us for a long time," he added. "And it's not that every time we met with them we got all the answers we wanted, but they involved us very early on and talked to folks like Bethesda and Gearbox [sic] and saying, 'here's what we're doing, here's what we're planning, here's how we think it's going to work.' To hear what we thought, from our tech guys and from an experience standpoint, what we thought.

"You have to spend an unbelievable amount of time up front doing that. If you're going to just decide, 'we're going to make a box, and this is how it's going to work and you should make games for it,' well, no. No is my answer."  Source

It was a surprisingly honest answer from someone in PR and you could tell he believed every word.  It really does seem like Nintendo listened after the Wii U dish of humble pie.  If that's the case, it should be great news for Nintendo fans.

Jranation said:
Wheres the " This is just some PR stuff" comments?

I remember hearing that when Nvidia and Ubisoft praises the switch!

There were pretty good reasons to be cautious about both of those, to be honest.  Very different situations than with Bethesda.

that is insanely positive sounding, for the Switch demo to seem so inviting and great to third parties

also unlike EA or Ubisoft, Bethesda never has pledged support to a Nintendo system before. My point being that its a pretty great sign if a third party game developer, a big one a that, is magically interested now. Seems more genuine. SKyrim is obviously a gurantee probably on release but will be interesting if some new Bethesda releases are on the Switch too

Mystro-Sama said:
They can promise anything but if this system doesn't sell they ain't making games for it. Its simple economics. That being said I really do hope Nintendo knocks it out of the park with the Switch.

Sales are a part of it. But due to hardware issues they didn't bring anything to Wiiu at all. This is definetely a more promising start from them.

Let's see how Skyrim performs saleswise first. I may buy it at launch with the basic model. Not interested in splatoon.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

It's nice that after 15 years Nintendo realized some outreach is a good thing, but I can't help but think this is too little, too late.

This is a game that's 5 years old on ... 5 other platforms already? I don't see it selling well at all, and then we'll see what his tune is.

We heard lots of execs gushing about the Wii U and 3DS in the early days too, and most of them bailed out.

Nintendo needed to be building these relationships like a decade ago so they could build a foundation for an audience, because they haven't this audience is now entrenched with a Playstation or XBox and I don't see that changing, especially these days where people are locked into online infastructures (ie: if you change platforms you lose the ability to play with your friends who also have bought a PS4/XB1 to play with you, as also parodied on South Park).