By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Discussion Thread: The Greatest Games Event 2016 - Finish Your Lists!!

#1. Get equipped with this amazing game.

Around the Network
BraLoD said:
1. Not LoD

LoD

Bet with bluedawgs: I say Switch will outsell PS4 in 2018, he says PS4 will outsell Switch. He's now permabanned, but the bet will remain in my sig.

NNID: Slarvax - Steam: Slarvax - Friend Code:  SW 7885-0552-5988

#2 - Pokemon SoulSilver

Crystal used to be my favourite, but the Gen 2 remakes are pretty much Crystal + Gold/Silver + more. Simply put, the Johto region and its content were always the best, but the remakes managed to make it even better.

Gen 2 stands out for 2 reasons: it tries to be open world, and it offers the best post-game content (including the 2nd adventure).

The open worldness is simple. After you beat the 3rd gym and enter Ecruteak city, you can go anywhere. The main problem is it sacrifices challenge from trainers and Team Rocket, but I think it was fine. Giving players freedom is always good. Then it goes back to linearity from Gym 7 until E4. And here's where it gets good.

A 2nd region. Kanto, of all regions. You get 8 more gyms, a remixed OST, and another adventure up to Mt. Silver, which has one of the best final bosses ever. 

But HG/SS don't stop there. There's also many legendaries to catch, Pokeathlon (the best side mode in Pokemon), new areas (Pokemon Safari), you can battle every gym leader again, get 1 starter from each gen, meet characters from other regions. And while it may be just aesthetic, walking Pokemon is the best. It improves the player-to-Pokemon relationship.

Beautiful graphics, amazing soundtrack, great cast and plot, some of the best Pokemon, semi-open world, challenging, freaking Red; in my humble opinion, this is the perfect Pokemon game.

Bet with bluedawgs: I say Switch will outsell PS4 in 2018, he says PS4 will outsell Switch. He's now permabanned, but the bet will remain in my sig.

Hint #1 - Paintings and no order.

2. Hint: At some point you can pay a guy and his dog to slay enemies.
Hint 2: A named sword is on the boxart of this game in some versions.
Hint 3: Both hint 1 and 2 make appearances in some shape or form in the newest game in the long standing series.
Hint 4: Hint 1 is Yojimbo, and Hint 2 is Brotherhood.

Around the Network
Slarvax said:

Mario 64?

Seems like an obvious choice though so I'm not sure.

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time as guessed by Entropio

And there it is, finally. After some time of discussing games, this is the point where we reach the top game of all, the number 1 greatest game of all time. 'The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time' certainly is that. What can be said? The game equals perfection in every way and it would be the only game I would ever give a perfect score. At least up to the present day, who knows what the future brings. This game is usually on my mind, even when playing something else, because this is what I'd rather be playing!

The game features the most classic good versus evil story one could imagine. In fact, there's a lot of comparisons to be made between it and 'Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic' in the #2 spot, so you could guess what kind of story I like. In the end there's no need for something too complicated. In the words of architect Mies van der Rohe; "Less is more". Link is an unsuspecting youth growing up amongst a tribe known as the Kokiri, when one day he is called upon by the guardian of the forest, the Deku Tree. As it turns out, he is not a Kokiri himself, but left there hidden away after birth because he is the child of Legend and needed to be watched over until time came.

One of the most epic moments in gaming as a whole is when the player enters the chamber behind the Door of Time, and pulls the legendary Master Sword from it's pedestal. Link is entombed within the heavenly Sacred Realm to wake up seven years later, only to find the world now under the depressing reign of the evil Ganondorf. When the game seemed over already, it turns out it's actually three times larger than the part you already played, and some of the best moments are still ahead. Unparalleled world and level design decades ahead of it's time, a feel of epicness and wonder never again seen and memorable event after memorable event make the game something special from start to finish.

I was already familiar with the series, and 'A Link to the Past' was already one of my favorite games. Even as a child in an age when there wasn't really much of an internet to speak of, I was very well aware of this game's impending release. I don't think I've ever been more hyped about a game release either before or since. I begged everyone in my family to get me this game; someone, please, buy me this game. I would wash the dishes for a year. I even proceeded to draw a picture of the box-art to show people so they would know what to look for. It was wrong though, I used lower-case letters instead of upper-case for the title, and colored it gold instead of black. Though my parents got the message even though it wasn't perfect, but thankfully, as it turned out this game was.

There's many more stories and memories attached to this game, and I could go on for a while, but five paragraphs is already two more than the other games outside the Top 3 get. Still to this day, when I once again see the end credits roll, I watch it without blinking an eye. It remains ever as epic. 'The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time', is the greatest game ever made.

So here it ends, no more hints.

First I'd like to say I had a lot of fun with this again, guessing all your games and reading all your stories. And I hope at least some of you had fun reading mine. So thanks guys! Thanks Leadified! And in advance (or for some, it already happened), a Happy New Year.

Lastly, under here are some statistics like the amount of games from the main list by platform (counted by a game's original platform only) for each platform I own, winners in each category are bolded.

Nintendo
Sony
Others
Decades
Nintendo
Playstation
Philips Videopac G7000
1970s 1
Super Nintendo
Playstation 3
Atari 2600
1980s 2
Nintendo 64
Playstation 4

1990s 27
Gamecube
Playstation Vita
0 Windows PC
2000s 17
Wii

Mac OS
 5 2010s 3
WiiU
SEGA

Series (more than 2)

GameBoy/Color
Mega Drive
0 Mobile
Mario 6
GameBoy Advance
Dreamcast

Zelda
DS 1

Star Wars
3DS

Sim

S.Peelman said:
Slarvax said:

Mario 64?

Seems like an obvious choice though so I'm not sure.

Haha, no. 64 was in my 20 something

Alrighty guys today is the final day so make sure to: PM me your final lists (the easiest option for me) or to post your list in the official thread ASAP.

The plan so far is this:

• Official Thread will be open until Friday
  • Discussion Thread will be open until I finish the results

I'm not sure when exactly I will have the results finished since this is my first year hosting the event and I have another university term starting soon but I will post updates in this thread and on my wall. Thank you all for partcipating and I hope you all had a lot of fun .